Some excellent Aussie bands

zacmenta

Jul 5, 2007
www.myspace.com
There are some amazing bands in Australia at the moment, so I've decided to give some of them a bit of promotion:

Blood Mason - Death metal, mixes of old school (think Atheist/Death in particular) and technical Death metal.

Asphyxia - Death metal as well. Technical but not wanky, melodic, but without the (often very generic) Gothenburg Melodeath sound. A Self-titled album is being released on March 16th.

Ne Obliviscaris - Progressive Black Metal. They have a violinist in the band as well. Their 3 track EP received amazing reviews (I've only heard one track off it) and one of them even called them "That greatest unsigned band on Earth".

Universum - Melodic Death Metal. Recording a full-length album, which is being mixed and mastered (I'm not sure what this means, to be honest) at some studio in Sweden. One of the guitarists from Finland's "Mors Principium Est" is playing a guest solo on the album as well.

Psycroptic - Technical Death Metal. One of Tech Death's biggest bands, apparently. Amazing band, manage to be incredibly technical without sounding wanky (unlike, say, Necrophagist).

The Amenta - A mix Death Metal/Black Metal/Industrial. Really evil sounding band; brutal and percussive riffs and dark/gloomy melodies all over the place.

Vanishing Point - Power Metal, supported Iron Maiden on their Australian tour, and are supporting (or have supported, can't remember) Helloween on their Aussie tour.

Alchemist - Progressive/Doom/Death metal. Very left-of-centre style, but remain one of Australia's bigger metal bands.