Recommend me some bands please!

bass_lover1

\m/ metal head \m/
Apr 28, 2005
Florida
Ok, well yea it's the Opeth forum, but everyone here seems knowledgable about music.

I'm not new to the Metal scene, but I'm really only familiar with the more (for lack of a better word) popular bands, such as Opeth (no shit), Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Edge of Sanity, CoB, In Flames...and such.

So, I come to you to reccomend me ONE (yes ONE, cause I do plan to buy them ;)) album from a band that every metal head should have in their collection...I know it might be hard, but atleast try for me, k?

Ok, so...lets get started then

I keep hearing mentions to Athiest, Edge of Sanity (I know Dan Swano is a genious but I dont have any CDs by them...cept Crimson which rocks).

...well I'll stop rambling and let you guys help me out there.

Aye, good call.

I like anything with a good tune, I guess more Melodic than anything. I'm not a fan of the really fast stuff where I would have to be a bobble head doll to keep up with the beats and whatnot.

Not really a fan of Black metal though...not because of the sound but because I dont like the topic since I'm Catholic (and I listen to death metal, go figure).

That's fair enough mate, it's a shame about the Black Metal because some of the bands out their are really talented. Try Holy Blood, it's BM with christian ethical messages, and it's pretty good. Do you listen to anything by Death? The band that is, that's pretty much awesome. For bands with a good tune i'd recommened Wintersun (Viking Folk type stuff), and a fair amount of power metal, Manowar, Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Dragonforce. But you know, you named some of the best modern death metal bands in your first post there, your going in the right direction if that's the sort of thing your listening to, next try Arch Enemy and a spot of The Haunted. If you like the Haunted try At the Gates and at the point your pretty much at the chronological start of Gothenburgh Death Metal at that point you have to go back yet further and check out all the stuff that came from the Florida Death metal scene Death, Mobid Angel etc. It's all good shit really.

Powers said:
That's fair enough mate, it's a shame about the Black Metal because some of the bands out their are really talented. Try Holy Blood, it's BM with christian ethical messages, and it's pretty good. Do you listen to anything by Death? The band that is, that's pretty much awesome. For bands with a good tune i'd recommened Wintersun (Viking Folk type stuff), and a fair amount of power metal, Manowar, Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Dragonforce. But you know, you named some of the best modern death metal bands in your first post there, your going in the right direction if that's the sort of thing your listening to, next try Arch Enemy and a spot of The Haunted. If you like the Haunted try At the Gates and at the point your pretty much at the chronological start of Gothenburgh Death Metal at that point you have to go back yet further and check out all the stuff that came from the Florida Death metal scene Death, Mobid Angel etc. It's all good shit really.

Don't get me wrong, I do like stuff like Old Man's Child and Dimmu Borgir, but the whole theme they portray is what sets me aside, granted I do like how they both sound!

Heard of Death, but never heard them. I'll look into Wintersun, Manowar, Hammerfall, Rhapsody, and Dragonforce...I've heard of all of them, but I've only listened to Rhapsody (which I find to be very cool, I like that Opera sounding metal Nightwish and stuff).

I have every Arch Enemy cd (not legally though) I enjoy the old vocalist more and the new stuff has me turned off because of that, not because she's bad I just like the guy better.

I've got 3 or 4 The Haunted CDs (missing the first, self titled) and love all of it. I also have Terminal Spirit Disease, and Slaughter of the Soul...both of which kick some MAJOR ass ;).

Thanks, and keep em coming :headbang:

Sounds like you could enjoy Carcass - Heartwork. One of the first melodic death metal albums, and one of the finest too.

Carcass sounded good from the crappy 28kb/s samples on amazon.

Wintersun and Ensiferum were a no go there, so not sure about those two.

Nevermore...forgot to mention them saw them live with Opeth back in November, they kick a lot of ass too. That solo in The Riverdragon Has Come...sends tingles up my spine, lol.

I've been listening to a lot of Agalloch lately...

So... Agalloch - Pale Folklore

or

Woods of Ypres - Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth

Although I'm sure you'd like Heartwork, it's way similar to the stuff you already listed. Try branching out a bit more. Get Athiest - Unquestionable Presence, or Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness. Accept no substitutes.

Novembre - Novembrine Waltz
Primordial - Storm Before Calm

both have growls+clean vocals and lots of melodies (Primordial leans towards BM though)

Enslaved!

I recommend the following albums:

* Monumension (2001)
* Below The Lights (2003) My personal favourite!
* ISA (2004) , I especially think this one appeal for those new to Enslaved!