R.I.P. -- my cat

Sorry to hear about the cat, and I have to wonder if this was somehow tied into him scratching himself badly.

Oh man, I'm so so sorry Paul.

I know how sad it is to lose a member of the family. I've lost my 4 kitties over the past eight years...each just about two years apart from each other. It never got any easier, in fact the last one was the worst. I lost Trixi almost two years ago....and I'm still on a self imposed 'break' from having any pets.

Hope you feel better soon.
HUG.gif

Damn dude. I'm extremely sorry to hear that the Zombie Kitty died. As someone who's owned a cat before, it's pretty hard to deal with the loss of a long term owned pet.

My condolences. \m/

I only heard William and Justin talk of the cat, but I always hate to hear about anyone losing a pet dear to them. My dog is like my son...my illegitimate canine son, but son nonetheless. I am sorry for your loss :(

Wow, came back after two days and found this huge thread! Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Here are some pics of the cat, in slightly happier days.

Aww man, so sorry to hear that! Poor little guy :- Hopefully it wasn't the flea spray! My goodness, what a scary thought! Maybe one of the fleas gave him the virus.. Cats are great, especially the ones that we bond to the most. I miss my little furballs, too. Are you going to get another kitty? *hugs*

Probably not for a while. A few friends have offered cats or kittens, so I might reconsider. I took up his water and food bowls, but haven't had the heart to pack up the litterbox. Well, I'm also being a bit lazy, plus he used it maybe once after I completely cleaned it out last.

=( poor kitty.

Sadly most flea treatments not only don't work, but can cause harm. Such as that Hartz shit. But who knows what happened to your kitty. I find it odd that your kitty died while at the Vet's office though...

I was a bit surprised m'self ("I think I'll take my cat to the vet's so he can, uh, DIE.") But after talking to the vet who oversaw his care, I've no doubt they did all they reasonably could: high-oxygen environment cage when he was having trouble breathing, two X-rays, two blood tests, an injection to help him (if it was an allergic reaction), etc.

BTW, it wasn't Hartz that I thought could be the culprit, but "Natural Chemistry" flea spray.

Paul, I'm *so* sorry to hear about your cat. I doubt the treatment you gave was fatal, though. Please let us know what the necropsy turns up. Mine are 14 and 12, so they're getting up there but I hope to have many more years with them. 8 years sounds incredibly short. If you get lonely and want to come play with mine... waitaminnit, that doesn't sound so good!! :oops:

Shaye

B-B-But what would Urban say? :)

Seriously, I appreciate the sentiment.

Sorry to hear about the cat, and I have to wonder if this was somehow tied into him scratching himself badly.

It's possible, but he was actually getting better before I took him into the vets'.

+++!!!

Paul, how are you feeing? Are you doing okay?

I'm doing okay. The house seems so much emptier, now. I have to stop myself from looking around for him, wondering why he didn't come to the door when I get home from work.
I have to remind myself that I can now close the door to my bedroom if needed -- I couldn't before, because he'd scratch to get in.
It's weird to be lying in bed and not have the cat bounding across the bedroom and jumping into the bed, or sitting at the computer and not having the cat come and jump onto my lap.

For those of you who have met my friend Ripper, he was the one who got me this cat (from a friend of his who couldn't keep him at her apartment) because he thought I was lonely and needed some company at my house.

Oh, well. I'll get another cat (or maybe better yet, a kitten) eventually. :kickass:

Pellaz, if you get a kitten, pictures are a MUST. I mean, they're necessary if you get a grown cat too, but I LOVE KITTEN PICS. To the point that Met-Al looks at me funny and backs away. I love kittens. XD

Oh, I'll definitely take pics. More pics than I took of "Zombie Kitty."

Incidentally, that was not really his name. I kept trying to think of a cool name for him, something from fantasy fiction or something, but in the meantime I just called him "cat" or "kitty" (in the appropriate melting tone) and it stuck. :)

Probably not for a while. A few friends have offered cats or kittens, so I might reconsider. I took up his water and food bowls, but haven't had the heart to pack up the litterbox.

I'm doing okay. The house seems so much emptier, now. I have to stop myself from looking around for him, wondering why he didn't come to the door when I get home from work.
I have to remind myself that I can now close the door to my bedroom if needed -- I couldn't before, because he'd scratch to get in.
It's weird to be lying in bed and not have the cat bounding across the bedroom and jumping into the bed, or sitting at the computer and not having the cat come and jump onto my lap.

Went the very same thing earlier this year myself when my B.B. ran out the door. I wasn't home and my roommates were having a loud drunken party. B.B. only trusted me so he was pissed during the party. The problem is he had no place to hide because I had put a cloth under my door to prevent him from scratching up the carpet to open it. If I hadn't done that, he could have just pushed the door open like aways and took a little nap on my bed. Instead, he ran out the door into the cold and was gone for two weeks. I cried like a baby, after I scolded my roommates. :cry::mad: It took two days before I could pick up his water and food, the litter box was still there when he came home. During those two weeks, I didn't know what to do. It was frustrating and lonely not having my little brat-prince tripping me as I walked, pushing my bedroom door open and jumping on me just as I fell asleep, following me around the house to the point of stalking, and nibbling the stray pieces of cheese that "accidentally" fell on the floor. I even missed having to keep him away from pillow, off of my laptop, and out of the bathroom while I showered. :lol: B.B. came home, but even if he hadn't, only a few weeks later our patio was adopted by a mom and 4 kittens, and they brought an immense amount of joy and love into my life that can't be measured. So maybe now isn't the right time for a new kitty, but just like the One Ring, when the time is right, the kitty will come to you :) *hugs* Keep strong and know that Zombie Kitty is still with you! Who knows, maybe animals get "recycled" and he'll find his way back to you in a new fluffy baby kitten. :p

Sorry to hear about your cat Paul, losing a pet can be tough. I'm allergic to cats, but I always thought if I had to be reincarnated as an animal, I'd wanna be be a cat.

=( poor kitty.I find it odd that your kitty died while at the Vet's office though...

Really? I don't find it odd. Sometimes, in many areas, trying to find a good and reputable vet is like trying to find an honest used car salesman. I know plenty of people with vet horror stories, and have read about many many more. From what I've read/heard, the vet industry could use some serious clean up.

Also, I've used FrontLine on my dog, Mayor Bones(English Springer Spaniel), and it's always worked well with seemingly no side effects.

Sometimes, in many areas, trying to find a good and reputable vet is like trying to find an honest used car salesman. I know plenty of people with vet horror stories, and have read about many many more. From what I've read/heard, the vet industry could use some serious clean up.

That is probably true. However, in my case, I think the animal hospital I used -- Dacula Animal Hospital -- did their best to get my cat through it. They came well-recommended from several people with lots of pets, and the vet who worked with my cat was always responsive and moreover, sounded like he really cared.

Also, I've used FrontLine on my dog, Mayor Bones(English Springer Spaniel), and it's always worked well with seemingly no side effects.

Yep, FrontLine is exactly what the vet recommended, basically saying that everything else (except, presumably, their magical kill-all flea pill :)) was shiite. Expensive, but it works.

Now, I'm engaged in a vicious War On Fleas at the house. Anyone have any recommendations?

The vet recommended sprinkling 20 Mule Team Borax on the carpets everywhere, then vacuuming it up, at least twice a week for a while. For other areas, he recommended any flea pesticide spray that's labeled effective for at least 4 months, and safe for pets after drying. (This was back before the cat passed away.)

The war is ceaseless. The most we can hope for is an occasional break in the conflict. (with apologies to M. Moorcock :) )

The borax will work, though you might need to use it a couple of times. Put some socks and slippers on and let it hang out in the carpet, use a brush or a broom to get it in deep in the carpet. if you're still having problems after that, flea bombs should kill what's left.