So my little girl said something cool while listening to Opeth...

Great stories guys. I've also been known to proselytize ...
But I have to say, I think it's contradictory to systematically diss hip-hop and then preach musical open-mindedness. There is remarkable hip-hop as there is awful metal music - and in my personal opinion, over the last twenty last years, there has been more good hip-hop than metal -, it's just a question of being exposed to the good stuff. And as in metal, good rap is rather underground and that's especially true nowadays. Anyway, my point is we don't want to become like Tool fans ... lol

My 3 year old son is a seasoned Opeth fan. Just about every day when I get home from work, he asks, "I wanna watch Mike" or "I wanna watch opef". I think it's the cutest thing in the world. When he sat on Santa's lap this past Christmas he told him all he wanted was trucks, tractors, and an Opeth t-shirt. I scoured the internet for a kids size t but had no luck. So I took my wife's babydoll t and cut the sleeves off and wrapped it up for him. We had one happy toddler on our hands.

But I have to say, I think it's contradictory to systematically diss hip-hop and then preach musical open-mindedness. There is remarkable hip-hop as there is awful metal music - and in my personal opinion, over the last twenty last years, there has been more good hip-hop than metal -, it's just a question of being exposed to the good stuff. And as in metal, good rap is rather underground and that's especially true nowadays. Anyway, my point is we don't want to become like Tool fans ... lol

This reminds me, I was listening to the local college radio station one night and a strange rap song came on where a guy with a twangy, rediculously caucasian voice rapped about ancient cultures and occasionally screamed about Jesus' non-existence and how he is pegged as a Satanist for his freethought. Anybody have any idea what this could have been?

This reminds me, I was listening to the local college radio station one night and a strange rap song came on where a guy with a twangy, rediculously caucasian voice rapped about ancient cultures and occasionally screamed about Jesus' non-existence and how he is pegged as a Satanist for his freethought. Anybody have any idea what this could have been?

It might have been Del the Funky Homosapien, he is not white but he does have a "twangy caucasian" voice, haha. He also has some odd subject matter sometimes...

My 3 year old son is a seasoned Opeth fan. Just about every day when I get home from work, he asks, "I wanna watch Mike" or "I wanna watch opef". I think it's the cutest thing in the world. When he sat on Santa's lap this past Christmas he told him all he wanted was trucks, tractors, and an Opeth t-shirt.

Hahaha, that is cool. Although some might see this as a bad omen :zombie:

Not actually. :err:

On the subject of open-mindedness, I'm not playing just Opeth to my daughter, but all kinds of good music... And although children may start to reject the music their parents listen in their early teens, I believe that if they have a musical taste, they will eventually return to it someday.

This is true

My 3 year old son is a seasoned Opeth fan. Just about every day when I get home from work, he asks, "I wanna watch Mike" or "I wanna watch opef". I think it's the cutest thing in the world. When he sat on Santa's lap this past Christmas he told him all he wanted was trucks, tractors, and an Opeth t-shirt. I scoured the internet for a kids size t but had no luck. So I took my wife's babydoll t and cut the sleeves off and wrapped it up for him. We had one happy toddler on our hands.

My wife and I were just wondering the other night if there are any kid-sized Opeth shirts. Maybe I'll have to do what you guys did.

Last night, while my wife and I were watching TV, we heard our 2 year old talking up in her crib. It was waaaaay past her bedtime, and she wasn't crying. I was curious as to what she was saying, so I turned on the baby monitor, and this is what I hear: "Play peenano? Play guitar? Yeah! Listen to Opef? I LIKE Opef! Yeah!" I nearly died laughing. My wife responded by saying, "There's something wrong with the two of you..."

Good point. There is some hip hop that's decent, to be sure. I'm not a fan, but I can appreciate it. I even engineered/produced some hip hop in the studio I ran in college, and it was fun. (That's actually a good story...)

My issue is that, at least in the US, hip hop is pretty mainstream, and its ideals are not necessarily in line with the ideals that I'd like to instill in my kids. Not to say that much metal is, either! But as far as metal goes, I'm the one who's typically deciding what they'll hear, so I can be picky and lay off the, say, Cannible Corpse, while they're around. I can also frame it for them. That's tougher to do with hip hop, which they will be more likely to be exposed to without me. Besides, who the hell can understand a lot of the metal lyrics without reading them or being told what they are, anyway? Not really true of hip hop.

Again, I'm not saying ALL hip hop. But some. And that's enough for me.

I agree with you, soundave.
here in Holland hiphop is also very mainstream and much of the dutch hiphop is fairly innocent (about partying, the social problems of the world) but much of the mainstream hiphop and rap from the USA is about the bitches and the ho's, the fuck you's and kill you's, so I was very worried when my two boys started to use those words when they were just 4 and 5 years old! not to mention the scarcely clad women in those videos. some hiphop is very pleasant to listen to (missy elliott or De La Soul) but I wont let my kids watch mtv or other music channels. I'm just a concerned mother, thats all.

I agree with you, soundave.
here in Holland hiphop is also very mainstream and much of the dutch hiphop is fairly innocent (about partying, the social problems of the world) but much of the mainstream hiphop and rap from the USA is about the bitches and the ho's, the fuck you's and kill you's, so I was very worried when my two boys started to use those words when they were just 4 and 5 years old! not to mention the scarcely clad women in those videos. some hiphop is very pleasant to listen to (missy elliott or De La Soul) but I wont let my kids watch mtv or other music channels. I'm just a concerned mother, thats all.

great to know that there ara some mothers like you..

My dad will listen to metal with me in car rides. He's gotten into some Opeth and Dream Theater. But he and I really share a love for prog. King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, and the like.

My dad will listen to metal with me in car rides. He's gotten into some Opeth and Dream Theater. But he and I really share a love for prog. King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, and the like.

Cool. When I was a kid, my dad and I would listen to Tull, Deep Purple, and Zep in the car. He was psyched I liked that music. A great way to connect, and hear some good stories...

exactly! got to protect their ears! and also true: if kids dont like what they're hearing, they'll let you know. I think its great you took your little boy to a festival!
I also try to respet their taste in music but they're not allowed to actually watch hiphop videos because 2 yrs ago my oldest son (then 6) started saying "bitch" and "Ho" to his gf... :mad: I calmly explain to him what those words meant and that they arent very friendly. luckily he understood and stopped saying them. but man, I wasn't very happy!:ill:

your 6 yr old son had a gf? hm?

iunno, my mom only realy likes like, abba, enya, random ass singing people that i cant stand...

i was playing some bloodbath and my little cousin came down once, she was like 4, she started jumping around making angry faces and laughing at the music... so i backhanded her in the face and sent her upstairs... minus the backhand:rolleyes:

"See, listen kids here comes the monster..." <The Grand Conjuration blares: "WIELD YOUR POWER!"> :headbang:
I don't recall that line being very.... Blarey...

I don't have kids, seeing as how I'm still a teenager, but I introduced my dad to Opeth, The Crown and a few other bands. The Crown is his favorite.

About tastes growing up, as a child, my parents played me SHIT. Until I was like 4 or 5 I listened to kiddie music, then I listened to like, whatever pop garbage my mom put on the radio, like Ace of Bass. My dad listened to shit like Pearl Jam, which I hate, but I wasn't really exposed to it that much cause I lived with my mom.

When I have kids, I'll raise them on what I like, which I feel would be good for a well rounded child. 4 parts metal, 2 parts hip-hop, 1 part punk rock. And as far as hip hop goes, it can be plenty inspirational and deep, it's not all the stuff that you know. If you're open minded take a listen to Blackstar (Mos Def and Talib Kweli, but they're better as a duo), The Roots and Common.

Also, lucky for me, when I do have kids they'll rock metal swag, there's a custom t-shirt place by my house (not those shitty ones that fall apart either). I'll have my kid going to preschool with a Ribspreader tee and long hair scaring all the other little kids.