Sad news (unrelated to Katatonia)

Mantraschism

Skáld
Oct 23, 2002
Augusta, GA (Lost in the Twilight Hall)
I'll first say that this post does not relate to Katatonia, but I feel that it is very sad and pertinent to metal as a whole, so I hope that Jesse will not close this thread.

The sad news is that Thomen 'The Omen' Stauch, drummer of Blind Guardian, has decided to leave the band. You can go to www.blind-guardian.com and read more about the reasons, given by Hansi Kürsch and Thomen. I'm deeply saddened by this news, as Blind Guardian have been my favorite band for several years now. They will not be the same. Blind Guardian had the same line-up for about 20 years, and Thomen was an integral part of the magic in their music. I encourage anyone here who has not heard Blind Guardian to check them out to hear what I mean.

Of course, Blind Guardian are not breaking up, and Thomen is not leaving music, so things aren't as bad as they could be. In fact, Thomen has an album coming out with his band called Savage Circus, and from what I've heard, the sound is very reminiscent of earlier Blind Guardian, a la Tales from the Twilight World. I've heard nothing but good about it. Also, he has a project coming out in the near future called Cold Seed with 'Speed' Strid of Soilwork on vocals (and please, refrain from Soilwork bashing in this thread), which should be interesting at least. And of course we have the next Blind Guardian album to look forward to, as well as Hansi's and Marcus' (Siepen, Blind Guardian's rhythm guitarist) orchestral project based on The Lord of the Rings.

That's all the news as far as I know it. Again, I hope Jesse will not close this thread, although I understand if he has to.

Mantraschism said:
@Cerulean: Fuck yourself. Asshole.

@The Foreverlorn and Jinn: Yeah, I agree with both of your comments.

@Aaron A.: You should really check them out.
What are they like? What are some of their better songs? :)

Yeah, they're power metalish, but their roots are German speed metal. They're very epic sounding. My favorite songs by them are:

Majesty
Banish from Sanctuary
Damned for All Time
Valhalla
Welcome to Dying
Lord of the Rings
Lost in the Twilight Hall
The Last Candle
Time What is Time
Theatre of Pain
The Bard's Song - In the Forest
The Bard's Song - The Hobbit
Somewhere Far Beyond
Imaginations from the Other Side
I'm Alive
A Past and Future Secret
Mordred's Song
Born in a Mourning Hall
Bright Eyes
AND THE STORY ENDS (my favorite song of all time)
Into the Storm
Nightfall
Blood Tears
Mirror Mirror
Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill)
The Eldar
When Sorrow Sang
A Dark Passage (Thus Ends...)
Battlefield
Sadly Sings Destiny
The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight
Wait for an Answer
The Soulforged
Age of False Innocence
Punishment Divine
And Then There Was Silence
Harvest of Sorrow

There you go. Best albums to start with are probably Imaginations from the Other Side and Nightfall in Middle-Earth, as well as Somewhere Far Beyond. Enjoy. =]

@Cerulean: Or, rather, you're allowed to just not say anything at all if all you have to say is negative.

@Wanderer: Same for you. Saying that you would rather that he 'suicided' (not that that's a verb) is extremely uncalled-for.

@Hobo: Well, I didn't say that everyone would care -- this was just for the BG fans on this board (which there are).

@Mr. Lehto: Actually, Savage Circus is not his full-time band, I believe. I think that Cold Seed is. I hope I'm not wrong, or else there was no need for him to leave Blind Guardian for 'differing musical paths'.

@jptk: \m/

Alright, alright. I realize that you do not want me, personally, dead -- it's just that when you say that you want any member of my favorite band dead, I take it personally. Of course you have the right to hate them, and even the right to wish such ill on them, but I also have the right to take issue with it when you say so. Fair enough? As far as the English lesson... I think I'll pass -- that was just a part of my reaction to your statement.

@Cerulean: Ok, fine. I knew that this wasn't 'the right forum' (i.e., the Blind Guardian forum) when I posted this thread, but I also knew that some people here do like them and might not have known about this. If I had known that it would just turn into a flaming session, I wouldn't have bothered. In any case, you've more than made your point by now.

Sorry to everyone whose style apparently got very cramped by the existence of this thread.