Quick mix clip (real drums, mic'd cab, real bass, etc.)

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
This is the first time I've ever tried to put anything together using entirely real sources (no POD for guitars or FruityLoops for drums :lol:) so I thought I'd post it up here... I just did it quick to kill time and have something to practice on so it's just a super condensed clip of Slaughter of the Soul by ATG.

Guitars are mahogany Ibanez RG with EMG 81 in bridge through a Boss GT8 just running a tube screamer sim into a Single Rectifier running through a Mesa OS 4x12 with V30s. SM57 about half inch from the grill cloth pointed between the dust cap and the cone. I put no effort into experimenting with mic placement, I just stuck it where it's "supposed" to go and hit record :loco:
There's a weird resonance that you can hear really obviously on the big chugs near the beginning, not sure where they came from, maybe reflections in the room because the cab wasn't isolated or anything? Try and ignore it :lol:

Bass is a Warwick Rockbass through a Yorkville 1x15 combo that I took the line out signal from.

Vocals were done handheld using an Audix OM3.

Drums are Yamaha Stage Custom with mostly Sabian Evolution cymbals, SM57 on snare top, i5 on snare bottom, D6 in kick and ATM450s on OH. Snare and kick are blended with samples.

I'm an awful drummer so forgive the sloppy playing. No EQ on anything yet except a high pass on the overheads. Vocals have a gate, comp, and verb but none of the other tracks have been touched with any processing...

Am I off to a good start...?

http://www.ashesofthefallen.net/Slaughter Clip.mp3

Hey Adam, let's see - first off, this is a really soft mix, even for an unmastered one (not like that matters to the sound, of course, just happened to notice). Not a fan of the guitar tone, sounds kinda fizzy and metallic. Also, there's this pretty bad ringing after each of those stops right before the "GO!" which you might wanna trim back. The snare is too low volume-wise, but from what I can tell it sounds good. And I really can't hear the kick at all, except in the sustained double-bass part, where it seems to sound good, but once again hard to tell cuz of the level. I dig the sound of the vox, both performance-wise and tone, good job on those!

Oh yeah, and I can't hear the bass at all either.

EDIT: Just saw you mentioned resonances, which I assume is the ringing I was talking about; honestly, it kinda sounds like a string-muting issue to me on the abrupt stops, but who knows!

I'm a complete dumbass, I was wondering why the stereo spread on my overheads was so awful and upon inspection of the waveforms it appears that I recorded the left signal onto both tracks and didn't record the right signal at all. How that managed to get past me I will never know... Someone have a facepalm picture?

Thats weird, because I hear that part of line6 high gain fizz that makes me not like them for recording... even rough tracks... don't know how you managed to achieve that with a rectifier...

Don't know what to tell you, settings on the amp were vaguely something like presence 9 oclock, bass 9 oclock, mids 12 oclock, treble 12 oclock, gain 12 oclock with the channel volume at about 11 oclock and the master cranked to about half.

Yeah, honestly, the tone is pretty much what I've come to expect from the Single Rectifier/Rectoverb; I dunno how/why they're so different from the Dual + Triple, but in all my multiple experiences playing one at my local Mesa dealer, I just really have never been impressed! Anyway, the snare is better, though now I can hear it's a bit muffled sounding; try upping the bottom mic (though honestly, I've never used one before so I don't even know what effect upping it has besides more snap :loco: ) and/or boosting the highs from like 6-7k up. I can hear the bass better now, which rules (might be a tad too loud now actually), but the kick could still really come up IMO!