Seriously ... what the fuck is djent?!?

Speaking of dinosaurs, has anyone tried the Line 6 genesis? A friend of mine has one, and I'm wondering if the sounds onboard are usuable for anything.

^POD 1.0?
Man, you only find those things in museums now.

Like I said, the particular model Drop uses (the old recto) is in the model list on the X3. The POD 1.0 chip is also what is in the Pocket POD Pro as well which is still available. :Spin:

Speaking of dinosaurs, has anyone tried the Line 6 genesis? A friend of mine has one, and I'm wondering if the sounds onboard are usuable for anything.

Does this even exist?
A google search returns no results on it :lol:
Oldest product I know from Line 6 is the AxSys from 1996.
It wasn't really until the POD XT came that Line 6 modeling really sounded usable for recording.
Everything before that was really only good for bedroom practice/jamming with some friends.

Like I said, the particular model Drop uses (the old recto) is in the model list on the X3. The POD 1.0 chip is also what is in the Pocket POD Pro as well which is still available. :Spin:

The Line 6 Treadplate model eh?
Can't say I fancy it anywhere near as Cali Diamond Plate haha.

The Line 6 Treadplate model eh?
Can't say I fancy it anywhere near as Cali Diamond Plate haha.

Yup. The old ones didn't even really belt out a lot of gain. Drop's sound is pretty dark and dense out of context.

Also, Digitech made the Genesis 1, not Line 6. It was a similar shade of red so I could see how one would be confused.

Guessing the Genesis is probably about 10 years old.
If so, then probably not gonna have good sounds.

I think The Acacia Strain is pretty Djent.
Some tracks are relly 'Suggahish.
I think its in the open strings and the bendings, aswell as making em fucked up rythms which no one can follow.

I love how in Mesh's Combustion the snare gets changed from a upbeat to a downbeat at one time :D

Now maybe I don't know the proper definition of djent, but this sounds pretty djenty to me(djentness kicks in @0:53) I thought it was near impossible to get djenty tone with a 5150 and a 6 pounder? Anyone know what tuning he's in? It's an MTM so B or lower i presume. And one more thing, how do you pronounce djent? Is it de'jent or de'yent?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now maybe I don't know the proper definition of djent, but this sounds pretty djenty to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFqtktdG1s. I thought it was near impossible to get djenty tone with a 5150 and a 6 pounder? Anyone know what tuning he's in? It's an MTM so B or lower i presume. And one more thing, how do you pronounce djent? Is it de'jent or de'yent?

Djent is pronounced "Djent", if that helps.

(lol, one syllable)

Think (Gent)lemen.

So its pronounced "gent" and the D is silent? Or is it duh-gent, cause thats 2 syllables. WTFo_O

Do you have to make it so hard? :tickled:

Okay, let me break it down. The D is not silent, but is combined with the J in the sense of them being a more percussive consonant sound. "DJ" is one syllable. It really is pronounced like "Gent", with just a hair more inflection. Think of a staccato guitar chord. Djent Djent Djent, you get it?

Repeat after me. ONE SYLLABLE.

DJENT.

Now maybe I don't know the proper definition of djent, but this sounds pretty djenty to me(djentness kicks in @0:53) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFqtktdG1s I thought it was near impossible to get djenty tone with a 5150 and a 6 pounder? Anyone know what tuning he's in? It's an MTM so B or lower i presume. And one more thing, how do you pronounce djent? Is it de'jent or de'yent?

Okay, so apparently now Feared has "djent/djentynes" in it.
I've know seen everything.

Okay, so apparently now Feared has "djent/djentynes" in it.
I've know seen everything.

I still have NO idea what Djent is. This entire thread is people posting clips and suggesting bands with djent in them, followed by more people going 'what?! That's not djent at all'.

The only conclusive difference is in TheDude's clip, but even that is almost impossible to tell when the guitar/amp/cab/player is different and crammed into a mix.

I still have NO idea what Djent is. This entire thread is people posting clips and suggesting bands with djent in them, followed by more people going 'what?! That's not djent at all'.

The only conclusive difference is in TheDude's clip, but even that is almost impossible to tell when the guitar/amp/cab/player is different and crammed into a mix.

Djent is one of those words that seems to have a definition that is as defined as the biceps on a 190kg guy that works out.
No one can fucking agree on it.
I'd rather just call Periphery a progressive mathcore band and Meshuggah just a tech metal band.
That makes much more sense than "Djent" to me.

I like to think of Djent and a spice that is in a lot of metal dishes lately. Your progressive mathcore might have some Djent in it, just like your lasagna might have some sweet basil marinara in it. It might have a lot of sweet basil marinara. I fuckin LOVE sweet basil marinara. Djentiness be damned, if it's Djenty, it's Djenty.

A guy texted me last night about an amp I was selling on craigslist. He asked if I ever played any "gent". I immediately burst out in laughter. He also wanted to know if I needed a quaker or a skinner, WTF?