so called tr00ness

I personally wear a lot of bracelets, necklaces and have a lot of piercings. I wear band shirts and generally black jeans or otherk inds of pants... I do not invest in my apperance, but I do like the way I dress because I feel it suits me. I think that if someone knows a lot about a band, and others want to know, then cool, share the knowledge. But simply because one knows more baout a band and what they shit out on Wednesdays, it does not make them any more legitimate of a fan

I'm tr00, kvlt, and grim.:) But really, I just don't like any maistream music because it simply doesn't appeal to me, and I happen to listen to a lot of obscure death metal bands because they happen to be really good and talented. As for dressing like a metalhead, I don't really do that. I have short hair and I hardly have any band shirts. Jeans or kakhis and a normal shirt is what I like to wear most.

Violet Baudelaire said:
well ive got nothing against band tshirts, its just the whole... elaborateness of some people's outfits, you know, the kind of person you look at and KNOW they invested on thei appearance to prove something. ah well.
Exactly! 3 chains of various lengths, 4 spiked bracelets with 3 inch long spikes, a massive studbelt and pants that would fit a gorilla (also covered with studs and bondege straps with spikes)....Its pathetic. (this is just a mall goth example, other walks of life do this as well) ;)

It's like putting up a sign to other metalheads.
Long hair, band shirt, and jeans. It lets everyone know what you're about right off that bat, nothign wrong with that. It's also a way of showing dedication to the music and the scene. If you don't do it, you don't care enough.

ok, the above statement is exactly what i detest, thank you for providing such a good example... no, but surely your comment must be a joke :)

i want people to get to know me for who i am, not for what i listen to. i am much more than what i listen to, and despite me loving the genre, i dont feel that if i do not dress a certain way, it means i am not "dedicated" or "care" enough. yes, i like metal, and yes, i like meeting people who like the same music i like, thats why i am here in this forum. but i dont think i have to prove how metal i am 100% of the time.

xenophobe said:
I think it's fucking hillarious. But, this isn't just limited to the metal crowd... I think it's just vanity in youth, cause the gangster rappers have to pretend they're so tough, and the goth have to pretend they're so disturbed and victimized. Black metal worshipers seem like they have to try to be as grim and necro as possible, but most thrash and death metal listeners don't seem to be as much like this than the rest, though there are always exceptions... When I was younger, sure, I was mr metalhead, and thought some metal was lame and only praised what I loved, but I've never been one to say or really try to make it seem like "my music is better than your music" thing that I see so much.

As for clothing, very rarely do I wear band shirts in public, only sometimes on days I don't work, though I do wear less inconspicous clothing, like my Nile hoodie, or my Dragonlord one whenever it manages its way here. I generally only wear metal shirts when I'm going to practice or to a show.
Its true. Kids go through phases, like white suburban kids driving around annoying honda civics with loud tailpipes to starbucks parking lots to talk like rappers to each other, and all the above mentioned other little cliques that develop among teenagers who all are convinced they are just trying to be themselves while they are trying to fit in with someone or prove themselves to whatever social group they've chosen. Its pretty annoying and embarassing to be around to me, having outgrown such silliness long ago, which is why I don't go to many shows. I go to progpower because it has been a much more mature crowd.. And by the way, a genre of music (and I think they're all guilty of this, really) with as much copycatting and bandwagoning/fanbands as metal and its subdivisions can hardly be too about 'just being yourself'. Its music, people. :D

Mtaclof said:
Long hair, band shirt, and jeans. It lets everyone know what you're about right off that bat, nothign wrong with that. It's also a way of showing dedication to the music and the scene. If you don't do it, you don't care enough.
It's true, though, you know...I really don't care.

Mtaclof said:

He's probably kidding

what I dont understand, I´ve seen this many times in the metal scean, why is it so fucking important to compare musicians? ohhhh he is better then him, fastest guitarist, best this and best that, biggest hair, shortest legs, tightest pants :puke: it´s like....if the music is good, is it important that their basist is the fastest one? :lol:
I´ve never seen this amoungst Jazzheads though, they dont compare, instead they comment postive for "all" muscians, this guy was a great song writer, that guy played piano with one hand and did that great!! that guy did great solos etc etc
oh well *goes and fetches yoggi*

ante said:
what I dont understand, I´ve seen this many times in the metal scean, why is it so fucking important to compare musicians? ohhhh he is better then him, fastest guitarist, best this and best that, biggest hair, shortest legs, tightest pants :puke:
Opeth's former drummer was great :p

Violet Baudelaire said:
ok, the above statement is exactly what i detest, thank you for providing such a good example... no, but surely your comment must be a joke :)

I don't see why that statement in particular would bug you... it's not that kind of attutide you mentioned in your first post, he just said that he likes to wear metal shirts and show dedication to the scene. If you feel like having long hair, wearing metal shirts and jeans freely showing that you're into metal, it's not a big deal to me...

It's the people that get too wrapped up in the "metal image" that bug me... you know, the ones they have to try to prove the point that they're more metal, more tr00, more underground, more informed, wearing the most metal clothes, and hold it as some kind of pretentious banner over everyone's heads. I think there's a BIG difference between dressing metal and being an Elitist Metalhead. I don't think you can really discern that visually though. :p

I'm agreeing.
I can't stand elitests, having to dress right to be into metal and such.
I dress in jeans and a normal shirt and jacket, like someone casually in the street would wear, I like Slipknot, they are apparently two big no-no's if I want to be respected in any way by a Metaller. I think it's great though. I constantly make references to Slipknot on this forum and it annoys people who read it. I'm not going to change the way I dress to satisfy people in my area who listen to metal.

Thing is, it's also hypocrisy, both nu-metal kids and metallers (Weither they like mainsteam and underground, local only, underground only, etc) hate anyone trendy, and the way they put down anyone who listens to any sort of rock or metal, but they do the exact same back.

I don't want to grow my hair, wear tight a tight leather jacket and a faded band tshirt that no one has heard off just to show I'm metal. I'm myself and no one else ;).

I get a lot of odd looks for liking mainsteam bands and underground bands, AND bands that "sell out". I also get odd looks because I don't believe in the word sellout, like the new Metallica, and have only been into metal for about 2 years.

I was even called a conformist a while back by someone, but I'm not the one trying to fit into a group of people, we are all conformists to something.

xenophobe said:
I don't see why that statement in particular would bug you... it's not that kind of attutide you mentioned in your first post, he just said that he likes to wear metal shirts and show dedication to the scene. If you feel like having long hair, wearing metal shirts and jeans freely showing that you're into metal, it's not a big deal to me...

It's the people that get too wrapped up in the "metal image" that bug me... you know, the ones they have to try to prove the point that they're more metal, more tr00, more underground, more informed, wearing the most metal clothes, and hold it as some kind of pretentious banner over everyone's heads. I think there's a BIG difference between dressing metal and being an Elitist Metalhead. I don't think you can really discern that visually though. :p

At the very end of the statement, I believe what made it a detestable one was:

Mtaclof said:
It's also a way of showing dedication to the music and the scene. If you don't do it, you don't care enough.

I would agree that that statement is pure idicoy at it's finest.

xenophobe said:
I don't see why that statement in particular would bug you... it's not that kind of attutide you mentioned in your first post, he just said that he likes to wear metal shirts and show dedication to the scene.
Well, maybe I didnt mention that in my first post but I think its related. what mainly bugged me about that statement was the "It's also a way of showing dedication to the music and the scene. If you don't do it, you don't care enough." How can you measure how much someone cares or feels about the music by the way they dress? what if the look doesnt suit me? what if i live in a really hot weather in which its not practical to dress that way? etc.

but I agree with the rest of your post

Violet, I think what the dude was getting at is this. By dressing metal you basically scare away alot of people who are bias to the look. The look does alienate you from alot of people. If you are willing to outcast yourself by doing it, it shows dedication to the scene. People will talk to me anyway, regardless of what I wear, so thats never affected me.

I don't agree with it, but people have said that reasoning to me before. For the record, I do dress metal, but more like an aussie metalhead than the leather and spikes. It's comfortable and suits my lifestyle and climate. I probably wouldn't if I lived in mexico because I'd die of heat exhaustion.

Koichi said:
Violet, I think what the dude was getting at is this. By dressing metal you basically scare away alot of people who are bias to the look. The look does alienate you from alot of people. If you are willing to outcast yourself by doing it, it shows dedication to the scene. People will talk to me anyway, regardless of what I wear, so thats never affected me.

I don't agree with it, but people have said that reasoning to me before. For the record, I do dress metal, but more like an aussie metalhead than the leather and spikes. It's comfortable and suits my lifestyle and climate. I probably wouldn't if I lived in mexico because I'd die of heat exhaustion.

Yet, do you really think that in this day and age ANYONE really cares? A lot of people actually find it quite normal, and even attractive. We are no longer living in a time where it means very much to people, simply because it is done so much nowadays. Simply because you use music as a way to alienate yourself does not make you any more deicated to a scene. Do you think rappers dress with sagged pants, gold plated teeth and afros because they are dedicate to the music? Unlikely. For many people it simply fits their styles. While I DO see your point, i'm more inclined to think of it on a less grand scale due to the nature of people in the 21st century.