Quick comments on RoA.

Lord Chimp

New Metal Member
Oct 11, 2002
Visit site
I received my copy of _Rooms of Anguish_ in the mail the other day. I have been buying an obscene amount of Cds lately so usually I don't listen to new releases until weeks or months after they come out. However, my excitement was hefty for this release so it jumped the line (despite my waning interest in "prog metal" related things). I am listening to it for the fourth time now.

I am blown the hell away. The first thing that hooked me was the huge, epic sound of this album. The choir-led intro, the big keyboards, the onslaught of Alex's drumming, the desperate emotional vocals... all contribute nicely to the "hugeness" of this album's sound. and that intro to "In the End"...that is the definition of "EPIC". (to me, being epic gets you bonus points.)

Dave's tone is a lot better on this album, and his flamenco influence continues to implant an original dynamic in the band's sound, which is already distinctive and remarkable.

New bassist Chris H. kicks reams of ass and the rhythmic interplay on this CD is just gahhhhhhh---awesome. This stuff sounds so painstakingly composed. It's almost chaotic and impenetrable at first but I'm slowly getting a grasp of all the intricate playing and writing. The songs are feeling very cohesive and well-written/arranged as I listen more.

Chris S.'s vocals are incredible. He reminded me how much power can be unleashed with this vocal style. Some of the vocal lines on this album blow my mind. The "No!!! I will not deceive..." part of "With these Words" (when it comes back in near the end) is one of the most chilling things ANY prog metal singer has ever done.

I know the band reads the forum a lot so I will say: you guys have really done an amazing job. I hope this album really catches on because Power of Omens deserves so much attention. There is nothing like this band in prog metal right now (the rhythmic complexity combined with the epic, intense sound). _Rooms of Anguish_ is terrific and distinctive work.

Cheers,
Clayton

oh, one more thought...that female singer you picked up is awesome. Sadly, what often happens when people bring in female guest-singers is that they don't have cool voices and it doesn't gel with the music. Her performance on "In the End" is killer. That part is so ethereal and magical.

WOW! I can't believe I beat Dave to the punch on this one!

First of all, Thank you for the kind words, Lord Chimp!!! You guys have no idea how much it means to all of us for you to take the time to come here and post your thoughts on the CD- it really pumps us up!

Of course, I really dig the fact that you like my playing ;)- This is by far the most challenging thing I've ever attempted, and the pressure was on for me to perform- especially taking into consideration what everyone would be expecting on RoA. I'm glad that the love and work we put into it sounds like it paid off.

Again, thanks for the glowing reviews guys! Spread the word!!!

Chris H

WOW!! :OMG: This review just knocked me on my ass!!!!!
lachen76.gif
LOL!!!

Damn!!! that was extremely expressive and very very much appreciated!!!!

Chris definitely beat me to the punch and said everything I would have said as well.... (and the only reason why he beat me was because I was doing something he should have been doing...rehearsing with the band...
wut98.gif
) LOL!!!

Thank you so much Clayton for the incredible/inspiring words...I for one am really happy that you enjoyed the CD that much...when we work so hard on something like this, it becomes all worth it when we read comments such as yours and everyone else that has high praises for it....especially when you all take the time out to post it. It never goes unnoticed, and words can never describe the appreciation we have for you!!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and by the way...if you really enjoyed the woman singing on the CD, her name is Michelle Loose (pronounced Lozee) of the band Brave www.bravemusic.com
She's got a beautiful voice, and completely blew me away the first time I heard her...we were very fortunate that she agreed to guest on the disc...I still get chills everytime I hear the mid-section of "In the End" ;)

~D

np - the sound of my bed calling me.... :lol:
xvergnuegen01.gif