recording software question

the alumnus

Nov 25, 2002
Visit site
so i've been recording with cooledit pro 2.0 recently, and i've run across a problem. i use cooledit to do multitrack direct recordings one track at a time. the problem i'm having is that i have to mute the previos tracks to record a new track without any bleeding. but with the track muted, it makes it difficult to sync up the tracks neatly. are there any tricks within the software to overcome this problem, or should i seek out new software, and if i should seek out new software, which would you recommend?

the alumnus said:
so i've been recording with cooledit pro 2.0 recently, and i've run across a problem. i use cooledit to do multitrack direct recordings one track at a time. the problem i'm having is that i have to mute the previos tracks to record a new track without any bleeding. but with the track muted, it makes it difficult to sync up the tracks neatly. are there any tricks within the software to overcome this problem, or should i seek out new software, and if i should seek out new software, which would you recommend?
Doesn't cool edit have a metronome or click track? Turn it on!

Otherwise you could record wearing headphones so that the mic won't pick up what you've already recorded.

I always wear headphones. I don't record the .wavs in cooledit, though. I record them in JetAudio and then I piece the wavs together in Cooledit and then I record the harmonies/second guitar in jetaudio while it plays in my headphones. Headphones are the best choice.

Mattias of the Night said:
Doesn't cool edit have a metronome or click track? Turn it on!

Otherwise you could record wearing headphones so that the mic won't pick up what you've already recorded.

actually i do use headphones and record direct. i found that after i record bass tracks, and start on guitar, by the time i record the final guitar harmony track all the other tracks have bled onto the last track. this causes the wav file to clip, and is really annoying. i'd rather record track by track by syncing with the previous track rather than using a click track, so if i have to dump cooledit for cakewalk or some other software, i will.

Something sounds screwy with the software or settings or something. It shouldn't be bleeding onto the other tracks. The only way you should get bleeding is when a mic pics up the sound coming from your monitors, and since you aren't micing this doesn't make much sense.

I never had such problems with Cool Edit Pro 2
but I have a differen question:
what is the best way to record guitars and vocals in that programm, I use to plug my guitar/microphone into the amp, and the lineout of the amp into the linein of the PC. the problem is: when recording that way, the input seems to be way to high, so the sound sounds not very good (pretty crappy to say the truth).
I guess my amp gives to much power into the PC to handle, is that right? what can I do against it? turning down the microphone-volume in windows doesnt have a great effect, any suggestions???

Hexer said:
what is the best way to record guitars and vocals in that programm, I use to plug my guitar/microphone into the amp, and the lineout of the amp into the linein of the PC. the problem is: when recording that way, the input seems to be way to high, so the sound sounds not very good (pretty crappy to say the truth).
I guess my amp gives to much power into the PC to handle, is that right? what can I do against it? turning down the microphone-volume in windows doesnt have a great effect, any suggestions???

what sort of soundcard do you have? i have the soundblaster audigy with the front bay, and the mic imput jack has a volume knob that i use. also, i record direct with a line 6 pod, so that probably invalidates any advice i would give because recording direct is the pod's primary function.

the alumnus said:
actually i do use headphones and record direct. i found that after i record bass tracks, and start on guitar, by the time i record the final guitar harmony track all the other tracks have bled onto the last track. this causes the wav file to clip, and is really annoying. i'd rather record track by track by syncing with the previous track rather than using a click track, so if i have to dump cooledit for cakewalk or some other software, i will.
This sounds like a soundcard problem, not a software problem. What sounds most likely is that you have the recording source set up wrongly. Check the volume control/mixer and make sure the recording source is set to the correct input (sounds like the dual line/mic in). Having it set to 'what you hear' or anything other than a line/mic in port will probably give you mixed sound.

Bear in mind though that as soon as you record 2 or more tracks you're going to get some sort of clipping. When you lay your 2nd track down, adjust the levels on both tracks down a bit to compensate for this. There are probably visual output meters in Cool Edit that let you judge the general level.

Hexer said:
what is the best way to record guitars and vocals in that programm, I use to plug my guitar/microphone into the amp, and the lineout of the amp into the linein of the PC.
turning down the microphone-volume in windows doesnt have a great effect, any suggestions???
From this, it sounds like you're equating line-in with mic-in. The levels on these tend to differ significantly, especially since most computers expect condenser microphones rather than dynamic ones (used by musicians). So if you have a choice, make sure you use the right socket. If you don't have the choice, then there's a good chance that your system isn't really adequate for recording from a variety of sources.

Personally I have the most luck by placing the mic in front of the amp. Direct line-out from amps and effects units tends to sound a bit odd.

Mics work MIRACLES for these things. a MIC is what you need. Direct ins where you plug the guitar into the soundcard gets usually very bad sound. All you need to do is find your mic in and put one in the slot, then put your amp up to it and start playing. there ya go. I personally use a different program (JetAudio) to record the various tracks, and I find that it works alot better and is much easier to work with than cooledit. I've used it for all the songs I've recorded and they all came out good (all 37 of them). So, basically, you need a mic bad

TheDarkProject said:
This sounds like a soundcard problem, not a software problem. What sounds most likely is that you have the recording source set up wrongly. Check the volume control/mixer and make sure the recording source is set to the correct input (sounds like the dual line/mic in). Having it set to 'what you hear' or anything other than a line/mic in port will probably give you mixed sound.

Bear in mind though that as soon as you record 2 or more tracks you're going to get some sort of clipping. When you lay your 2nd track down, adjust the levels on both tracks down a bit to compensate for this. There are probably visual output meters in Cool Edit that let you judge the general level.

hmmm, i'm running my guitar into the mic in that is in the front bay drive of my audigy 2 card. i tried changing the recording source settings, but no dice. i feel that it will probably be important later on down the road if all my tracks stay seperate, say keep the bass out of my guitar tracks, etc. i really like cooledit's layout, which is simple and easy to use. is cooledit not able to do what i want? it seems the only way to record a new track is to mute the old track or hit solo, which mutes all other tracks.

NocturnalSun said:
exactly why i said before, you should actually use a mic and not a sound card, and record in a seperate program like JetAudio.

ok, so tell me about jetaudio-how much does it cost, or is it the sort of thing available on kazaa, and what sort of sampling rate does it support?

i'm not ditching my setup, because my setup has great tone. the only problem is the software, so as long as jetaudio supports my multitracking needs i'll try it.

NocturnalSun said:
exactly why i said before, you should actually use a mic and not a sound card, and record in a seperate program like JetAudio.
Screw that, a pod is the way to go!

I don't know about the Audigy 2, but the first Audigy which I used to own was very terrible. It doesn't work for music (never mind what Creative advertises it as). Latencies in sonar and cubase were severe, and the asio drivers would hardly work at all in cubase sx. No music software company actually seems to support the Audigy. Instead, the Audigy comes with its modified software bundle (like creative's own modified version of cubasis), and it seems like it will only work well with those. I don't know if the Audigy 2 is better.

the alumnus said:
This actually sounds like you have the 'What U Hear' (or something like that) enabled. To correct the problem, go into the advanced Volume Control app, select Options -> Properties -> Recording -> OK and then switch the input from 'What U Hear' (or 'Master' or the equivalent) to JUST the input you are using.

Mattias of the Night said:
Screw that, a pod is the way to go!

I don't know about the Audigy 2, but the first Audigy which I used to own was very terrible. It doesn't work for music (never mind what Creative advertises it as). Latencies in sonar and cubase were severe, and the asio drivers would hardly work at all in cubase sx. No music software company actually seems to support the Audigy. Instead, the Audigy comes with its modified software bundle (like creative's own modified version of cubasis), and it seems like it will only work well with those. I don't know if the Audigy 2 is better.
Nonsense. The Audigy and Audigy 2 are supported very well in Sonar 2.x/3.0 and Nuendo.

Hell, I used to use a SB Live! not to long ago with little problems and the latency is MUCH worse with a Live! than the Audigy cards.

And if you doubt me, click on the Shadow Demon link below and listen to the audio tracks we have on our web site. Some of those tracks were recorded into an Audigy2. I'll bet you'll never guess which ones. ;)