Rant thread

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I really want to punch motherfuckers in the face right about now.

If there's one thing I hate more than most, it's getting ass-raped by your local mechanic, whom you've been going to basically your entire life.

My car had been making a squeeking sound from the passenger rear wheel. Didn't have time to fuck with it for about a week, then finally jacked it up and pulled the tire. Drum seemed fine, everything in the assembly seemed fine. BUT - the tire had a bit of play (you could wiggle it top to bottom/side to side, etc) and this is normally a sign of a bad wheel bearing.

Take it to the shop Saturday AM. They called me MONDAY. To say "yeah it's the bearing, gonna be $240". Ok, fine. So it took them the entire day to fix this. I go down today to pick it up, and low and behold - the thing still makes the same squeeking sound. I'm going to jack it up again today and take a look myself. I swear it seems as if they don't even do anything to it. My family has been taking our vehicles to this same shop ever since they lived here (my parents moved here about 29 years ago) and just recently things have started getting shady.

Anyway.......excuse this. I won't take my cars to this place anymore, as close and convenient as it is.....it's not worth the money if the part is just going to be ripped from an old car or the problem isn't even getting resolved.

/rant

Take it back and confront them! Tell them you brought it to them to be fixed, and they didn't fix it. Remind them of your family's history of using their garage, and that this type of thing isn't acceptable.

You'd be surprised what can be accomplished through a conversation.

Is it a 4WD vehicle? Could it be that the entire hub needs to be replaced?

it's a Buick LeSabre. Front wheel drive. I'm sure they did actually replace the bearing, but something else is still making a noise and I can't pin point it. And yeah, the hub is built into the bearing along with the studs and all....one complete unit. Not like the old days where you could rebuild the bearing.

These types of things have happened before with this same shop. It sucks because it's literally like 2 minutes up the road, and any other shop is miles away. I'm going to take a look after work later and see what they did and just start going to a different shop.

Ah - that sucks dude. Only reason I mentioned was because that happened to me with my truck - had to replace the whole hub.

I would take it back man - if this is the first time that you've had trouble with them, especially considering your history with them, they should make good on their work.

I hear you man. It almost seems like they slapped a new bearing in and didnt even test drive it or anything. Either that, or they figure they could get more $$ out of me if they fix just one thing at a time. Inspection is up in a few months and I'm leaning towards getting another vehicle anyway. For $700 this car held up good for the last 5 years. Time for something newer, like 2000 or above. Tired of 1990's shit-box beaters.

I had a wanna punch-a-mothafucker moment this morning. I bought a Blu-Ray disc player may of last year. well it stopped working a week ago, and after a week of trouble shooting with tech support and CS they said I need to return the unit for repairs, but I was only covered for parts. they said it was gonna cost me $70.00 to ship the unit back. I paid $155.20 for the unit brand new and it is only worth $89.00 brand new today, so what sense would it make for me to pay $70. to have it fixed. after arguing with the barely speaking english CS rep about this cost I simply and calmly asked her to tell me in her own words that LG products are worthless and I should tell anyone and everyone to stay clear of their products, and I would not let her off the phone until she told me that. She refused to say it and I asked to speak to her supervisor. after explaining the situation to her supervisor, I asked her supervisor to please tell me in her own words that their products are worthless. well she offered to pay to ship me a new unit and pay for all shipping cost. I would have settled for her just telling me what I asked her to tell me but she wouldn't. I went through all that and they could have offered to fix it from the beginning.

^ Not trying to be a dick, because I know how frustrating shit like that can be, but I think what you asked them to say is a bit unreasonable. Those people are just doing their job, making shitty money answering phones just to get yelled at all day long. I can't really blame them for not cooperating with you.

Yes it sucks, but don't shoot the messenger.

And Bryan - most businesses in that type of field, unless they have a booming business, are more than likely really hurting. It wouldn't surprise me if they were "nickel and dime-ing" people - doesn't make it right at all, but just saying that's the reality for a lot of smaller shops. On the flip side, if that IS the case, then they should just be happy to have the business, and that's something you should remind them when you speak to them about it.