still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

probably been mentioned on here before, but I haven't been following this thread. I remember some people talking about the apparent lack of bass with the 5.1 mix. I've only just got my suround setup back up and running and just threw in Still Life to test it out. My system is showing the disc as 3/2 (5 channels), instead of 3/2.1 (proper 5.1), so that explains the lack of bass. There isn't a .1 channel. apart from that, it's sounding fantastic.

probably been mentioned on here before, but I haven't been following this thread. I remember some people talking about the apparent lack of bass with the 5.1 mix. I've only just got my suround setup back up and running and just threw in Still Life to test it out. My system is showing the disc as 3/2 (5 channels), instead of 3/2.1 (proper 5.1), so that explains the lack of bass. There isn't a .1 channel. apart from that, it's sounding fantastic.
Thats been pointed out a number of times already actually. ;) But again people, it doesn't matter. There is only two situations I can think of where the lack of a sub channel will result in a lack of bass; one would be that you have your system setup improper to standards, and wont allow the sub to reproduce audio unless it is specifically being sent an LFE, and two, the mix was intended to have an LFE channel, but due to some magnanimously horrible error, it was removed somewhere along the line.

In reality though, I'm sure its just the way it was mixed.

what do you mean it doesnt matter? i dont have a sub because ive never needed one. my main front speakers are good enough, and have always been great for suround music, but with the Still Life disc I have to turn on the EQ and crank up the bass otherwise it sounds .... well you know, it doesnt have any lower end. it's like you said, maybe it got accidentally left out because i've never some across a disc that was only 5.0.

but regardless .... it sounds amazing with that little tweek fixed.

what do you mean it doesnt matter?
It doesn't matter because the rest of the mix should be full range regardless of an LFE. An engineer who knows the basics of surround mixing will typically make a mix that sounds fine without an LFE channel, then use the LFE channel only sparingly for added effect, hence "Low Frequency Effect". It should never be relied upon because there are simply too many variables that may come up where it wont perform as expected. To add, the sub woofer will be fully active in a 5.0 mix if its mixed properly, just as with a CD, which is of course 2.0.

The possibility of an error occurring and not allowing the LFE channel to function properly seems slim, but anything is possible. In any case, if it was mixed for full range speakers to begin with, as it should be, then it wouldn't be an issue, the exact reason why the LFE channel is always optional in surround mixes.

Just got this the other day, haven't had a chance to hear the 5.1 mix as I am planning to use the system they have at my uni when I can get to it, don't have 5.1 at home. The remaster of the stereo mix sounds a little bit crisper but not significantly different.

What I wanted to ask was if anyone has a decent scan of the front cover - not the placeholder version that's in most places. A nice big-sized scan of it would be much appreciatted (maybe 500 pixels wide or so).

I'm sorry, but I have no scan, just another awesome version in 600x600.
Here:
stilllife.jpg

And since I have so sick photoshop skills, I tried to change the font. It turned out ok, but I can make it a bit better.

Edit: Wait, I got it better, look:

stilllife51.jpg

I've only just got it and I rather like what they've done with it ... I only wish they would make 5.1 compatible with i-Pods ... though, I guess it wouldn't be 5.1 then, would it?