Really having trouble starting to record digitally...

Chziime

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2008
I have a Line 6 Pod 2.0 with GarageBand and Guitar Rig on my iMac. Going from the guitar to the Pod to GarageBand created too many amp/effect variables, so I went straight from my guitar into the computer's line-in. When using the programs' metal tones, I get a lot of feedback and latency. Could it be my line-in's fault, or just the fact that I'm recording with GarageBand like an indie rock kid? I might be doing everything wrong... what is the way to go with my software/equipment, and how do you all record guitar?

You shouldn't be using a line input for recording guitar. You need something with a high impedance input (Hi-z) for recording guitars direct.

Your latency is caused by the buffer settings in Garageband. Set the buffer as low as possible before it causes clicks or pops in the audio. If you can get down to 128 samples or less you'll be fine. Change the buffer back to it's highest setting once you're done recording and into mixing.

Feedback is most likely caused by too much gain on the amp sim. Turn it down and see if it improves things.

Ah, thanks so much. How would I record guitar direct, then? I forgot to mention that I have a Zoom H4n that I use for filmmaking, how can I use its hi-z inputs with my iMac and GarageBand?