Right Hand speed techniques

Harris has said, and I've seen it myself, that he occasionally uses three fingers. Not very often, but he does use his third finger.

i use the method that Steve has given in his coloumn..and like tyr i use right hand muting more often but not in the way gary willis does it i mute the string using my thumb

I've been trying to "optimize" my 3-2-1-2- 3-2-1-2 approach for ages now, but to no avail.
It seems that I'm stuck in a place where the simple 1-2-1-2 is still faster.
In addition, the faster I try to play, the more I notice that playing position is blocking my progress on speed and equal sound of notes. I usually go back to 60bpm in order to clarify
the problem. I've done that a couple of times, this doesn't help much.
Things I've tried:
* Left hand 4-3-2-1 1-2-3-4, 4-4-3-3-2-2-1-1, 4-4-4-4 3-3-3-3 2-2-2-2 etc. patterns on various strings to accompany right hand 3 finger 1/16 notes.
* Positioning the right hand near the bridge or near the neck, both seem uncomfortable when
playing a low B string (tried positioning thumb on both pickups).
* putting the bass strap on, even when sitting down, so that bass and fingers will be positioned in the same place no matter whether I play sitting or standing.
* "kill those muscles" practice sessions - practicing 3 finger technique in front of tv until they can move no longer.
* playing with drum machine, playing without drum machine, playing with music, playing without it.
Surely there is a better method that could bring me more visible progress.

One of the most important qualities you need to develop in this, or any other technique is that the notes should sound even. As Steve says, this means that the notes should come at the correct moment in time, both on and off the beat. The notes should also be of equal volume. If you are using a three-finger technique then you need to be constantly aware that your third finger will never be as strong as the first two. You need to compensate for that. Experiment with various ways you can do that, such as angling your wrist so that your third finger is the one closest to the string. Also since your third finger is weaker, you need to deliberately make your other two fingers weaker when you are using the third, so that all the notes are produced with the same volume.

In order to perfect these things though, it requires much practice. In order to do these things quickly, you need to acquire a feeling of lightness while you are doing it, as if the action of plucking the string with your finger doesn't even require any notable force. Your fingers should feel free, as if you are just tapping them on a desk. Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about here should definitely look at this article. It's an article about left-hand speed on the guitar, but I think it most definitely applies to right-hand speed if you are finger-picking your bass.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/finding_the_incredible_lightness.html

Hope some of this is helpful ....

I have a terrible three finger technique, to be quite honest. I mean, I can definitely gallop like crazy, but when playing on multiple strings or anything overly complicated, I always switch back to two fingers. I'm trying to improve my technique so I don't get stuck on certain passages using 3-2-1-2-3.

is there any way you could improve on a 3-4-3-4 technique??? Or is that just stupid?

I moved to 3-finger bass around a month ago so I am only now getting used to it. I can do more comfortably a 16th-beat 3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1.

It was around 3 years ago when a guy on this thread was talking about placing your forearm between fingers, could someone tell me if this actually works??? Or am I about to tear my muscles apart for no reason.

And last question, what other excercises could improve speed or flexibility while just watching tv, or not paying attention in class??

Can you tell me what is the difference between playing with 2 finger style and 3 finger style???

I think that all the 2 can have the same speed but I think that It's more fast when you play note at groups of 3 to use the 3 finger style (sorry I have difficulty in english =P)

2-finger has a limit amount of speed whether you play 1-3-1-3 or 1-2-1-2 or maybe even 2-3-2-3 which i dont think anyone does... 2 fingers can provide a nice even sound, and it tends to be very steady..

3-finger can increase your speed by much much more if your into following blast beats lol... if your starting off on 3-finger, its going to sound very uneven and give you a triplet feel, that just requires training, thats my input for it anyways

I normally use the 3-2-1 fingering, and when I can get all my fingers to apply the same pressure, it sounds even and not triplettish. I personally find it a lot faster and more effective than the 3-2-1-2 fingering.

I've tried to use 3212, but I fail horribly since I can't really get it to go. At first, I had "Harris hand", where my index and middle were my only two fingers I used, with my ring tagging along for the ride (like Steve Harris often plays), and I slowly got out of that habit by opening my hand more when I play, and I can do 321 pretty decently, but I can't really do anything else.

guys,you have so many god damn problems that i just had to write something... i use 4 fingers speeding : 3 groups 12 23 34 used the same way as 12 fingers ...triplets -whatever finger strikes...the problem is that all fingers have to move and feel as the first one does.Check out Les Claypool,Pete Perez (Spastic Ink) Johm Myung and many many more ... hippie too:) remember :the feel and sound is more important than the finger you use no matter which
hail santa

That's right. Just fuck around with different styles until you find one that feels and sounds right for you.

One thing no one mentioned here is that you can strike strings with your thumb as well. I can get very clear-sounding sixteenths by playing T,3,2,1,T,3,2,1. Or you can try triplets: T,2,1,T,2,1

Strike it like slapping? Or strike it like "picking" it with your thumb? Either way, I think it'd slow you down a lot. I've tried something like that and I can never get back to speed.

I actually meant picking with your thumb, as in flamenco guitar technique, but I'm sure you could use the slap as well if you wanted. When I first started playing Steve's 3,2,1,2 technique I was really slow at that too, but like any other method, the speed will eventually come with practise.

Steves technique is very good..
especially that you have to play fast with two fingers (e.g. 8th-notes in 240bpm) and 3212 use only for 16th's (as for me 180bpm is max now)..
Problem is that 3-2-1-2 technique is imho slower than 1-2-1-2-1-2 while playing all-the-time, but when you do 1-2-1-2-3212-1-2 you get 'tighter' in that place