So I'm thinknig about buy a Fractal Audio Axe-FX...

Go To metal amp, my ass. When people think of a high gain metal amp they think of recto's or peavey 6505 or in my case Bogner. I'm stating my opinion i'm not preaching it to people constantly and insisting that I have a screw loose which you seem to be claiming i do.

Im going to take the SC approach to this and say ...

12159ff783312ea330599eeb3bf217e2.jpg

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/...an-Connery-The-Rock-movie-John-Patrick-Mason-

Oh and judging by your taste in bands your on the wrong forum. Go back to ss.org

(From his MySpace)
SikTh, Meshuggah, Ion Dissonance, Between The Buried And Me, Protest The Hero, Converge, Sigur Ros, Bon Iver, Andy Mckee, The Flashbulb, Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, Cult Of Luna, Burial, The Mars Volta, Isis, Fantomas, Borgore, Periphery, Bulb, ThisWillDestroyYou, Cynic, Deftones.

Seen Megadeth again last weekend @ Sonisphere in Cz and they had by far the best guitar sound out of the bunch with their AxeFX/Marshall power amp/cab rigs. VERY impressive.

Oh and judging by your taste in bands your on the wrong forum. Go back to ss.org

(From his MySpace)
SikTh, Meshuggah, Ion Dissonance, Between The Buried And Me, Protest The Hero, Converge, Sigur Ros, Bon Iver, Andy Mckee, The Flashbulb, Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, Cult Of Luna, Burial, The Mars Volta, Isis, Fantomas, Borgore, Periphery, Bulb, ThisWillDestroyYou, Cynic, Deftones.

I love a bunch of those bands, but many of them could have WAY better sounding albums. And with Sneap albums for example, there are a number of them where I don't really like the music all that much, but I still hold the mix/guitar tones/etc. to a very high degree.

I don't know why so many people have trouble separating their musical preferences with production/gear/sound quality. It's like they HAVE to like the gear/mixes of the bands they're into instead of judging the sound quality from an objective (relatively, anyways) standpoint.

For example, I think that bands like Periphery/After The Burial/Veil of Maya (all of which I like) could easily work really well with a Sneap style 5150 modern metal mix... but most of the people into that stuff are too caught up on axe-fx this, superior drummer that, meshuggah this, djent that, blah blah blah.

Basically, the point is nobody is going to convince anyone here that gear we all know is used on excellent sounding albums all the time is bad gear. I think most of the Sneap forum is smarter than that. It's all has to do with the person using the gear and the ENTIRE signal chain (tubescreamer, amp, ESPECIALLY the cab)... If pros are out there getting great results with this stuff, anybody can... it just takes the proper gear and time spent learning.

Could we please talk about the f'ing axe-fx instead of the EVH? I know there have been other threads but I'm pretty curious about this as well. I'd also be curious to hear some high gain tones that aren't meshuggah-esque. From the samples I've head I'm most impressed with it as an effects unit rather than an amp sim.

Exivious may not use "high gain" tones but at least it's not meshuggah-esque :)

http://www.myspace.com/exivious

The only band I've seen using it live so far has been Periphery and I thought it sounded great.

I saw Megadeth live and Chris's tone was great! As far as I know it was Axe-Fx, rumor has it that Dino from Fear Factory is using one too, and his tome live was HUGE!

Its all bout picking the right power amp. Put a nice solid tube power amp after it like a Mesa Simul or the Marshall 100/100 and your golden. If it can fool me Mr. I LOVE TUBES. It can fool just about anyone ...lol

Im going to take the SC approach to this and say ...

12159ff783312ea330599eeb3bf217e2.jpg

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/...an-Connery-The-Rock-movie-John-Patrick-Mason-

(From his MySpace)

Wow, your argument amounts to the level of faeces that floats on my toilet after a curry.

FYI moron, I became a part of this community before I even knew about ss.org. Don't fucking touch my music taste again, all of about 5 are djent influenced so I don't know where your argument for ss.org hangs. Stop sucking up every mods arse because they don't agree with me so that you can gain brownie points. I am not a 'n00b'. Getting this wound up about somebody else on this forum having a different opinion that isn't in line with the majority or mainstream sounds like you and is a bit more 'ss.org' if you ask me. If you even looked at my posts you'd realize that I try to help the 'n00bs' on this forum just as much as some of the other more experienced members on here rather than slanting/instantly branding their work as 'djentz shitz omg pis off' and avoid one-line bullshit counter-productive criticism. I appreciate what you are saying about the sneap mixes, I agree..to me those mixes sound 'fuller' but sometimes that's not what you need with certain types of music. Djenty tones like the ones from the axe-fx lack the sag that you get from playing through an amp like a recto, which gives a different feel to more agile rhythm playing. That's the way I see it.

The guitar tone on 'Death of a Dead day' still remains one of my favourite recorded tones of all time.

Continue this if you want but I don't think it's fair on SimonSez. If he want's to know more about the Axe-Fx he can PM me. But I am done getting flamed over an amp I hated playing through.

I think its fun to read people discussion and comparing amps and simulations they don't own, mainly based on namedropping.
I invested alot of time into soundfinding in the axefx before I found out, that a simple signal chain: Stompbox -> Amp -> 1 or 2 IRs with different Mics works best FOR ME (currently using VH4 and 5150 into Recabinet Ghandi Box one with SM57 one with U87). I don't have the money (and I don't want to spend that much) to buy every Amp I like to test, to buy every FX Unit and every Stompbox I would like to hear in my chain and I don't have the room to use the real thing. FOR ME, the AxeFX stopped my G.A.S. in a single day. Every other device I used for Guitar (Stompboxes, FX, Amp) was replaced by the 2HE. Is it the maximum possible for Guitar-Tone? Surely not, because I am not that great in playing and I am sure someone like Lasse has those fingers to get some magic out of the amp/cab/mic/room combination, but I am damn near, to what I am searching for years. I am only using this at home, so I have no Idea how it sounds live, but after carrying the stack of my guitarplayer last weekend, I would choose those 2HE over those few % to the real thing ;-P

Some mentioned the controlling and tweeking of the unit. Sure, you have hundrets of parameters you can adjust, but to be honest: I don't have a clue what most of those do and I never touched them, and I don't miss them. Those parameters is for those who soldered and modded their Boxes and Amps. We could diskuss what is more time- and knowledgeintensive ;) After you got used to the UI (that isn't that bad. More complicated than a 3knop-Amp, less complicated than my POD x3) setting up "your amp" is fast. Choose a Stompbox, choose an Amp, choose a Cab, tune the EQ and Gain of the Amp, done. That is done in a few seconds. After that, the finetuning starts. Finetuning is something you can spend years in, no matter if you are using sims or the real thing. If you want your sim to be that plug and play, to sound instantly as good as a recorded Guitar of your favorite Producer, this (well, and any other device, from sims to tubeamps) is not the correct device four you :p For me plug and play is, that it needs under a minute to get the device running (Connecting 2 SPDif Cables, Power and the Guitar).

I would buy the AxeFX again, but I know some, that like it (as I like their amps) but won't switch.

I saw Megadeth live and Chris's tone was great! As far as I know it was Axe-Fx, rumor has it that Dino from Fear Factory is using one too, and his tome live was HUGE!

Its all bout picking the right power amp. Put a nice solid tube power amp after it like a Mesa Simul or the Marshall 100/100 and your golden. If it can fool me Mr. I LOVE TUBES. It can fool just about anyone ...lol

You don't need a tube power amp at all, but if you do, you'll get that "double tube power amp" fatness that pretty much piss on any amp. ;)

I think the internet battle champion hats need to come off.

It's like winning the special olympics...

+100 but I don't think it'll end in a couple of centuries. As soon as the axe-FX/tooobz fight is over, the next one starts. Humanity needs to argue.

Some mentioned the controlling and tweeking of the unit. Sure, you have hundrets of parameters you can adjust, but to be honest: I don't have a clue what most of those do and I never touched them, and I don't miss them. Those parameters is for those who soldered and modded their Boxes and Amps. We could diskuss what is more time- and knowledgeintensive ;) After you got used to the UI (that isn't that bad. More complicated than a 3knop-Amp, less complicated than my POD x3) setting up "your amp" is fast. Choose a Stompbox, choose an Amp, choose a Cab, tune the EQ and Gain of the Amp, done. That is done in a few seconds. After that, the finetuning starts. Finetuning is something you can spend years in, no matter if you are using sims or the real thing. If you want your sim to be that plug and play, to sound instantly as good as a recorded Guitar of your favorite Producer, this (well, and any other device, from sims to tubeamps) is not the correct device four you :p For me plug and play is, that it needs under a minute to get the device running (Connecting 2 SPDif Cables, Power and the Guitar)..

Well written.

You wrote what I always want to write, but never managed to control myself long enough so i always delete and give up. ;)

snacks.gif

Carry on. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Until the CPU overloads. All FX does use different amounts of CPU (Amp 25%, Reverb 10%, Filter 2%), so there's no rule. the theoretical amount is 32 though. ;)

It also makes a difference, if you use the normal or the ultra, as the ultra has more CPU Power.

On the standard i've had:

filter, 2 amps,2 cabs,reverb,PEQ,filter and that was the maximum I could run without the CPU announcing overload. I would have went for the Ultra if I had the cash.

That's one thing I have been curious about myself. If I were to get into the AxeFX Standard, what would I be missing out on/not be able to do? If it's just CPU power and I hardly ever use any kind of effects (maybe things for lead tones but typically I run those things in post as an insert and not in the loop of the amp/in front of it) I imagine I could get by with the Standard.