Quotes Thread

"If." - Something some Spartans said in response to a threat of military action.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
~Carl Sagan

"Without contraries is no progression. Attraction and repulsion, reason and energy, love and hate, are necessary to human existence.
"From these contraries spring what the religious call good & evil."
~William Blake

"Enlightenment itself, however, which reminds faith of the opposite aspect of its separated moments, is just as little enlightened about itself. It has a purely negative attitude to faith so far as it excludes its own content from its purity and takes that content to be the negative of itself. It therefore neither recognizes itself in this negative, in the content of faith, nor for this reason does it bring the two thoughts together, the one which it puts forward itself, and the one to which it opposes the first. Since it does not realize that what it condemns in faith is directly its own thought, it is itself in the antithesis of the two moments, only one of which- viz. in every case the one opposed to faith- it acknowledges, but separates the other from the first, just as faith does."
~Hegel

"I shall never tire of underlining a concise little fact which these superstitious people are loath to admit: namely, that a thought comes when 'it' wants, not when 'I' want."
~Nietzsche

"Julian's always been really sensitive about the whole Patrick Swayze thing because, when we were kids in school the other kids used to tease him and call him "Patrick Swayze"... Julian was reeeeally into Dirty Dancing. I remember one time me and Ricky were coming over to get Julian to go ride bikes, and we walked in the trailer and Julian was dressed up like him, pretending he was in the movie Dirty Dancing... Ricky told everyone at school and from then on they teased him, 'Patrick Swayze'..."
—Bubbles

"What over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!" -John Belushi

"I'm really happy for Coach Cooper and the guys who've been around for 6-7 years, especially our seniors." -Bobby Hoying, OU QB

"This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria...I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing." -Pat Glenn, weight lifting comm.

"Rotarians, be patriotic! Learn to shoot yourself." -Gyrator, Chicago journal

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nations history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century." -Dan Quayle, US VP.

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Brittney Spears

"This is my maiden voyage. My first speech since I was the president of the United States and I couldn't think of a better place to give it than Calgary, Canada." --George W. Bush, as reported by the Associated Press, Calgary, Canada, March 17, 2009

"It's like we go through life with our antennas bouncing off one another, continously on ant autopilot, with nothing really human required of us. Stop. Go. Walk here. Drive there. All action basically for survival. All communication simply to keep this ant colony buzzing along in an efficient, polite manner. 'Here's your change.' 'Paper or plastic?' 'Credit or debit?' 'You want ketchup with that?' I don't want a straw. I want real human moments. I want to see you. I want you to see me."
-- Waking Life

"Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."

- Yoda

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

- Olórin

"What over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!" -John Belushi

"I'm really happy for Coach Cooper and the guys who've been around for 6-7 years, especially our seniors." -Bobby Hoying, OU QB

"This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria...I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing." -Pat Glenn, weight lifting comm.

"Rotarians, be patriotic! Learn to shoot yourself." -Gyrator, Chicago journal

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nations history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century." -Dan Quayle, US VP.

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Brittney Spears

Lol at Dan Quayle and Brittney Spears.