sails of charon

causeddevil

Apr 7, 2006
osterburg, germany
hey james,

i´m wondering if you played the cover song "sails of charon" on the best of testament album: signs of chaos.
If so (and it sounds so) i´ve to go down to my knees and worship you one more time :worship: because that´s the best versions of the song i´ve ever heard.
it is so fluid and so emotional - uli jon roth would love to hear your interpretation i think.
but i´ve also a question. how did you transcribe that solo piece? Did you slow down the solo or could you transcribe it at full speed or did you have any notation for it?
i saw uli at two concerts in 2006 and sails of charon was definitly the highlight of the show.

greetings and
i wish you all the best ... :headbang:

yes, that was me... and Uli has heard my version... and i've got a great story to share about that, as well as pic.... stay tuned for more on that.

as far as transcribing it.. i had no tab, just figured it out by ear. i did have a little Ibanez walkman-sized device that was slowing tapes down half-speed... i may have used that for some of it, though usually the fidelity was terrible on that thing.

sadly i lost the photo... of me and Uli... met him at NAMM a couple years back and short story even shorter, he told me my version of the opening S.O.C. solo was the best he'd ever heard... and that i was in fact the only one he's ever heard "do it right". it was a landmark moment for me, as Uli is one of my biggest influences of all time.

I'm gutted to have lost that pic. if anyone sees it anywhere on the web (i did send it to a couple people but can't remember who) please do send me the link... or better yet, save the pic and email me the file at: jfmguitarist@hotmail.com

thx