Re-awakening to haunt you again

Emi

underdog
May 10, 2002
imola - italy
code666.net
code666 will soon re-release the long time sold out album "Awaken" from Nordvargr in a new, revamped edition, strictly limited to 500 copies. commented Mr. Nordvargr: " Right now I am finishing the mixing of the re-issue of the “Nordvargr debut album” Awaken. This is a very important album to me, not only because it was the first solorecordings I did under my own namne, but also because I recorded them during very hard personal times. It was recorded during the summer of 2002, and I was recording this music at night instead of sleeping. I recently realised that I did not use a lot of the materials I recorded before I started to actually compose the album. Many weeks were spent doing fieldrecordings, and many hours of DAT tapes were recorded… but never used. So now I have used these old recordings again to create new soundscapes in the same vein as the original album. I have also remastered and re-edited the old masters to sound better than before – I have always disliked the final mix of Awaken, but no more… it is now finally coming together as it was intended. Add some 20+ minutes of new material made from the same sources as the original recordings and you have an album that is sure to disturb your sleep. Again."

first review:

http://brutalcrush.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/nordvargr-re-awaken-code666/

Sebbene il Salento non sia esattamente la Svezia, il cielo plumbeo e la pioggia intermittente di oggi mi aiutano non poco nell’ascolto di questo disco. Trattasi del nuovo lavoro dello svedese Henrik Nordvargr Björkk, uno dei pochi musicisti per cui l’appellativo “artista” sembra calzante, la cui unica pecca, se si può chiamar tale, è quella di essere così prolifico da rendere impossibile il tenere d’occhio tutta la sua discografia (uscite con vari nomi, remix, collaborazioni), a meno che non si decida di dedicare interamente la propria vita di ascoltatore ai suoi lavori. Negli ultimi anni, troppi mestieranti sono stati scambiati per artisti, troppi gruppi hanno puntato sull’immagine anzichè sulla sostanza, per compiacere i gusti degli ignoranti che scambiano la cultura per una gara a chi possiede il libro o il disco intorno a cui c’è più hype. Per citare Longanesi, “l’arte è un appello al quale troppi rispondono senza essere stati chiamati”. Nordvargr, invece, a chiamata risponde. Egli fiuta il Disturbante, avverte l’Impercettibile, coglie il Sinistro. Egli, con i codici del dark ambient, dei drone, dell’industrial, legge la placida realtà che lo circonda, smascherandone gli aspetti più tetri e reconditi, riversandola in un blob musicale nero fuliggine e grigio industriale, in una atmosfera sospesa tra ritualità tecnopagana, riflessività annichilente, marzialità minacciosa e orchestrazioni sublimi.

Esatto, di sublime bisogna parlare, ma in senso kantiano, poichè è impossibile definire le opere di Nordvargr secondo i tradizionali criteri di bello e brutto, in quanto l’unica modalità di ascolto a nostra disposizione è il restare indifesi e farsi travolgere da forze sovrannaturali, che solo lo svedese sa captare e canalizzare su un supporto audio. Potrei commentare il disco traccia per traccia, ma a parte specificare che si tratta di una riedizione del disco “Awaken” del 2002 (ribattezzato, per l’appunto, “Re-Awaken”) in una veste sonora diversa, un remix che soddisfa maggiormente Nordvargr stesso, con l’aggiunta di 3 tracce e varie modifiche qua e là, fino a renderlo un’opera nuova, non credo, per le ragioni elencate fino ad ora, sia una operazione umanamente possibile. Questa musica potrebbe essere indifferentemente la colonna sonora della genesi della Terra, del declino della civiltà occidentale o della fine del mondo e voi, assistendo in presa diretta a uno di questi eventi, come cazzo fareste ad avere parole per analizzarlo? (Manolo “Minipony” Manco)

http://www.metalteamuk.net/june11reviews/cdreviews-nordvargr.htm

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]It’s a good time for this to get the re-master and reissue treatment as it follows on nicely from the Cold Spring Records similarly repackaged discs from MZ.412. The man behind both projects is Henrik "Nordvargr" Björkk who has been widely acknowledged as the innovator behind dark ambient industrial music from Sweden, something that nobody who has heard his music is likely to dispute. His output is prolific and if you are a completist collecting his works it’s going to cost you plenty of time and money as well as turn your mind into a depraved sewer listening to the stuff as it can be deeply unsettling and disturbing. ‘Awaken’ (for this reissue craftily entitled Re-Awaken) was one of the artist’s first solo works under his real name and was originally recorded back in 2002. early work does not mean it should not be sought out as with the old recordings being boosted it sounds incredibly powerful. By this time Nordvagr had already expunged some excellent material from his soul including works like the satanic art that is MZ.412 ‘In Nomine Dei Nostri Satanas Luciferi Excelsi’ and ‘Burning The Temple Of God.’ [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Akin to the most horrifying movie soundtrack you have heard, this is a real nightmare of a listen and is not for those of nervous disposition especially as with 20 minutes of new material from the same sources as the original stuff, it weighs in at 72 minutes. The title track brings ominous ambient noise feeling its way out the speakers like exploratory tendrils from a dark void. Ominous tones and chants and an increase in energy follow with symphonic dread building up before we get a fuzzy deluge of guitar provided by Drakhon on ‘Cellardwellar.’ As this was apparently recorded at night in the expansive cellar at Bohult, when this gives way to some truly terrifying sound effects one must wonder what the hell it was like recording it as listening is enough to chill to the bone. As things progress you find yourself drowning in drone for long periods of time or ascending towards the heavens on the wings of eerie celestial choirs. I would suspect if that was the direction you found yourself floating it’s not for eternity, hell awaits and that is where you will be cast down to. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Particularly of note is the four act ‘Seeds Of Blood,’ where clacking militant drum and martial sounding music files out and other strange sounds follow; the cry of an owl, a weird rummaging sound and ghostly chants. It’s quite a head-trip and not a particularly pleasant one, more in line with the sort of soundtrack a serial killer would be at home cutting his victims up to, or perhaps with the Arabic sounding latter parts a jihadist strapping their bombs on. The last track Dreamstates is highly dark, you can hear what sounds like snores as well as the clanking of chains and all sorts of nightmarish sounds that really set the teeth on edge. I would not want to fall asleep with this in the background, if you did you may never ‘Re-Awaken’ again! [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] http://www.nordvargr.com
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Pete Woods [/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.wingsofdeath.net/content/36,13512/NordvargrReAwaken

De Zweed Henrik “Nordvargr” Bjorkk wordt algemeen beschouwd als (een van) de grondlegger(s) van de Scandinavische dark industrial scene. Zijn eerste voorname project was MZ. 412, eerst als trio, later een duo, en zou de basis vormen voor veel werk dat Nordvargr later zou creëren. Als componist heeft de man een indrukwekkende lijst van albums/projecten waaraan hij zijn medewerking heeft verleend en/of zelfstandig als creatief brein verantwoordelijk is geweest. Voor de geïnteresseerden, kijk maar eens op http://www.nordvargr.com/discography/ om te zien hoe productief de beste man zich door de jaren heen getoond heeft.

Met terugwerkende kracht beschouwt Nordvargr zijn album Awaken uit 2002 als een van de belangrijkste uit zijn oeuvre. Niet alleen omdat het zijn eerste solo opnamen onder eigen naam betreft, maar ook en misschien wel vooral omdat het een donkere tijd in zijn persoonlijke leven markeert. Het werd opgenomen tijdens de zomer van 2002, hij was de muziek 's nachts aan het opnemen in plaats van slapen. Hier vinden we in elk geval alvast een mogelijke verklaring voor de duistere sfeer waarin het werk zich bevindt. Onlangs realiseerde hij zich dat veel van het oorspronkelijke materiaal dat indertijd is opgenomen nooit voor het eigenlijke album Awaken is gebruikt. Veel tijd werd besteed aan veldopnamen, met name DAT tapes, en is helaas ongebruikt gebleven.

Nu, in 2011, heeft Nordvargr besloten om met die oorspronkelijk opnames een Re-Awaken te maken. Waarschijnlijk mede ingegeven door het feit dat het origineel al langere tijd is uitverkocht. Het materiaal is vertaald naar nieuwe soundscapes in dezelfde geest om het originele album eer aan te doen. De klanktapijten zijn geremixt en geremasterd en hebben gezelschap gekregen van eigentijdse inzichten van zijn maker. De buitengewoon sfeervolle soundscapes bestaan uit stroperige, duistere klanken, geluiden, sfeerpassages of hoe je het verder maar noemen wil. De creatie daarvan kan niet anders dan ontstaan zijn uit een donkere geest, worstelend met .....ja met wat? Drones en het spaarzame gebruik van doodse vocalen benadrukken de duistere atmosfeer die over de luisteraar wordt uitgespreid, dit in een poging om die luisteraar mee te voeren in de onbestemde wereld die de maker mogelijk voor ogen heeft gehad.

Re-Awaken krijgt dus alsnog de goedkeuring van zijn schepper, die door middel van deze her-creatie nu tevreden is met wat hij indertijd gemaakt heeft. Gecompleteerd met de aanpassingen klinkt het album anno 2011 eindelijk zoals het indertijd bedoeld is. Voeg daar nog zo'n 20 minuten aan nieuw materiaal aan toe, gemaakt van dezelfde bronnen als de originele opnames, en je hebt een album dat je opnieuw uit je slaap zal houden.

Created: 23-05-2011 / Chris

http://www.metal.de/index.php?option=com_articles&view=article&id=46436

Ich weiß ja nicht, ob ich der richtige Rezensent für "Re-Awaken" bin - schließlich handelt es sich um eine Neu-Auflage von (Überraschung!) "Awaken", das Henrik "NORDVARGR" Björkk im Jahr 2002 über Eibon Records veröffentliche und das mir völlig unbekannt ist. Ein direkter Vergleich zwischen alter und neuer Version muss also entfallen.
Aber das macht ja nichts. Denen, die die ursprüngliche Version kennen, kann ich vermutlich nichts Neues erzählen - denen, die es nicht kennen, kann ich "Re-Awaken" zumindest schmackhaft machen.
Der umtriebige Schwede kann auf eine beachtliche Liste an Veröffentlichungen und Kollaborationen zurückblicken - und bei Weitem nicht alle haben mit Metal zu tun, um das mal vorwergzuschicken. Tatsächlich hat Björkk seine größte Bekanntheit wohl mit der EBM-Band POUPPÉE FARBIKK und dem Industrial-Projekt MASCHINENZIMMER 412 (später MZ.412) erlangt. Zumindest letztere sind sehr stark von Idealen und Ästhetik des Black Metals beeinflusst (und mitverantwortlich für seine Beiträge bei NAER MATARON und FORGOTTEN TOMB). Mit seinem Soloprojekt, das er unter seinem Pseudonym NORDVARGR führt, verfolgt Björkk ebenfalls weitgehend elektronische Ansätze - Dark Ambient ist das Stichwort.
Nicht nur Stichwort, sondern für viele eher metallisch interessierte Hörer auch Reizwort. "Rotes Tuch" wäre wahrscheinlich irreführend - Ambient gilt bei vielen eher als das Valium-Zäpfchen der dunklen Musik; es verwundert also wenig, dass an Monotonie und Störgeräusche gewöhnte Schwarzwurzeln noch das Meiste mit diesen ausladenden und atonalen Werken anfangen können - wie DARKSPACE und Konsorten beweisen.
NORDVARGR ist in diesem Sinn jedoch kein "typischer" (sofern man davon sprechen kann) Vertreter des Dark Ambient-Genres - und wahrscheinlich ist gerade das der Grund für den Status NORDVARGRs in der Musikszene. Wer Projekte wie LUSTMORD kennt, weiß, dass es für traditionell sozialisierte Ohren zuweilen schwierig sein kann, die Dynamik solcher Klanglandschaften zu verfolgen - NORDVARGR jedoch geht einen attraktiven Mittelweg zwischen (nichtsdestoweniger spannender!) Atonalität und Versatzstücken aus Industrial, Black Metal und getragenen elektronischen Flächen. Auf diese Weise erweitert Björkk den Phasenraum seines Ansatzes gehörig und ist in der Lage, den Hörer auf mehreren Ebenen zu fesseln. Natürlich ist das Resultat immer noch sehr schwerfällig und auf den ersten Höreindruck eher zäh - mit der Zeit entfaltet sich aber die Klasse NORDVARGRs, so dass kurzweiligen Trips in dunkle Klangwelten wenig im Weg steht. Also: Licht aus, Subwoofer an und genießen!

http://www.fortheinnermost.com/2011/05/nordvargr-awaken-reissue.html

In a way, Nordvargr has always been regarded as separate from the scenes it might belong to. This might be due to the immense discography in Henrik Björkk's portfolio, with releases ranging from EBM over industrial to black ambient. The fact that Nordvargr itself has been the most experimental and unusual, as well as the least straightforward of his projects, doesn't help classification much either. Mr Björkk has recently decided that his first album under the Nordvargr moniker, namely "Awaken", deserves a second round of treatment. This new reissue has not only been re-edited and remastered, but also boasts 20+ minutes of previously unheard material taken from the same sources used for the original recording, according to the press release, in order to further enrich the original experience. However, in my many years of listening to dark ambient and related genres, I've somehow managed to miss Nordvargr's earliest works, the original edition of "Awaken" being one of them. Therefore, my review will, unlike most that'll be made available online in the weeks to come, be based on an entirely unprejudiced first listen (and subsequent ones), without any comparisons drawn to the original; I've heard the album the way the artist wanted it to be heard all along, I suppose.

Having in mind the introduction to this review, describing Nordvargr's sound on "Awaken" is no easy task at all. The base is a deep, minimalistic, dark ambient one, not unlike Lustmord, with heavy use of manipulated field recordings. The numerous bone-chilling elements underline the similarities to Lustmord as the album progresses. However, there's much more to this album than that. Nordvargr's tumultuous history can be clearly heard, as many subtle and not-so-subtle elements are thrown into the mix quite surprisingly: pure industrial moments, intricate noises that hearken back to MZ.412, dreamy melodic outbursts, screams, martial rhytms, even acoustic guitars... All this creates a very bizarre and interesting experience, while keeping the overall album flow generally good - generally being the main word here. Indeed, if there's one thing to reproach to this album, it's the lack of true connection between individual tracks. One can distinguish a specific feeling throughout the album, absolutely, but the release still feels somewhat incoherent to a certain extent. The album length of more than 70 minutes doesn't help a lot either. Still, this is only a minor distraction, and far from making the album actually flawed.

The artist claims that this album was created during a very difficult personal period, and it shows - unlike many artists in this field, who aim for a more esoteric approach, "Awaken" radiates what could only be described as tangible, breathing angst and oppression, in all its facets. The soundscapes created are everyday ones, not in the sense that they are simplistic in nature or mundane in any way; they just feel very introspective. The keyword here is "troubled". There's no sublime atmosphere and no fantasy here, just the sound of a suffocating soul rattling its cage in complete darkness and no-one around to hear it; a sonic portrait of an enchained person struggling to set free. I believe this is why the outbursts of rage (embodied in the occasional wall of sound) feel so sudden and short-lived, as if they're lingering, going back and forth between denial and acceptance.

All in all, this album leaves little to be desired. The drawbacks that I've emphasized have more to do with its objective qualities, which only shows that Nordvargr was only beginning to undertake its journey, and that Mr Björkk had yet to perfect his art to the fullest. However, the soul of every album is its subjectiveness, and "Awaken" manages to portray that aspect very well indeed. Many sleepless nights have been spent to make sure that yours are likewise. Recommended to everyone with a penchant for uneasy ambience with a less-than-friendly attitude.

8/10

http://obscuraweb.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/nordvargr-re-awaken/

Normally here at OBSCURA we should not deal with anything that does not belong in any shape or form to metal music as it is.
But sometimes, especially when it’s really worth it, it’s not bad to expand our horizon line to new and different sounds, such an intriguing and normally useful operation.
So it happened to get the promo of new Nordvargr album, in which dark and ambient perfectly blends with obscure harmonies, an ideal soundtrack for a night home alone, while outside just silence and fog.Of course this is just a pretty shabby picture of as Nordvargr’s music could be represented in a bidimensional world, such as a painting, but I do believe it’s not far from the truth itself.
The swedish artist has once again showed to the whole world that not everyone should be allowed to record music if lacking the basic skill to do so. ‘Re-awaken’, as the title suggests, is nothing more than a revised version of 2003 album ‘Awaken’: in this case the songs have been in some way rearranged and were given a “polish”.
Bottom line: this version sounds definitely better than the original one. So what’s the problem? Just because there’s no trace of any distorted guitar, no scream, no kick drums, this does not mean that this is automatically rubbish, especially if one doesn’t pay respect to the artist giving at least a listening session to the album.
A deep and silent trip into fear and emotions is something that you, stinky metalheads, should try to get into, because I can assure you that the evil emotions this album can evoke are far better than the average black metal record you can find nowadays. Do you want evil, fear and darkness in music? Please be my guest and re-awaken your inner demons.

http://www.passzio.hu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=23308

8/10

Nordvargr alias Henrik Nordvargr Björkk neve minden bizonnyal nem ismeretlen azok számára, akik kedvelik a furcsa, rideg hangulatú experimentális kalandozásokat zene címszó alatt. Bár ebben az esetben a zene megjelölést igen tágan kell értelmezni ahhoz, hogy a barátságtalan hanghalmazt bele lehessen szorítani ebbe a skatulyába. Nevezzék dark ambientnek, drone-nak, vagy akármi másnak, az tuti, hogy a svéd muzsikus jó ideje hivatkozási alap a műfajban. Mondjuk lehet is, mert első munkái 1989-re datálódnak...

Nordvargr-01-2011.jpg
A saját neve alatt kiadott anyagok mellett több más formáció soraiban is véghezvitt némi zajkeltést, mint például a Mz.412, a Folkstorm, a Toroidh, vagy Pouppée Fabrikk, de többször közreműködött a görög blacker Naer Mataron lemezein, és kiadott egy rakás splitet is különféle bandákkal, amelyek közül a legnagyobb érdeklődés talán a Merzbow-val közös anyagot övezte. Szóban forgó korong csak részben nevezhető újnak, ugyanis az eredetileg 2002-ben rögzített anyagot, ami első szólólemeze volt, újramaszterizálta, a régi felvételeket új hangmintákkal egészítette ki, valamint több, mint 20 percnyi „zenét” varázsolt még hozzá, amelyek a kilenc évvel ezelőtti időszakból származnak. Összességében több, mint 70 perc utazás egy sivár és barátságtalan világba.

Némileg viccesnek tartom azt az állítást, hogy Nordvargr elégedetlen volt az Awaken hangzásával. Létezik egzakt módszerű megállapítása, hogy egy hangmintákból felépülő lemeznek hogyan kell szólnia? Erre főhősünk biztosan tudja a választ, én nem vállalkoznék a kérdés megfejtésére, de az tény, hogy a hangerőt feltekerve ritka felkavaró élményben lehet része a hallgatónak. Örvénylenek és csikorognak a hangok, erősödik és elhalkul a militáns lüktetés, majd egy huszárvágással egészen új dolgok tolakodnak a hallójáratokba és némi mormogó ének-szerűség is felbukkan. Megrázó a végeredmény, de kétségtelenül sajátos hangulattal bír, bár többször egymás után biztosan nem akarom meghallgatni, ahhoz túlságosan meredek élmény.

Mivel az eredeti anyagról annak idején lemaradtam, így érdeklődve hallgattam a lemezt, ami szélsőséges mivolta ellenére is tetszik. De talán nem köveznek agyon amiatt, hogy számomra az Arditi a stílus etalonja.

http://neckbreaker.de/cd-reviews/4417-nordvargr-re-awaken

8,5/10

Dark Ambient ist wohl eine Musikrichtung, die immer Geschmackssache bleiben wird. Finsterer Lärm und verstörende Klänge sind vielen Leuten einfach etwas zu viel das Guten, weshalb man davon ausgehen kann, dass sämtliche Bands dieses Subgenres -und seien sie noch so gut- niemals außerhalb des Undergrounds anzutreffen sein werden.
Henrik "Nordvargr" Bjorkk, ein schwedischer Avantgardist, der vor allem durch sein Projekt MACHINENZIMMER.412 von sich reden gemacht hat, gehört fast schon zur Prominenz der Dark Industrial Szene. Auch sein Ein-Mann-Projekt NORDVARGR stieß auf großer Resonanz, was sich in einem zügigen Ausverkauf der oftmals streng limitierten Releases äußerte. Darum verwundert es wohl auch nicht weiter, dass sich Code666 dazu entschlossen hat, das Kult-Album „Awaken“ von 2002 remastert, umstrukturiert und expandiert unter dem Namen „Re-Awaken“ wiederzuveröffentlichen. NORDVARGR bietet genau das, was man gemeinhin unter der Bezeichnung Dark Ambient versteht. Nicht enden wollende Noise-Walzen, hämmernde Rhythmen treffen auf subtile, finstere Klänge, die keinerlei Melodie erkennen lassen. Von dem her dürfte dieses Release nur für den ganz harten Kern der Freunde spezieller Musik interessant sein.
Genau genommen muss man, um „Re-Awaken“ tatsächlich genießen zu können, in einer entsprechenden Stimmung sein, und auch die Umgebungsbeschallung muss passen. Wenn es nämlich nicht wirklich mucksmäuschenstill ist, entgeht dem Hörer gut die Hälfte des Materials schlicht und einfach, da man nicht zwischen der gebotenen Musik und Störgeräuschen der realen Umgebung unterscheiden kann.
Passt jedoch alles, so kann „Re-Awaken“ seine wahre Wirkung entfalten. Den Hörer erwartet eine hypnotische, rituelle Klangsphäre, die bedrohlicher und finsterer gar nicht sein könnte. Durch Mark und Bein ziehen sich die dumpfen Perkussionsschläge, und wie ein Tinitus setzt sich das immerwährende Dröhnen im Hirn fest. Man vergisst die Umwelt und versinkt völlig in Gedanken. Dank des einheitlichen Schnelligkeits- und Härtegrades wird man aus diesem Zustand auch nicht urplötzlich herausgerissen, wie es bei so manch anderer Dark-Industrial Band oft der Fall ist.
„Re-Awaken“ bietet über siebzig Minuten feinsten Dark Ambients. Wer derartige Musik ohnehin zu schätzen weiß, oder wer GNAW THEIR TONGUES nicht zu gewagt findet, sollte sich dieses Ding unbedingt anschaffen. Allerdings wird dieses Album wohl kaum aus Nicht-Sympathisanten dieses Genres große Fans machen. Dafür ist es einfach zu geschmacksabhängig. Ich persönlich halte „Re-Awaken“ für ein absolut geniales Werk, das unter passenden Bedingungen richtig unter die Haut gehen kann, was bei Weitem nicht bei jeder Musik der Fall ist. (Jannick)

Bewertung: 8,5 / 10

http://www.thrashocore.com/chroniques/chronique/3977-nordvargr-re-awaken-2011-chronique.html

5/5

Nordvargr ? Henrik Nordvargr Björkk de son vrai nom. Tout simplement l'un des pionniers du dark ambient. Le gourou suédois possède une liste de projets assez ahurissante (une vingtaine de groupes depuis 1988, soit près de 200 enregistrements !) dont figure le réputé MZ.412 (bien connu des disciples du label Cold Meat Industry) mais aussi Nordvargr, certainement son penchant musical le plus sombre. Un premier album, Awaken, naîtra en 2002. Une œuvre chère à Nordvargr puisqu'elle marque le premier labeur fait sous son propre nom mais aussi une période personnelle éprouvante lors de sa conception… Des nuits d'insomnie et de dépression qui permettront de générer un pur condensé de noirceur et de folie. Neuf ans plus tard, l'aliéné déterre de sa cave (où l'album a été conçu) ses « masters » afin de compléter la pierre tombale Awaken (+ de 20 minutes). Par la même occasion, déçu par le mixage original, il redonnera un son neuf au brûlot en rééditant entièrement ses enregistrements. Torche à la main, retour dans les catacombes d'Awaken.

Novice en matière de dark ambient, je reste en ce moment dans ma période The Axis Of Perdition (la discographie devrait bientôt être complétée). Alors lorsque code666 me transmet le promo de Re-Awaken et que l'on connait un tant soit peu la stature de Nordvargr ou de Awaken, nul besoin de tergiverser. Si le dépucelage du genre n'est pas encore terminé ou même exécuté, je vous rappellerai la mise en condition indispensable à l'écoute d'une telle musique (et a fortiori pour vous écrire ces lignes). Pourquoi ? Car beaucoup risquent de faire « avance rapide » et de hurler au vide intersidérale pseudo-élitiste (comme j'ai pu le voir dans certaines critiques jonchant la toile). Minimaliste de « façade », d'une richesse immense lorsqu'on fera cet effort d'écoute. La nuit tombée, éteignez donc toute source de lumière, asseyez-vous confortablement, branchez votre casque puis lancez la musique. Une chose maléfique s'est réveillée dans les profondeurs (l'introduction frissonnante et épique « Awaken »). Dans l'obscurité, vous parcourrez un dédale de couloirs souterrains étroits afin de découvrir la source du mal… Pour finalement y échapper. Après deux titres relativement « directs » marquant l'entrée dans le lieu, dont la black metal « Cellardweller », seul morceau possédant une guitare marquée (par Drakhon, fidèle acolyte de MZ.412), la suite se traduira par une marche lente et angoissante, du « pur » ambient.

Henrik met cette fois de côté son amour incommensurable pour l'indus. Awaken ne joue pas sur la surenchère de samples electro, rythmiques martiales ou autres nappes de claviers agressives. Ici vous entendrez un souffle de fond, des chuchotements, des bruits de respiration voire de régurgitation, des sortes d'incantations en latin, un objet tombant tout près de vous… Si vous vous êtes mis en situation d'écoute, votre rythme cardiaque devrait inexorablement s'accélérer, l'oppression fait effet. Les gémissements de torture des victimes sur « Natt » (terrifiante) devraient vous hanter de nombreuses nuits… La peur montera ainsi crescendo. Awaken s'écoule, plus vous avancerez, plus les ossements et autres parties humaines se feront nombreuses sur votre chemin et plus vous rapprocherez de l'antre de la « bête ». Le final en apothéose de l'album sonnera comme un requiem (les douces parties acoustiques de « Dreamstates ») pour votre âme damnée dans cet Enfer.

Seul dans le noir, Awaken est un voyage à sens unique qui ne laissera pas indemne, un vrai cauchemar matérialisé par le misanthrope Nordvargr. Comme pour tout album de dark ambient, l'écoute nécessitera quelques pré-requis pour pleinement jouir de son pouvoir glauque. Malgré ma culture du genre faisant défaut, rarement une musique ne m'aura autant dérangé… Attendez-vous à d'avantage de chroniques de ce genre. Un véritable bijou venu des ténèbres à découvrir ou à redécouvrir. Avis aux insomniaques, vous voilà prévenus.

http://www.necroweb.de/magazin/neues-album/nordvargr-re-awaken/

7.5/10

"Awaken" war das erste Album von Nordvargr, welches jener völlig allein erstellte. Das ist mittlerweile auch schon wieder gut zehn Jahre her und nachdem ja der Backkatalog von MZ.412 erst kürzlich aufgearbeitet wurde, so kann man dies vielleicht nun auch für die Nordvargr Sachen hoffen.
Wie dem auch sei, mit "Re-Awaken" erwartet den Hörer nicht nur die gleiche fiese Reise ins Land des dunklen Übels wie damals, nein, auch Bonusstücke wurden da noch beigefügt.
Stücke, die ihren eigentlichen Ursprung aus jener Zeit haben, in der "Awaken" kreiert wurde. Das Ganze natürlich überarbeitet und entsprechend aufgewertet.

Warme Grundzüge wird man hier erwartungsgemäß vergebens suchen dürfen, gleicht das Gebotene doch vielmehr einem pechschwarzen, überaus bedrohlichen Albtraum.
Gedämpftes Pulsieren breitet sich aus, gelegentlich ist eine Stimme zu vernehmen und dunkle, wabbernde Klangschwaden steigen empor.
Was dieser modrigen Gruft da entfleucht, ist ein abartig, dunkles Gebräu, und auch wenn dieser Trip anfangs erst einmal etwas unspektakulär erscheint, so gleicht "Re-Awaken" doch einem Strudel aus aufgewühlten und besessenen Visionen, gekleidet in dichten, dronebehafteten Klanglandschaften.
Trotz der anfangs mitunter teils minimal klingenden Vertonungen baut sich da nämlich allmählich und unaufhaltsam eine beeindruckende Aura auf, in welcher Stücke wie "Kretslopp" oder "Lament Ii" wunderbar gedeihen und ihr verstörendes Gift ohne Erbarmen zu versprühen wissen.
Zur atmosphärischen Klangfahrt fährt dann "Sulphur Mist" auf, wogegen das folgende "Seeds Of Blood" schon fast martialische Grundzüge aufweisen kann. Jenes wurde übrigens, im Gegensatz zum Original, aufgesplittet und ebenfalls auffallend ist, dass "Re-Awaken" speziell ab der Mitte doch etwas an Fahrt aufnimmt. Es wird lebendiger und gelegentliche Rhythmen bauen sich vereinzelt auf, was dem Werk auch zugutekommt.

Für Nordvargr Puristen und Verehrer des schwarzen Ambient ist dieser Auswurf somit auf jeden Fall empfehlenswert.

http://www.cackblabbath.co.uk/2011/06/25/nordvargr-re-awaken/

They Say :- Revamped, remixed, remastered and expanded version of the long time sold out cult album “Awaken”. Thick, massive and utterly dark soundscapes of true black ambiance coming from one of the founders of the now legendary Swedish industrial scene. Drones, strings and voices of the dead join forces in the cavernous cellar of Bohult. Nordvargr Says :- “Awaken is a very important album to me, not only because it was the first solo recordings I did under my own name, but also because I recorded them during very hard personal times. It was recorded during the summer of 2002, and I was recording this music at night instead of sleeping. I recently realised that I did not use a lot of the materials I recorded before I started to actually compose the album. Many weeks were spent doing field recordings, and many hours of DAT tapes were recorded… but never used. So now I have used these old recordings again to create new soundscapes in the same vein as the original album. I have also remastered and re-edited the old masters to sound better than before – I have always disliked the final mix of Awaken, but no more… it is now finally coming together as it was intended. Add some 20+ minutes of new material made from the same sources as the original recordings and you have an album that is sure to disturb your sleep. Again.” – April 2011
We Say :- As the old saying goes, Never judge a book by its cover, or who you’re going to love by your lover. OK, well, actually just ignore that second part, I knew using the wisdom of Aerosmith would backfire.
Right… Start again *serious face*
As the old saying goes, you can never judge a book (or in this case a CD) by it’s cover. No, actually that’s wrong too. If you see Justin Beiber or 5 vacuous malnourished bints on the front you are probably completely right to judge it, and judge it harshly.
This isn’t going to plan at all…
Right, different approach. Stick to the facts and avoid any unnecessary verbal flourishes.
Re-Awaken isn’t a new album per-se, the original version came out in 2002 but this is much more than just a simple re-issue, rather it is a re-imagining of the original concept. Now when I first approached this I didn’t know quite what to expect, lots of PR babble about dark soundscapes and black ambiance and suchlike. Still skulls on the front, has to be good eh ?
The album opens with some harsh, industrial noise. It’s the sort of thing that loads of “extreme metal” bands do, you know a couple of minutes of ambient sounds before all hell breaks loose. There are metallic clangs, the sound of a hammer hitting something off in the distance, some deep mournful strings and a general feeling of unease.
And you wait for the hell to break loose…. but it never does….
Instead you find yourself dragged down into a weird and atmospheric world made of strange, yet almost recognisable, sounds. Oh and occasionally there are even musical instruments in there and occasionally things do take a slightly more musical turn (such the military drumbeat that permeates through Seeds Of Blood Pt 1, the acoustic guitar in Dreamstates or the dirty, distorted, droning electric guitars that appear from time to time) but for the most part you wouldn’t call this music. If I’ve ever heard anything for which the label “soundscape” is accurate then it’s this; you really do feel that you’re being drawn into a deep, dark, frightening and lonely place.
At first listen I didn’t really get what this was all about, it really takes a few spins to get to grips with even a part of what is going on here, particularly in tracks like Lament II where choral voices overlay a distorted, electronic sound which slowly pulsates and throbs as it washes over the listener. It never rises to a tune or descends to being “just noise” but instead occupies some netherworld in between. This is something which almost seems to have the ability to effect the listener on an emotional level which is rare, For example there are some haunting screams on the track Natt. Are they lost souls crying out for salvation, demons hunting you down or just birds circling overhead ?? I don’t know but the buggers made me jump the first time I listened through headphones in a darkened room
icon_smile.gif

A lot of bands claim to do “atmosphere” but this is truly one of the most atmospheric things I have heard, a horror movie soundtrack that is like a nightmare version of those whale song CDs so beloved of new age types. I’m no expert on this genre of music, but based on the introduction presented here I think I’ll go do a little exploring.

http://www.rockoverdose.gr/news_details.php?id=4521

Henrik “Nordvargr” Bjorkk είναι ένας πολυγραφότατος και πολυδιάστατος μουσικός, που εδώ και πλέον των 20 χρόνων ακροβατεί με επιτυχία μεταξύ ειδών όπως ambient, industrial, ebm, neofolk φτάνοντας ακόμη μέχρι και το blackmetal.

To “Awaken” πρωτοεμφανίστηκε στα ράφια των δισκοπωλείων το 2003 και ήταν το πρώτο άλμπουμ του Bjorkk που κυκλοφόρησε υπό το όνομα Nordvargr, αφήνοντας πίσω του τη λογική των projects και εγκαινιάζοντας τη solo recordings εποχή του.
Εδώ μας παρουσιάζεται σε νέα μίξη (καθώς ο Nordvargr δεν ήταν εντελώς ικανοποιημένος με την αυθεντική) και remastered υπό τον -όχι και τόσο ευρηματικό, αλλά οπωσδήποτε περιγραφικό- τίτλο “Re-Awaken”. ΄Οχι μόνο αυτό, αλλά περιέχει και 20 επιπλέον λεπτά καινούριου υλικού βασισμένου σε μέρος των αυθεντικων field recordings που για διάφορους λόγους δεν είχε τότε αξιοποιηθεί.

Τα 11 κομμάτια του “Re-Awaken” συνθέτουν ένα ιδιαίτερο άκουσμα, κάποιος θα έλεγε εφιαλτικό ή ακόμα και αποπνικτικό. Καθαρά μουσικά, η όλη προσέγγιση του Nordvargr είναι αρκετά μίνιμαλ, στην ουσία έχουμε να κάνουμε με dark ambient ηχοτοπία βασισμένα κατά μεγάλο ποσοστό σε field recordings. Ο Bjorkk βέβαια, δεν παραλείπει να χρησιμοποιήσει κάποια twists για να σπάσει τη μονοτονία είτε πρόκειται για καθαρά industrial σημεία, είτε ξεσπάσματα θορύβου, πράματα όπως οι κιθάρες στο “Cellardweller” ή οι μιλιταριστικοί ρυθμοί στο “Seeds Of Blood”.

8 χρόνια μετά την αρχική κυκλοφορία του το “Awaken” δεν ακούγεται καθόλου outdated, αντίθετα καταφέρνει και μεταδίδει με εξαιρετική ευκολία το σκοτεινό του κλίμα στον ακροατή, στην ουσία ένα soundtrack για μια ταινια τρόμου που περιμένει να γυριστεί. Αν συμβαδίζει με το επίπεδο ποιότητας του παρόντος ηχογραφήματος, θα έλεγα και αρκετά καλή.
Θα το προτείνω στους μυημένους σε τέτοια μουσικά μονοπάτια που -μάλλον από σπόντα- ρίχνουν κανά βλέφαρο στο rockoverdose.gr και σε όσους φίλους του σκληρού ήχου θεωρούν ότι έχουν “ανοικτά αυτιά”.
Οι υπόλοιποι προσεγγίστε με προσοχή.

Για το Rockoverdose.gr,
Δημήτρης Σούρσος

LEGACY MAGAZINE # 73

NORDVARGR „Re-Awaken“
(Code666/Eibon/Soulfood)
Schon mit vielen Betätigungsfeldern wie MZ 412, Folkstorm oder Hydra Head 9 aktiv, beginnt Henrik „Nordvargr“ Björkk im Jahre 2002 auch Scheiben unter seinem Namen NORDVARGR zu veröffentlichen. Den Anfang macht das
Album „Awaken“. Allerdings ist der Schwede im Nachhinein unzufrieden mit
diesen ersten Solo-Aufnahmen, so dass nun „Re-Awaken“ das Dunkel der Welt
erblickt, ein Re-Release, das neben neuen – auf den alten Field Recordings
beruhenden – Soundscapes auch 20 Minuten neuen Materials enthält. Leider
ist der Rezensentin das Original-Album unbekannt, so dass sie nur ahnen
kann, wie die ursprüngliche Version klingt, und ob es sich für Besitzer von
„Awaken“ lohnt, auch bei „Re-Awaken“ zuzugreifen. Mit Sicherheit lässt sich
jedoch sagen, dass „Re-Awaken“ über die gesamte Spieldauer ein düsteres
und bedrohlich wirkendes Ambient-Meisterwerk ist. Den Stücken ‚Awaken‘,
‚Kretslopp‘ oder auch ‚Lament ii‘ wohnt eine ruhige Atmosphäre inne, die einen
ganz langsam in den Albtraum hinabsinken lässt. In dem mit Gitarren und
harschen Sound-Effekten versehenen ‚Cellardweller‘ oder dem vielschichtigen
‚Exit Deamonas‘ ist die Stimmung etwas angespannter. Zunehmend
rhythmische Elemente begegnen einem erst im weiteren Verlauf des Albums.
In ‚Sulphur Mist‘ bauen sich diese noch recht verhalten auf und werden von
Glockenschlägen abgelöst, um dann in ‚Seeds Of Blood (Acts 1-2)‘ und ‚Seeds
Of Blood (Acts 3-4)‘ zeitweise martialisch perkussive Züge anzunehmen
und mehr in den Vordergrund zu treten. Als gelungene Überraschung darf
noch ‚Dreamstates‘ gesehen werden, das konträr zu den Soundscapes mit
akustischem Saitenspiel ausklingt. Vereinzelte Sprach-Samples und Spoken
Word-Einsätze runden das verstörende Geschehen auf „Re-Awaken“ ab,
dem NORDVARGR gern das Prädikat verleihen möchte, das es für schlaflose
Nächte sorgt. Und das könnte mit diesen Albtraum-Soundscapes bei einigen
durchaus der Fall sein. Wer mit dieser Art von Musik allgemein nicht viel
anfangen kann, wird auch „Re-Awaken“ nicht brauchen und kaum mehr als
nur Fahrstuhlmusik für Narkoleptiker darin erkennen. Für Genre-Kenner und
-Liebhaber stellt das Werk hingegen einen Pflichtkauf dar. (ES)

12 Punkte

http://obscuraweb.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/nordvargr-re-awaken/

Nordvargr – Re-awaken

13r.jpg
Normally here at OBSCURA we should not deal with anything that does not belong in any shape or form to metal music as it is.
But sometimes, especially when it’s really worth it, it’s not bad to expand our horizon line to new and different sounds, such an intriguing and normally useful operation.
So it happened to get the promo of new Nordvargr album, in which dark and ambient perfectly blends with obscure harmonies, an ideal soundtrack for a night home alone, while outside just silence and fog.Of course this is just a pretty shabby picture of as Nordvargr’s music could be represented in a bidimensional world, such as a painting, but I do believe it’s not far from the truth itself.
The swedish artist has once again showed to the whole world that not everyone should be allowed to record music if lacking the basic skill to do so. ‘Re-awaken’, as the title suggests, is nothing more than a revised version of 2003 album ‘Awaken’: in this case the songs have been in some way rearranged and were given a “polish”.
Bottom line: this version sounds definitely better than the original one. So what’s the problem? Just because there’s no trace of any distorted guitar, no scream, no kick drums, this does not mean that this is automatically rubbish, especially if one doesn’t pay respect to the artist giving at least a listening session to the album.
A deep and silent trip into fear and emotions is something that you, stinky metalheads, should try to get into, because I can assure you that the evil emotions this album can evoke are far better than the average black metal record you can find nowadays. Do you want evil, fear and darkness in music? Please be my guest and re-awaken your inner demons.
Artist: Nordvargr | Title: Re-awaken | Style: Ambient | Label: Code666 + Eibon Records | Street Date: 13/06/2011 | Website: official | Country: Sweden

http://www.darkscene.at/index.php?m=review&i=5201&PHPSESSID=435a6d0d272b71606b9b368a71ad819d

Gleich vorweg: Dies ist kein Metalalbum im herkömmlichen Sinne, auch wenn das Albumcover uns ein solches suggeriert. "Re-Awaken" ist rein elektronischen Ursprungs. Der vom Projekt Maschinenzimmer.412 her bekannte Schwede Henrik "Nordvargr" Björkk ist ein Pionier im skandinavischen Black Ambient/Dark Industrial und verstört die Hörerschaft seit 1989 mit seinen exzentrischen Klangcollagen. Nordvarg holt mit "Re-Awaken" zum nächsten großen Schlag in Sachen schaurig – schöne Ambient-Soundscapes aus. Wie das Präfix „Re-„ bereits andeutet, ist "Re-Awaken" eine remixte, remasterte und erweiterte Version des Albums "Awaken" von 2002.

Nordvargr entführt den Hörer mit seinem Black – Ambient (viel schwärzer und beänstigender als etwa Aphex Twin, aber dennoch ohne flirrende Burzum-Gitarren oder dem kranken Silencer-Geschrei) in fast meditativ-sphärische Klangkaskaden, in tiefschwarze Räume, die einem in ihrer stumpfen Dumpfheit im flächigen Gewaber bodenlos tief und räumlich unendlich erscheinen wollen. Abartig-feiner Grusel überkommt einen, wenn aus dem OFF plötzlich Schritte, Wassertropfen, hysterische Schreie, sakraler Gesang erklingen oder sich einem ein anderes, undefinierbares Geräusch bedrohlich nähert. Computerspieler sowie Horror- und Sci-Fi-fans wissen, von was ich spreche….

Dieses Tondokument „from Hell“ sollte man am Besten und intensivsten allein und in Dunkelheit erleben, um sich vollends auf dieses fast schon mystisch-psychotische Album einzulassen, das in seiner Schlichtheit abgrundtief böse und hinterhältig erscheint. Kritiker mögen behaupten, dass das Keyboard-Klangwerk uninspiriert an ihnen vorüberwabert. Höhepunkte sind klarerweise nicht auszumachen auf diesem Album, das in seiner eindringlichen Ganzheit zu erfassen und zu durchleben ist.

"Re-Awaken" ist der Horror-Soundtrack zu deinem nächsten Alptraum, zum tiefen, langsamen Fall in die Höllenschlünde, zum Zustand des Hinabschwebens, während alle Grauslichkeiten sämtlicher Welten an einem vorüberziehen. Dieses Album ist nichts für Klaustrophobiker, aber auch nichts für Agoraphobiker und könnte Panikattacken bei Hörern mit sonstigen latenten Angststörungen verursachen. Wer auf Gitarren steht, ist hier definitiv fehl am Platze, alle, die wissen wollen, wie es sich anhören muss, im Purgatorium zu sein: schnellstens zugreifen, da das Digipack zu dieser Wiederveröffentlichung auf 500 limitiert ist!

From Metal Discovery:

"...the soundtrack to a horror movie that no one dare make."

In the case of dark ambient, subtlety is fundamental, detail vital, and every aspect from the micro to the macro is painstakingly pored over in the express desire to perfect the manifestation of the deep and the dark. Nordvargr’s 2002 album ‘Awaken’ has been remixed, remastered and re-titled as (the not-so-imaginatively) ‘Re-Awaken’ and just over twenty minutes of previously unheard material has been added. Like director’s cuts, remixes and remasters usually imply some level of dissatisfaction with the original and raise many a question as to the reasoning behind them. Here, it’s because it’s been long sold-out (the original pressing was limited to 666 copies) and the artist has rediscovered material that he feels would enhance the work of the original. And so, again, we are invited to delve into the darkest reaches of Henrik Björkk’s twisted imagination. At the entrance to the cavernous cellars is ‘Awaken’, the indistinguishable yet compelling sounds that open the piece are ominous, a looming sense of dread emerging from the emptiness, and slow and lumbering, out of the darkness spring psycho slices and reverberating and distant industrial hums. ‘Cellardweller’s surge of deformed guitar noise dissolves into the cold atmosphere that continues into ‘Kretslopp’, the sound of stone being hacked away at in the distance behind the celestial choral moods that breath all around. The four-act ‘Seals of Blood’ – the most daunting and unnerving piece here – has a heavy martial sound, the armies of darkness marching inexorably through the aftermath. The two new additions – ‘Exit Daemonas’ and ‘Dreamstates’ – are equally chilling and what Nordvargr does with the ominous tones, the long and empty echoes, and a host of aberrant sounds is terrifying. This is chilling stuff indeed, the soundtrack to a horror movie that no one dare make. A proponent of the “less is more” school and utilising nightmarish sounds to evoke nightmarish visions, ‘Re-Awaken’ is, in every sense of the word, a stunning piece. A paralyzing darkness fills the room when this album is played. Nordvargr’s decision to revamp this album should bring it to the attention of those that would otherwise have missed out on an experience that is reassuringly sinister. Stimulating, dismally meditative and fearsome, this is definitely not for the faint-hearted. Turn the lights off and see how long you can last.

8/10

Jason Guest