Questions about PA Systems

Dec 3, 2008
Hey guys. This is going to sound kinda lame but I'm entering a "talent show" for my university and I need to supply my own backing track for the song I am doing a vocal cover of, Dream Oblivion by Dark Tranquillity.

I've read a couple of articles on how to hook an MP3 player to a PA System but none of them really dealt with what I need help with: what do I need?

I have this PA System:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-APS12-12--Powered-PA-Speaker-105488282-i1474995.gc

What cables do I need? And how do you guys recommend me hooking it up? Is there any specific way or do I just plug-n-play?

ALSO, when I got my PA System I bought the cheapest cable for my mic that Guitar Center has. It broke within 3 days and couldn't pick up the signal. I returned it and got the same cable for free. 2 Weeks later it broke again.

I am not yanking the cable out of the mic or anything, but now whenever I hook the cable into my mic, it seems very loose--I can "jiggle" the cable all over the place and the signal keeps on cutting in and out from the pa system.

What cheap cables to hook my mic to my pa system do you guys recommend? Thanks again! :)