R.I.P. Mikko Laine

Rest in peace Mikko,

and my condolescence to friends and family, those are your darkest times, in thoughts I am with you.

My mind is also with the unlucky driver who goes through the worst emotional hell right now like nobody else of us does.

I count myself lucky not having witnessed this tragedy, but still, emotions haunt me every day. I've only heard about it Monday morning in the castle and, alas, car problems made us move our asses over the border for having full insurance available if needed be. I ran away, without hugging each and everyone in the sadness of this dark morning.
We've been overwhelmingly helloed on Friday, had the greatest time of year, and also the most evil one, and I just went off. I feel ashamed, although even knowing I've had no chance of doing different.

Thank you Renè and all for standing so firm during this tragedy, your shock must sit deep inside you, I am with you!

As for all of us, we should remember not the accident, but Mikko during the last hours in his life: being on stage, playing, and being among people who celebrated his music.

Lighting candles in Mikkos honor should take place each Sunday after the last gig in front of the venue, for each and everyone to join and all to see.

Ray

From the website (http://progpower.eu/):

To say a final goodbye to Mikko Laine, we invite you all on Saturday October 29. We think it will be good to come together one more time to share all our feelings about the disastrous accident, in which guitarist Mikko Laine of Sole Remedy from Finland, died a couple of hours after ProgPower Europe. We will play the full Apoptosis album and probabaly 3 new songs already recorded by the band together with Mikko. You also will be able to sign a condoleance book and a condoleance card that we will send to Mikko’s family. This way you will be able to personally say goodby to Mikko. There are also some ideas for a commemorative stone, but we are not sure yet.

The basement of Sjiwa will open at 20.00 hrs and hopefully many of you will show up. The address of Sjiwa is Hoogstraat 1a, 5991XC, Baarlo (L), The Netherlands.

For those of you who are not able to attend or who live to far away, please sign the online condoleance. We will print all condoleances and together with the condoleance book we will send everything to Mikko’s family.

Hi, I don't usually post here but I have posted on Facebook. I just wanted to come here and express my sorrow at the loss of one of the Prog Power family. RIP Mikko. To wake up the news on Monday was dreadful and such a shock. We walked back the castle in the early hours of Monday with Jukka and Arrturi laughing and joking all the way, then to learn that they had received the news within an hour of returning to the castle was just awful. My thoughts are with Mikko's family and all the members of Sole Remedy.

And to the Prog Power team, you are amazing and this must have been so hard for you guys too, but I am so glad you have decided to continue with this most wonderful and friendly festival. You have 300+ supporters watching your backs all the way!

I was woken up by the phone in the middle of the night. I had left the festival early because I had to drive back to Sweden early in the morning. The phone called once, I shut it off, it called twice, I shut it off again and was seriosly angry cause everyone at the festival knew that I had to get a few hours of sleep to be able to drive home the day after. On the third call I had to answer, and my awnser was pretty rude since I thought some drunken bastards called from the after party. I was wrong. Someone called to see if I was OK, and then I got the news that someone had died. Since I was half asleep it was so surreal. I almost didn't understand what I was hearing at first. After the call I couldn't sleep anything more that night. I had a few hours on my own wandering who it was and what had happened. At 5.00 a friend got back to the room and told me that it was probably Mikko.

Sinced I couldn't sleep any longer I left the Castle at 5 and had 14 hours in the car back home. It gave me time to think and to understand. 30 minutes from home I got stuck in a traffic jam. I called my wife, and told her what had hapened at the festival, and right there at the motor way I broke apart.

I'm came home to my kids and my family. Mikko didn't. I have been to the festival every year. This was number 13. During these years I can only remember one bad incidence. Just one. A little fight a few years ago, so this accident shook the whole "ProgPower Family". This festival is all about love, friendship and good music. Something like this shouldn't be happening at a small festival like ours. But it did.

I never talked to Mikko myself. I never knew him as a person. This accident is hard for me, so I can only imagine how hard it is for those being there when it happened, for his band mates, his family and loved ones, and naturally for the unlucky fellow who was behind the wheel.

I hope you are doing great up there Mikko. I will miss your music, and at least it makes me happy to know that you spent your last day doing what you loved and surrounded by the best people on the planet. The ProgPower family. Together we will stand strong and forever remember what hapened that night and celebrate our great memories of you. R.I.P!

I still have no words for what happened. more than a week ago and i can still see his face and hear THAT sound......................

but to "quote" someone else:

I hope you are doing great up there Mikko. I will miss your music, and at least it makes me happy to know that you spent your last day doing what you loved and surrounded by the best people on the planet. The ProgPower family. Together we will stand strong and forever remember what hapened that night and celebrate our great memories of you. R.I.P!

It's been a while and we don't want to bring back bad memories, but we have to share our thoughts and condolences regarding this whole unfortunate situation.

We were in the backyard when the accident happened. We took Mikko's pulse a few seconds after the accident. It was one of the most harrowing things we've ever experienced. It is such a fucking shame that it happened. We were right there and we were useless - couldn't help him in any way. That hurt much more than witnessing the accident itself. So unfair and senseless. And such a horrible ending to what had been one of the most wonderful experiences of our career as a band. We went on with the rest of our tour keeping this in the back of our heads.. such a shame.

From the bottom of our hearts, we'd like to express our deepest condolences to Mikko's friends, family and bandmates. To everybody who was in the audience. To Rene and everybody who organized this superb festival. To all of the bands. We wish everything had happened differently..

Șerban, Alex, Marian and Eugen - White Walls.