Small watt amps

HackerX

Feb 23, 2006
QLD,Australia
Ok, so my birthday is coming up, and I've decided what I really need is a half decent valve amp.

But all I need is a small bedroom/practice amp, so I'm looking at the low power range (of which there seems to be more and more coming out now)

Looking at something in the 5w - 20w range (though suggestions otherwise are welcome) so I don't have to push it so hard/loud the neighbours get pissed off.

The obvious answer is the Epiphone Jnr (head + cab), but I don't like the lack of tone controls.

I've love to get my hands on one of these:
http://www.blackhearteng.com/bh5h_bh112.html but the only company in Australia that seems to stock them doesn't have them in yet :(

So, what have others have people played with around this range? What combination amp & pedal wise are people happy with?

Obviously I'm looking for something that happily overdrives.

Any pro's & con's of the various amps etc etc...

Or am I just wasting my time with something so small? This is my first foray into valve amps so I'm open to all sorts of suggestions on different combinations.

Ok, so my birthday is coming up, and I've decided what I really need is a half decent valve amp.

But all I need is a small bedroom/practice amp, so I'm looking at the low power range (of which there seems to be more and more coming out now)

Looking at something in the 5w - 20w range (though suggestions otherwise are welcome) so I don't have to push it so hard/loud the neighbours get pissed off.

The obvious answer is the Epiphone Jnr (head + cab), but I don't like the lack of tone controls.

I've love to get my hands on one of these:
http://www.blackhearteng.com/bh5h_bh112.html but the only company in Australia that seems to stock them doesn't have them in yet :(

So, what have others have people played with around this range? What combination amp & pedal wise are people happy with?

Obviously I'm looking for something that happily overdrives.

Any pro's & con's of the various amps etc etc...

Or am I just wasting my time with something so small? This is my first foray into valve amps so I'm open to all sorts of suggestions on different combinations.

How much are you looking to spend?

Take a look at this. Even has an effects loop. There's an extended sound clip on the site.

http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116592/JSX(R) Mini Colossal.cfm

On Musician's Friend

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-JSX-Mini-Colossal-Guitar-Amp?sku=480777

Here's an interesting one from Krank. Guitar Player Magazine really liked it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-20W-HalfStack-Guitar-Amp?sku=481613

The less the better :p

I'd say no more than $1000AU, but as an example epi jnr head & cab go for $400AU, so something under $500AU would be ideal.

Does it have to be a Valve amp to begin with since you're stating you just want a bedroom amp? When it comes to small (15watt) amps I really like the Line6 Spider III version, I have one myself and for what it is it's a great little unit, 4 channels running 2 effects at a time, the ability to play along with external audio device (mp3, cd player). Tones themselves are at best good for jamming along to tracks or just practicing, but the effects are the weakest feature to it, you have like 8 to choose from but can only use 2 at a time. However you might be past that "phase" guitarists go thru of "gotta have all the effects in the world running thru my tone".
Now this all comes from a guy who has serious Tube gear, but if its just practicing in your room, give the spiderIII 15w a shot.

Does it have to be a Valve amp to begin with since you're stating you just want a bedroom amp? When it comes to small (15watt) amps I really like the Line6 Spider III version, I have one myself and for what it is it's a great little unit, 4 channels running 2 effects at a time, the ability to play along with external audio device (mp3, cd player). Tones themselves are at best good for jamming along to tracks or just practicing, but the effects are the weakest feature to it, you have like 8 to choose from but can only use 2 at a time. However you might be past that "phase" guitarists go thru of "gotta have all the effects in the world running thru my tone".
Now this all comes from a guy who has serious Tube gear, but if its just practicing in your room, give the spiderIII 15w a shot.

Man...I can't stand the Line 6 stuff...some people really like it...I don't get it.

I think you'll really need to crank the Epi Jr. for any decent tone...that thing is more of a novelty.

Absolutely, full tube for this one. I have a pretty decent modelling amp, and it's not what I'm looking for.

Well seeing that you want a tube amp for lower volume playing, that kind of defeats the purpose of having a tube amp, to get that tube tone they have to be driven loud, especially for overdrive tones. Since you say you already have a amp modeller why can't that be the bedroom amp? I would think about getting a good tube that you can both gig and record with, and if you bother neihbors with it then do what I did, get a Randall Isolation cab, its what I use to record my Tube amps (Triaxis w/20/20 poweramp and a HK Triamp mkII), just my thoughts....

The whole point of getting a low watt amp is so that I can drive it without the overall volume being overly loud.

And I don't want to spend the money of a larger amp/cab set just to have to buy a power attenuator or another device to cut the volume, because to me that's just throwing away $2000-$3000+ on something I won't be using to it's full potential anytime soon.

The Mini Colossal seems a little out of my price range from what I can see online ($1195AU is the best I've seen it) but I may look at some other peavey amps (was watching some of the clips).

Keep the suggestions coming.

Well seeing that you want a tube amp for lower volume playing, that kind of defeats the purpose of having a tube amp, to get that tube tone they have to be driven loud, especially for overdrive tones. Since you say you already have a amp modeller why can't that be the bedroom amp? I would think about getting a good tube that you can both gig and record with, and if you bother neihbors with it then do what I did, get a Randall Isolation cab, its what I use to record my Tube amps (Triaxis w/20/20 poweramp and a HK Triamp mkII), just my thoughts....

This I totally agree with. Those little amps are alot of money and what for? Less than that will get you a POD XT and excellent set of headphones... then your set right up for recording. I practice through an X box & phones when others are home and when they are not I can go play through real amplifiers.

I have heard a varity of music recorded on a POD that never even reached the air and the sound is phenominal. The guitar player that did the recordings has been a semi professional for a few decades and has an excellent home studio but I simply couldnt believe the quality of the guitar sounds.

how about an Orange Tiny Terror? I don't know what they go for new in AUS, but you should be able to find a used one and a decent cab and stick to your budget.

how about an Orange Tiny Terror? I don't know what they go for new in AUS, but you should be able to find a used one and a decent cab and stick to your budget.

Thanks for reminding me about these. I'll definately look into it.

I'm thinking one of these into a 2x12" cab would be perfect for what I'm looking for (Assuming the sound agree's with me). The 7w/15w switch sounds like a good idea too.

Probably blow my budget a little (if buying new), but I'd rather go with a head like this and be a little more versatile over the small combo like the JSX.

They're pretty great amps. I've been thinking of picking one up myself for practice and small gigs/rehearsals. They aren't the most flexible amps in the world, but they get the job done, they're easy to tote around, they're rock solid, and they sound pretty great for what they are. Search around youtube, there are plenty of video demos of them, though the youtube audio isn't exactly the best way to judge the tone of an amp. I give them a definite thumbs up.