SEVEN STRING GUITAR RECOMMENDATIONS!!!

Jan 10, 2005
Ok, I need a seven-string guitar for heavy Meshuggah style stuff. Decapitated style stuff, all kinds of heavy crap. So far I've played custom USA Jacksons, Schecter, Ibanez, ESP, LTD, and a couple of other companies. So far the Schecter BlackJack C7 has prevailed over all for me, beleive it or not. Best with the best options. It also played and sounded great, not that thats important or anything :p. I was wondering if you guys had some other recommendations. Price really isn't a big deal. I'm not looking for custom made stuff, and chances are that if you recommend Jackson or Ibanez, one of my friends has the model you are going to recommend.

I've played RG's, the Universe and the cheap-o AX seven string from Ibanez. Custom shop USA Jackson Soloist 7-strings. A custom shop ESP Explorer bodied 7 string, as well as the Eclipse model. Like I said, so far the Schecter has been the best over everything for me. But again, I want more ideas. So throw them in. Yep.

~006

I´m suspicious ‘cause I’ve got 5 Ibanez!!!! And 2 of them are 7 strings.
I have an RG 7620, and Rg1077 xl baritone.
Did you ever try the Rg 1077 xl? I bought it new last year but I think this guitar was made in 2001/2002. I putted 2 dimarzio’s (Universe 7 - bridge and Blazze II - neck) and it sounds great!! :headbang:

I have an Ibanez RG2027XVV (Prestige... yeah baby) with piezzo pickups in the floyd. And this guitar is just AWESOME ! The mics have been changed for DiMarzio Evolution 7 & Blaze pickups. Everybody that has touched it (including guitar sellers or guitar craftmen) were amazed at how nice it is to play on it, very comfortable. The only guitar people say was best was the high end Vigier Excalibur, but it has "only" 6 strings. But I think Ibanez discontinued this model actually...

I played a Universe a while ago. Felt really uncomfortable for my fretting hand, and I'm sure it's not just because of the enlarged neck of a 7-string... Ibanez necks in general just don't agree with me, ergonomically.

I play a Universe uv777 and it´s the best 7 string guitar i have ever tried. As much as i love you´re productions Andy i will have to disagree with you on this subject, what do you have against Ibanez guitars and which would you prefer?

Ivebeenhad's as they're commonly known, I'm fuckin with you guys. I've always found you either love or hate Ibanez's, theres nothing wrong with them,I just I grew up playing a more manly Gibson, so I didn't need a seventh string to be heavy. I find the necks too thin, even compared to Jacksons but it's what you get use to. We may have to get onto the subject of strap length in a minute..... :D

MR NINE said:
He's trying to have a deal with Ibanez! :tickled:
Hey Portvic! Take a pic. with all the axes and send it to the dudes at Ibanez!!!
Who knows?!?!
:Spin:

Yah...nice!! What a great ideia. :hotjump:
I might do that!!! :loco:

Oops, I forgot to mention in my first post that I actually owned a Universe 2 years ago, and I had for about 5 months and still couldn't get what I wanted out of it. Of course at the time I wasn't into any of the stuff that I am into now, so now I'm kicking myself for selling it, wishing I had it now so that I could experiment with it again...oh well...

I really don't want anything with a Floyd, I'm pretty much done with Floyds, heh. Tune-O-Matic or generic fixed bridge for me please! Better sustain and low-end anyway. <--don't argue with that, 'cause it's true!

I also found another Schecter model called the Hellraiser C7, and it comes standard with two EMG 707's. I went to the local shop today and they said they would have to order it, but I would have to put down half of the price as "insurance" or whatever. So $320 just to get it in the store to play it...might just do it. Heh. Any other suggestions?

~006

I've been killing my ESP, so, everytime I pick up something non-custom shop ESP anymore... I dont generally like it... BUT, I will say Carvin's 7 string is a pretty fuckin good axe to tear up the shit on, so buy one of those.

J

Surely its not amount of strings or the tuning you use that determines how heavy your sound is, its the shape of your guitar. An SG is heavier than a tele beacause of the shape. A bc rich bitch is heavier still especially in black although the same model in pink is a bit more glammy. A Jackson Rhoads is heavier still,but to get the most evil tone ever its obviosly the ESP devils girl. Tell em im wrong?

Schecter definitely, even better if you can find one of the older neck-through models. I don't know if they discontinued the neck-through 7 strings or not, but they have superior upper-fret access which will be to your advantage if you are playing lots of lead and solos. So used or new Schecter neck-through 7 string, whatever the model name they use for it nowadays.

Yeah I played another Blackjack C7 and even the Blackjack C-1 (6 string model), and the playability was so similar that when I was going back and forth, the neck width for that 7th string was the last thing I noticed, heh. I really love set neck guitars, and neck-thru even more. My SL-1 (Jackson USA) is neck through, and I love the feel so much. I can't imagine any of my Gibson LP's with a bolt on, lol.

I don't really like the 007/006 body style. Although it would be cool to have the 006 or 007 on the truss rod cover, hehehehe...I did play a Carvin DC727 two weeks ago and it was very impressive, but reminded me a lot of the Universe that I owned. So that is out the door unfortunately. Schecter it is...now I just have to track down a Hellraiser C7 so I can get the EMGs. Yep.

~006