question about Zoom RT-223 Drummachine

Hexer

Nov 1, 2003
Germany
Visit site
I bought one a few days ago because you can use it to replay existing midi-tracks with its sounds. as I write a lot of my stuff in Guitar Pro, this seems a great demo-recording solution for me.
thing is: I'm having problems getting it to do this! I got this:
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_maudio_midisport_uno_prodinfo.html
as a midi-interface, because this was what the shops support-guy suggested when I asked for a simple, inexpensive way to get my midi-tracks to the RT-223.

the manual doesnt really say much about how to get this working. I did everything they say there, but didnt get it to work so far. I guess my problem is mainly setting up the computer/software so it does what I want it to do

can anyone help me???

this is a difficult question to answer without being there, but a few things you need to set are these:

set up your software midi track to "send midi" on a particular midi channel. I usually choose channel "10" just so it doesn't get confused with other instruments, but you can choose any MIDI channel you want. then you have to make sure the drum machine is on the same channel. find the midi section on the drum machine. it should be labelled "midi receive channel" or something, and set that to the same as the software on your computer.

and obviously have the MIDI plug from the USB device's "midi OUT" going to the "midi IN" on the drum machine.

good luck!

I guess MIDI channel 10 is the default for the zoom:

Setting the MIDI receive channel
for each track (MIDI)
Setting range: oFF, 1 - 16, AUt (bass track
only) (Default: drum track = 10, bass track = 9)
This item sets the MIDI channel for each track.
Available settings for the drum track are oFF (not
received) and 1 - 16.Available settings for the
bass track are oFF (not received), 1 - 16, and AUt.
“AUt” is a special setting for playing GM
compatible standard MIDI files. When the RT-
223 receives a program change message for GM
bass sound, it automatically switches the bass
track to that MIDI channel.
When the [FUNCTION] key is pressed followed
by pad [()] (MIDI), the display for setting the
drum track/bass track MIDI receive channel to on
or off is shown. Hold down the [DRUM] key or
[BASS] key (current setting for the track is shown
on the display), and use the VALUE [+]/[-] keys
to change the setting.

yes, channel 10 is default.

I already did everything you said:
I opened Cubase SX, imported a drum-miditrack, set "in:" on "all midi inputs", set "out:" on "Evolution USB M Out" (which I guess is the right, its the only USB-device it mentions except "Evolution USB M Out (Emulated)"
I also set the drum-computer up as described in the manual and connected the interface to the PC via USB and to the Zoom via midi-out

what I didnt know how to set in Cubase was "bnk:" and "prg:" (both set on "off" by default). also "map:" was set to "no drum-map" by default.

anything else that I have to do? or any ideas on what I did wrong?

remember: I'm really new to this, so it may very well be something that everyone else would do without even thinking about it...

so you set the output midi channel in cubase to channel 10 as well?

and you plugged your audio outs of the drum machine into the audio inputs of your soundcard? ;)

if you did all that I can't see why it won't work. try hitting every note possible in cubase's midi output, maybe the note range being used in your drum midi is different than the note range the drum machine is looking for?

otherwise it sounds like you set things up correctly, so I can't say why it won't work. double check your midi connectors again and make sure the "midi out" from the USB device is going to the "midi in" on the drum machine.

and reboot your computer. heh.

sorry!

Hexer said:
hm, I think I did all that....

how would I change the note-range?
well first thing would be if cubase has a piano roll thing with a keyboard layout, hit every note on that to see if the drum machine makes any sound at all...or program a midi track with notes hitting everywhere on the map (C1 to C5 or whatever range it has). if you hear something outside the range that the original notes are programmed in (probably C3 or C4 and one or two octaves up from that) then I can help you.

I made a midi-track that plays every note from C0 up to B9 (highest possible) and loaded this into cubase.

I set everything up and let it run, I heard NOTHING form the ZOOM, dunno what to do now...........

ok one more thing to try. I think I've been sending you on a wild goose chase since I didn't read the zoom manual [I figured it would act like a sound module responding to individual notes like a lot of drum machines, but I guess not]...but try this one last thing.

set up cubase to "transmit start/stop clock".

follow the instructions in the zoom manual on page 70.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/archive/English_Manual/E_RT223.pdf

if that doesn't work, my best advice is to sell the zoom and buy Drumkit From Hell 2. it's only about $100 US, and sounds better than any drum machine I've heard. and it should work just fine in cubase.

where in cubase do i find the "transmit start/stop clock"-option?

the problem seems not to be in the Zoom, I just watched the midi-interface. It has 3 control-LEDs and it seems the thing doesnt do anything.... so I guess the problem is in the interface or in cubase

a quick google search found me this: (might be bad news for you...)

Since the release of Cubase SX/L, many users have reported problems when slaving other devices to Cubase via MIDI Clock. This doesn't seem to affect every user, but if you notice your external devices not synchronising correctly to your Project, Steinberg first recommend making sure that the SysEx option is enabled in the Thru group of the MIDI Filter panel in the Preferences window — which it should be by default.
There's a reason for this: many devices send out MIDI Clock data whether you ask them to or not (consult your manual to see if your device needs to be set to only receive MIDI Clock, rather than transmit it as well), and if this information is sent to Cubase and then resent, via the MIDI Thru facility, back to the device, it's understandable that some confusion can occur. Enabling the SysEx Thru Filter option forces Cubase to filter out all incoming System Exclusive MIDI data (including MIDI Clock) and ignore it.
The second thing to bear in mind when using MIDI Clock is that the MIDI Clock commands supported by Cubase include Start, Stop, and Continue, which all do pretty much what you'd expect them to by their names — Start tells a device to start playback, Stop tells a device to stop playback, and Continue tells a device to continue playback from the point where it was last stopped.
However, it turns out that not all equipment that can be synchronised via MIDI Clock supports the Continue command. Many drum machines fit into this category. So if you notice the device you have slaved to Cubase via MIDI Clock not resuming playback when you're part-way through a Project, it's worth enabling the 'Always Use MIDI Clock Start' option in the Transport panel of the Preferences window, forcing Cubase to use the Start command instead of sending Continue commands.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun04/articles/cubasenotes.htm

Actually that might not be relevant at all, but you can at least check the menu item they mention in here, and that might be where you'd find the transmit start/stop clock option as well.

but seriously man, if I were you I would pick up Drumkit From Hell 2 (not Superior, it's quite expensive), it's cheap and should work well with cubase...and sounds great.

hmmmm, I have a german version of cubase and I'm really having difficulties finding the options they are talking about... I checked a lot of the options available in cubase but didnt find that sysex option (wtf.... shouldnt be all that difficult, right??)

the Zoom DOES support the continue-command

an other ideas? I have a feeling, that the problem is mainly in the communication to the USB-interface, it seems its ok, but doesnt do anything when its supposed to.

sorry man.. the only other thing I recommend since you've checked everything I can think of, is to try different gear as a process of elimination in troubleshooting. borrow/rent another drum machine and try it. same with your midi interface. bring the zoom to a friend's place who does recording. you must know someone*? hopefully.

OK heres a stupid question ... but sometimes its the simple things .... You do have the Audio outputs from the zoom going into your DAW right ?

If you play the zoom normally can you hear it through your monitors ??

Da Fukn Guru

guitarguru777 said:
OK heres a stupid question ... but sometimes its the simple things .... You do have the Audio outputs from the zoom going into your DAW right ?

If you play the zoom normally can you hear it through your monitors ??

Da Fukn Guru

no, I have a pair of headphones attached to the Zoom, just wanted to try it.
also: shouldnt I SEE it react, even if I dont hear it? normally the pads iluminate as they are played (no matter if you play them directly or if they're played by a patern or something like that)