Song meanings

TheFourthHorseman

In The Twilight World
Jan 7, 2003
Finland
Since we got a thread about some of those missing lyrics,I figured that it'd be nice to know what some of the songs are about as a whole too.
Of course some of the songs are easy to interpret,but most of them are pretty tricky,at least to me. So basically anyone can add their interpretations about any song,but I'm mainly interested in what these songs are about :

• Nightfall By The Shore Of Time
  • Edenspring
  • The Dividing Line
  • The One Brooding Warning
  • Midway Through Infinity
  • Dreamlore Degenerate
  • Zodijackyl Light
  • Scythe,Rage And Roses
  • Dissolution Factor Red
  • Atom Heart 243.5
  • ThereIn
  • Auctioned
  • To A Bitter Halt
  • Dobermann
  • The Wonders At Your Feet
  • Final Resistance
  • Cathode Ray Sunshine

UnDo Control is about alcoholism,right? Just realized that due to the lyrics guessing "game" thread.
Of course I have some ideas about these songs too,so pretty detailed interpretations would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Siren
This is a long shot and its almost certainly wrong but could final resistance be about the Vietnam war? There is general war imagery throughout the song but there are a few parts that made me think it could be about 'naam.

'To make a chemical stand'
this could have infinate other meanings but it could refer to the US use of chemical weapons.

'In attempt to tame their minarel estrangement'
This could mean the failed US campaign to win over the hearts and minds of the Vietnamese people.

'Smothered by the numeral that haunts each waking day'
This could refer to the US conscripts policy of drawing 365 squares on their helmets and marking one off each day they were there. The closer they got to the end of thier service, the less willing they were to risk their lives.

'Answers left to echo in the silent halls of none'
This could refer to the shoot first ask questions later policy adopted by many soldires.

'Cast down the hopes and aspirations
Shut the windows tight
Everybody said No
Reset your fears and good intentions
Barred up for life
Everybody said No'

This could at an absolute stretch be about the resignation of president Jhonson after the conflict due to his unpopularity with anti war preotesters and the public ingeneral.

This is probably complete rubbish but it makes some sort of sense doesn't it?

I used to think Zodijackyl Light was about nuclear warfare until someone told me otherwise. Weeeeell. You could very easily think so though.

Crown the impulse that deliberately fall
defeat in spiritless action
Isolation - burn the greenwood -- Obviously an atomic bomb would "burn the greenwood"
Order of the vertical path -- Bombs fall down, i.e. vertically

Descendent
crawlin the remnants of one thousand lies -- About the few people who remain after the impact of the bomb, crawling in the remnants of one thousand lies, i.e. whatever was behind the supposed war...
Restaging
torching a world that was left behind -- Right. Bombs torch worlds.
Zodijackyl light

Cross the sharpest void
deride the embers of his fall
The bringer that on millions horses ride -- This would refer to the immense power of the bomb.

Waiting for the call within, the spark of sin
ever reminiscent of the coming of storm
Can you see the cosmic face
in which disorder lies

Burning of oppression
the inventors -- "Hey! You invented an atomic bomb! It's your fault!"
is the killing hand -- The "burning" caused by the bomb is what ultimately kills us
Be that of the darkest sin
to frustrate hope and love

I shall not be blinded
I shall not be forced

Resistance
feasting on debris from celestial wars -- CELESTIAL WARS! Wars taking place in the sky -- i.e. nuclear warfare.

Burning in the sky -- Burn in the sky, atomic bombs to.
beyond the realm of time:
Sequence if the nucleus -- This should be obvious.
the glowing dust in flight -- Glowing dust? Radioactive dust? In flight?
Zodijackyl light

And they ride, they ride
the drama takes the lead
the beast of heaven their guide -- Beast of heaven = bomb. Etc.
Racing through the vastness -- Bombs race through the vastness of the sky
constellation disarray
that darkness could not have existed
that bares no witness to the light

Sweet endless
Perpetually plunge through interior vaults
So seamless
Joints of time cannot shackle the beast -- Even huge amounts of time can not make the resulting radiation of the beast -- the harmful radioactivity -- go away.

Zodijackyl light.

I could comment on more of the lines really but right now I can't be bothered to. I was convinced this theory was wrong back in the day.

I think auctioned is about isolation and throughing ones life away "where did I sign did I miss the auction where my life went under the club?" due to dissapointment of ppl may be and fear of expressing the feelings and thoughts. May be I'm totally wrong but I've been on that state and these lines specially "went the half mile...never to be seen" expressed it perfectly..

Reactions: Siren
Well thanks a lot to CWP,RealHazard,Phyre (...Siren,Rahvin :p).
I do agree that the nuclear warfare theory about Zodijackyl Light sounds really fitting. Same with CWP's Final Resistance theory,except that it could be a lot of other things too :)

Any more?

Midway Through Infinity seems rather clear. It is about the theory of reincarnation, I think. People are born, they die, and then another ones come to life.
"Born from death you now confront me
Back to death with my life I take you
Die more with each movement of mine "

It's about the infinite contact of Life and Death; Past, Present and Future. Something is still uncertain to me... The presence of the supposed Creator of this world, maybe?... Hmm...

Well, as far as I can remember, I have always thought that "Nightfall by the Shore of Time" was about exploring the threshold dividing/putting into contact the single thinking minds (with the various frames underlying their thinking activity, time, space etc.) and the detached, timeless "thought" or "mind".. a bit neoplatonic, I thought back then...

Phyre: I asked Stanne straight up once if Zodijackyl light's was about nuclear weapons and he said it wasn't.

Here is my take on Cathode ray sunshine
I think this song is about how people are enslaved by computers and how they live out their lives in the cathode ray sunshine, alienated from the real world and normal human interaction.

Carry our streams
Lift up our less than elated lives
Transmit our selves
We breathe out
Where no one whispers

I think this passage is about how kids today feel helpless or useless and how they develop online personas where they can be someone else. To breathe out where noone whispers is in my opinion a reference to the Internet and how you can be anonymous and assume a role.

Take in all the dark light
turn the nighttime into day

Could be about sitting in front of the computer day and night, in effect making nighttime into day.

Cathode ray Sunshine
speak out and we receive
Show me and let us in

The cathode ray sunshine is a give-away that we are talking about someone who is using a computer. It was also my immediate assumption which I think I got confirmed by the author when I asked him.

Alienate
Block out all
amid the breaking of the light
See it again and again
Single sight

The more time you spend online, the more you are alienated from the life offline. See it again and again, single sight could be a sign of someone being addicted to the point of not being able to break out of the habit of an online life.

Sensory perception
turn the nighttime into day

To our great distrust
Escapism a means of
getting through alive
Take it in and spit it out again
That measly filth

To me the escapism mentioned is about the fact that while online you can be whoever you want to be and it is a way of "getting through alive" if you are fed up with the life you lead. Taking it in and spitting it out again could refer to the fact that you constantly do this over and over again. Taking it in and spitting it out again could refer to people spreading rumours (measly filth) fast and easily online.

Focal degradation
Bring the chaos into light
Cathode ray Sunshine
Burn

Focal degradation, bring the chaos into light. I think this part could be about how the net brings out the bad feelings (chaos) of some people and they bare them to others.

Any opinions?
This was a quick analysis, and I might do another if anyone cares to comment or discuss it.

Reactions: Tebus