SCORPIONS and RATT US TOUR!!!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Icon vs. Icon recently conducted an interview with RATT drummer Bobby Blotzer. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Icon vs. Icon: What can we expect from RATT in regards to your tour plans?

Blotzer: We're touring, we've got a bunch of shows going all through April and a bunch in May that are kind of fly-out stuff. Then, June 8th we leave for Europe for six weeks. Playin all these huge festivals all over the place over there. We'll come back here and there's a big tour coming out. Actually I'm sitting here talking to you and I'm hearing "Click, click", it's e-mails coming in and I'm waiting for news of the announcement of this tour that we're going to be doing starting in July and into August. It's going to be a big tour. And I just got this announcement! I can let you in on, the SCORPIONS are who we're going to be touring with this year.

Icon vs. Icon: Is that going to be a U.S. tour?

Blotzer: Yes, a U.S. tour later with the SCORPIONS. But anyhow, once we go through summer here and Europe and then back here we're going to go through South America, Australia, Japan and Canada.
---

Man, I hope Blotzer did not blow his load too soon like George Lynch did with the Dokken reunion news. This would be an amazing tour and the thought of it has a smile on my face ten miles wide. I have never seen Scorps or Ratt live so this would be absolutely amazing, epecially if this is the last US tour for the Scorpions.

I'm cool with Ratt, but I'd like it even better if the Scorpions brought over Edguy, since they will already be touring in Europe together.

I think edguy's a better fit anyway. Edguy is more like the Scorpions these days than a power metal band, and Ratt's that LA sleaze sound.

This would be a kick-ass tour! Saw the Scorpions not too long ago and they were awesome. Actually, haven't ever had the chance to see RATT. Sure hope it comes around.

I'm cool with Ratt, but I'd like it even better if the Scorpions brought over Edguy, since they will already be touring in Europe together.

See in bold.

Edguy won't help sell tickets to the target audience in the States for the Scorps. RATT will. Any promoter in the States is not looking to underground metal fans for ticket sales,they are going for the 80s nostalgia market, which RATT fits.

I see your point, but I think people here fail to realize that your favorite bands are in a VERY small niche market in the States. Sure, it is growing a bit, but you won't see Iron Maiden bringing out Blind Guardian or Gamma Ray out as an opener on a US tour.

See in bold.

Edguy won't help sell tickets to the target audience in the States for the Scorps. RATT will. Any promoter in the States is not looking to underground metal fans for ticket sales,they are going for the 80s nostalgia market, which RATT fits.

I see your point, but I think people here fail to realize that your favorite bands are in a VERY small niche market in the States. Sure, it is growing a bit, but you won't see Iron Maiden bringing out Blind Guardian or Gamma Ray out as an opener on a US tour.

Agreed on Edguy not being right for Scorpions in the States. However, personally I think Iron Maiden could bring in one of those bands. I mean if they can bring in Lauren Harris for crying out loud, they can bring them in. I know they might be a bit more expensive but they for sure would bring more people to the show than Lauren. :lol:

Plus, Iron Maiden will sell enough tickets regardless of the opener. I know it won't happen though.

However, personally I think Iron Maiden could bring in one of those bands. I mean if they can bring in Lauren Harris for crying out loud, they can bring them in. I know they might be a bit more expensive but they for sure would bring more people to the show than Lauren. :lol:

Plus, Iron Maiden will sell enough tickets regardless of the opener. I know it won't happen though.

Iron Maiden could bring anyone along they wanted to. But, of course, NOT to the Southeast. :erk: :rolleyes:

Still, Edguy or BG opening for Maiden in the States won't earn those bands any more fans.

The majority of people in the US going to see a band like Maiden, Priest, or Scorps would not care less about the opener.

This niche group of fans we are make up what, maybe 5% at most of the attendance at an arena show?

Sorry folks, but you have to think outside the bubble sometimes.

Looking very forward to this, just hope they don't skip Atlanta - that would necessitate a roadtrip for sure!!!

Still, Edguy or BG opening for Maiden in the States won't earn those bands any more fans.

The majority of people in the US going to see a band like Maiden, Priest, or Scorps would not care less about the opener.

This niche group of fans we are make up what, maybe 5% at most of the attendance at an arena show?

Right but Maiden dont need more fans. They will sell out a show almost anywhere. I think what people were trying to say is Maiden could pick an underground to open for them because Maiden likes them.

Oh I know. That's why I said at the end that it will never happen. Maiden is about the hardest band to open for as their fans are very finicky and live within the Maiden bubble. :lol:

I think the most realistic one if they were to pick a band to open for them would be like Iced Earth since they are US based, but due to Schaeffer pretty much begging for that to happen, I doubt it will.

Right but Maiden dont need more fans. They will sell out a show almost anywhere. I think what people were trying to say is Maiden could pick an underground to open for them because Maiden likes them.

Yeah, I see your point, though I am still sure they somewhat depend on the opener to help sell tix (Lauren Harris NOT being a prime example obviously, but that tour was a no brainer, being billed as the SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME tour).

I agree it would be cool for Maiden to do that but they really are not concerned about helping out any scene, by any means.

Not to turn all MAIDEN VS PRIEST on everyone, but look what HALFORD did with the GODS OF METAL tour? That was Amon Amarth and Behemoth's first big US tours, and it obviously did them well......

Have things changed? I remember in the 80s, the big national acts would bring along a relatively unknown band and by opening for the bigger band they'd get exposure. Skid Row opened for Bon Jovi before anyone knew who Skid Row was. The only time I've seen the Scorpions live was on the Face the Heat tour, and they brought along an Australian band called The Poor.

Are things different because now the Scorpions are deemed a nostalgia act? Plus, I'd be interested in comparing record sales for Ratt's last album vs. Edguy's.

Oh I know. That's why I said at the end that it will never happen. Maiden is about the hardest band to open for as their fans are very finicky and live within the Maiden bubble.

When I saw Maiden live they had Fear Factory. Jeez what a waste of time.

Yeah, I see your point, though I am still sure they somewhat depend on the opener to help sell tix (Lauren Harris NOT being a prime example obviously, but that tour was a no brainer, being billed as the SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME tour).

I agree it would be cool for Maiden to do that but they really are not concerned about helping out any scene, by any means.

Not to turn all MAIDEN VS PRIEST on everyone, but look what HALFORD did with the GODS OF METAL tour? That was Amon Amarth and Behemoth's first big US tours, and it obviously did them well......

Gods of Metal tour? What is this you speak of?

I think it was called GODS OF METAL or METAL GODS, can't remember.

It was:
HALFORD
TESTAMENT
IMMORTAL
PRIMAL FEAR
AMON AMARTH
BEHEMOTH

and a ton more I can't remember.

I was VERY ticked because I walked into the HOB as Ralf Sheepers said, "Good night Chicago"!

Have things changed? I remember in the 80s, the big national acts would bring along a relatively unknown band and by opening for the bigger band they'd get exposure. Skid Row opened for Bon Jovi before anyone knew who Skid Row was. The only time I've seen the Scorpions live was on the Face the Heat tour, and they brought along an Australian band called The Poor.

Oh come on now...

Skid Row were on a major label when they opened for Bon Jovi, and while they were not as known as they later became, Youth Gone Wild was on pretty solid rotation on MTV.

I don't know the Poor. Were they on a major label? If so, the label probably purchased the buy on.

Nuclear Blast most likely would not pay the buy on for EDGUY to tour the States. I certainly do not know this for fact, just guessing.

you really think that 3 shows put Behemoth and Amon Amarth on the map? wow. That tour only lasted a few days before it was over, remember?

I'd rather see Ratt than Edguy--if only because Edguy comes around with a US tour almost every year and I have seen them a bunch of times in the last few years. I haven't seen Ratt at all--and I love Ratt (and I love Edguy). I do agree that Iron Maiden, Priest, etc., could and should bring in European opening bands that have the following overseas but can't/haven't broken the US. I wouldn't even go to the bands like Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray as, while not "big" in the States, they are big in our genre and do have a name for themselves to a cetan degree over here. I would like to see the big draw bands bring bands like we see at PPUSA as openers--bands with a reputation but who can't and don't tour the States even as openers for bigger bands. Probably never happen, but w can dream....

It was:
HALFORD
TESTAMENT
IMMORTAL
PRIMAL FEAR
AMON AMARTH
BEHEMOTH

I was VERY ticked because I walked into the HOB as Ralf Sheepers said, "Good night Chicago"!

Time machine requested. :lol: That's some rocking lineup. Halford has been known from time and time again to praise up and coming metal bands. Then again, so has Dickinson but I think Halford has been more outspoken in terms of getting it out.

It was:
HALFORD
TESTAMENT
IMMORTAL
PRIMAL FEAR
AMON AMARTH
BEHEMOTH

also....Behemoth was only going to play a few dates on the tour till Amon Amarth got there...which was like 3 or 4 of the first few dates.

Carnal Forge and Painmuseum were the other 2 bands on the tour.