releases 2008!

the only two? haha. i take issue with that!

amorphis, blind guardian, bal-sagoth, vanden plas, dark tranquillity, therion, kamelot, solefald, royal hunt.

amorphis had one bad one, but i can find almost no fault in the rest of their catalogs.

so suck it, aesop! :lol:

the only two? haha. i take issue with that!

amorphis, blind guardian, bal-sagoth, vanden plas, dark tranquillity, therion, kamelot, solefald, royal hunt.

amorphis had one bad one, but i can find almost no fault in the rest of their catalogs.

so suck it, aesop! :lol:

I think I just got Gadlowned. :lol:

But yeah, I'm a huge fan of Amorphis and Bal-Sagoth (in fact, anytime anyone asks me to describe Skyfire to them I usually say Bal-Sagoth meets Enthrone Darkness Triumphant era Dimmu Borgir meets Dark Tranquillity), but neither of those bands (in my opinion at least) put out any album that would top my year end list, for example, whereas both Nevermore and Symphony X always seem to do. Those bands are just on another level of quality imo. As for Dark Tranquillity... well they come very close but I did have a very weird reaction to their last album. At first I underwent the typical DTgasm, but then I got really bored of it quickly and now I find myself listening to it and enjoying it but not loving nearly enough as Character. Also even though Haven was decent, it's pretty weak by DT standards.

^^ I had the exact same reaction to Fiction. I loved it for the first week, then it sat on my desk for like 2 months. I know it's good but it just didn't have the power that Character did. Still DT are putting out metal gospels compared to In Flames, Soilwork, etc.

As for bands that continually put out quality releases, I would have to say that Symphony X and Nevermore are just power trains. Every release gets better, and I just can't see them topping TGE or PL. Also, I don't know about you guys but AMON AMARTH! They're one of those bands that I just cannot picture releasing an album that isn't badass as hell. I would like to name a few bands that only have 3-4 albums, but all their releases have been consistently kicking ass and taking names: Arsis, Kalmah, Skyfire, Detonation, Ensiferum, Mercenary, and Mors Principium Est. Arsis and Mors are carving a new genre (technical melodic dm), Mercenary are leagues ahead of any progressive power/death band (besides nevermore), Detonation just writes riff-gasm after riff-gasm, and Kalmah Skyfire and Ensiferum have not wronged me yet.

On a different note, I have never heard one track from Bal-Sagoth. Ever. Looking to quell this atrocity right now. Where should I start?

Haha. For Bal-Sagoth..damn. I dunno where even to begin. I guess one good song from each album is a decent way to represent their style: "Starfire Burning Upon The Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule", "Atlantis Ascendant", "Callisto Rising", "A Tale from the Deep Woods", and "The Hammer of the Emperor" are my choices from the various cds. Their songs are bizarrely complex for only having one guitar player.

Callisto Rising and A Tale from the Deep Woods are probably the most straightforwardly awesome. The others may take a while to set in.

Sagoth are awesome if you like comic books / fantasy / war / horror / types of stuff all combined into musical form. At first it may be the most hilarious thing ever but once you get into it you become part of the Sagoth universe. Definitely read along with the lyric books from start to finish to get the full experience.

All I'm gonna say Don, is to get ready to laugh at the most hilariously awesome songtitles you've ever seen (re: Bal-Sagoth). Great band.

OK so I started off my Sagoth quest with the Atlantis Ascendant disc. I have 3 words to describe my initial reaction: Wow. Lol. Nice. We shall see how this pans out.

On a side note, I've said it once, but I'll say it again. Epic Fail of 2008: Peter Dolving. Go die, bitch. I hate ye. Stop ruining records. Stop embarrasing yourself on the net. What a fucking d-bag. Sorry for the angst, but it's like if Matt Heafy did vocals for Skyfire and slowly killed the band in the process.

Nevermore fans, dunno if you guys are aware (didnt see it mentioned in this thread) but both Warrel Dane (vocals) and Jeff Loomis (main guitarist) both put out solo albums this year. WD's came out in May, and Jeff's officially comes out in a week. neither is up to the same high standard as Nevermore (for me), but both are definitely worth a listen for fans of the band.

Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine: features Peter Witchers of Soilwork on guitar, but its not much of a riff-fest. the focus is definitely on the vocals and the guitars mostly groove, and the solos dont get too out of hand. i like it, but the lyrics are different than Nevermore, more personal, and he's trying kind of a different approach so the vocal delivery mostly lacks the venom that makes him my favorite clean singer in the first place. still, definitely recommended for fans to check out.

Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase: awesome instrumental epic melodic shredfest with far more metal riffage than is usually found on shred albums. do you like Jason Becker and Nevermore? listen now! do you think Jeff Loomis 'wanks' too much already? you probably wont like it. also, the song on his myspace is probably my least favorite on the album.

Nevermore fans, dunno if you guys are aware (didnt see it mentioned in this thread) but both Warrel Dane (vocals) and Jeff Loomis (main guitarist) both put out solo albums this year. WD's came out in May, and Jeff's officially comes out in a week. neither is up to the same high standard as Nevermore (for me), but both are definitely worth a listen for fans of the band.

Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine: features Peter Witchers of Soilwork on guitar, but its not much of a riff-fest. the focus is definitely on the vocals and the guitars mostly groove, and the solos dont get too out of hand. i like it, but the lyrics are different than Nevermore, more personal, and he's trying kind of a different approach so the vocal delivery mostly lacks the venom that makes him my favorite clean singer in the first place. still, definitely recommended for fans to check out.

Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase: awesome instrumental epic melodic shredfest with far more metal riffage than is usually found on shred albums. do you like Jason Becker and Nevermore? listen now! do you think Jeff Loomis 'wanks' too much already? you probably wont like it. also, the song on his myspace is probably my least favorite on the album.

The solo releases are not up to snuff with Nevermore's standards which to be honest, I kind of expected. Warrel's album is hit or miss for me. Some shitty filler, but also some of the most soulful stuff I've ever heard him do. The Loomis album was just awful imo. I love Loomis, but that album was sooo boring. Maybe I'm instrumentally jaded after listening to last year's Blotted Science- The Machinations Of Dementia and Guthrie Govan- Erotic Cakes.

Haha. I fail to see how you possibly could get jaded after listening to an album titled Erotic Cakes.

Honestly, Don, I wasn't thrilled with Arsis' United in Regret, though I may just be a bad human being. Any track in particular I should try off there? (My favorites from A Celebration of Guilt are definitely the Face of My Innocence and Looking To Nothing). Similar question for We Are The Nightmare - it's sitting on my hd relatively untouched.

I'm definitely more ready to agree about Amon Amarth. Though I think there are one or two songs on their latest that don't strike my fancy, the really awesome tracks more than make up for it. (Which seems to be a trend for me on most of their releases) I could take or leave Guardians of Asguard but Twilight of the Thunder God, The Hero, and Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags just kick too much ass for it to matter.

Whatever Mercenary are doing, I agree, it's really good. I think I like The Hours That Remain a little more than Architect of Lies but that's just because I've spin it more.

Throw Soilwork upon the "Oh God I Don't Even Bother Anymore" list.

I listened to Praises to the War Machine and just thought "meh". I like Warrel Dane's voice, but not enough to sit through that record more than a few times. Haven't heard Jeff Loomis' solo project, but if it's a shred fest count me in.

Gadlor: For me Arsis are like godsends. They give me the Necrophagist-gasm of technicality but they wrap it in a masterful melodic death metal tinfoil. On United In Regret, try "Lust Before the Maggots Conquest" (the main riff is just disgusting, quite literally), "The Cold Resistance", and "The Hopeless Truth". The latter two are very melodic in the vein of some songs off A Celebration of Guilt. As for We Are the Nightmare, it is much more deathly and technical than anything they've done before, but if you're looking for something a bit more easy to digest, try "We Are the Nightmare", "Sightless Wisdom", and "Overthrown". Also to mention is their EP A Diamond for Disease. Most EPIC track of all time. If you want an easy way to get into them, just smoke a demon blunt, sit back, and let them tear your face off.

I agree with the Amon Amarth comments too. Twilight has some real winners (Twilight of the Thunder God, The Hero, Live for the Kill, Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags, Where is Your God?), and a couple tracks that just make you say "yeah, that's Amon Amarth alright. Moving on..." I just think the tracks that kill kill harder than anything they've done before.

OK so "Bands we couldn't give two shits about list v.2":

1) In Flames
2) The Haunted
3) Soilwork

Tentative candidates (after last release):

Norther ("N" blew shit)
Hammerfall (does anyone actually like these guys?)
Darkthrone (lolz)
Stratovarius (lolz again)

Anybody like to expand?

I love Hammerfall's first few albums. Maybe that's because I'll take whatever Chuck Schuldiner endorsed, but also because they were a fun band. Unfortunately, they have become a giant parody.

Gaddy, you need to check out that Govan album. 'Erotic Cakes' is a retarded title sure, but this dude will make you cry his playing is so good.

As for Arsis.. well I only really liked "A Celebration Of Guilt". :(

I was really let down by Figure Number Five, and Stabbing the Drama was not too much better. I actually liked the guitar playing on Sworn to A Great Divide. It was a breath of fresh air to hear some RIFFS again, not just proddy singalong rythms. I think Soilwork is fine musically but Bjorn Strid is losing it in terms of band direction. It's like In Flames except Anders can't sing. His old growls now sound like distorted yelling, and every single song HAS to have some clean cringeful chorus. We shall see if Peter makes a difference. Somehow I just don't see this new record being much different from their last 3.

When I first heard Figure Number Five when it came out, I was very disappointed. I did not listen to it for a little while, then when I gave it another shot, I loved it. It is one of my favourite albums by them. It has some great, though short, solos.

With Stabbing The Drama, I liked it from the start, but not as much as Figure Number Five. I agree that Björn's vocals have gotten worse since this album. I do not like some of his clean singing. I also think that his harsh vocals on Sworn To A Great Divide are ugly too. There were some decent song on the album, but I do not think it had as much quality. If I remember, the best tracks were Exile and Martyr. The outro to Martyr is pretty sweet.

OK. Cradle of Filth - Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder... I like it. I hate cradle for the most part, but there are some great tunes on this one. I'm not saying it's an amazing record, as there is still a significant amount of gay, but it's definitely a step up from their previous 2-3 efforts. Seems they brought back the speed and this record feels a bit more epic. Maybe I'm just high. Discuss.

@The Don, I haven't heard any of their new stuff in years but I'll have to check it out. I used to jam their old stuff back before they became one of the most hated bands on the planet. (which might have been when they came into existence for some) I thought they used to be pretty good but I think their gothery got too out of hand.

New Cradle was pretty decent imo. I really liked Nymphetamine and Midian so I don't totally hate them but I'm not a huge fan either, like Donny.