still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

Of course, no stores had it near me either. Best Buy, Circuit City, FYE, etc. They all said the same thing..."Well we should have gotten it...not sure why we didn't." Stupid Peaceville, they need to get their act together in the states. :mad:

That's one nice thing about Roadrunner.... you'll be able to find Watershed the day it comes out. Believe it.

Yay found a Still Life import today at a local independant cd/vinyl joint.

Anyone else notice the lack of a low frequency channel? i.e. the .1 in 5.1. If you have a decoder you'll notice the GR 5.1 mix has the sub channel. The SL 5.1 mix doesn't seem to have it.

Nevertheless, this is a beautiful release. Thank you Mikael, Jens, Peaceville, et. all.

I just got my 5.1 mix recently and I'm listening to it on my computer using VLC Media Player (great little program) but I think there might be something wrong with either the disc or the way I'm playing it, mainly with the song White Cluster. I was pumped to see they had raised the solo volume quite a bit because I love that guitar solo but then I realized that it's WAAAY too high in the mix and I could barely hear anything in the background. I've noticed this with a couple other songs but not as bad. Could it be my setup, settings, or was it just mixed that way?

Other than these little anomalies it sounds great though.

The solo on White Cluster is perfectly mixed imo. It comes through the front speaker, crystal clear sounding but not too high. All solos sound incredibly great, I think.

just ordered it together with the new Porcupine Tree Lightbulb Sun 5.1 remix.
and a friend of mine bought himself some quality speakers. what a lucky coincidence. I'll visit and kick him out for a day when the package arrives! :headbang:

I just received it and I'm actually reading the notes it says:«I eventually got to record a few demos at Blakkheim place. The tape seems to be lost today but I remember it had a few cool unused idea. I'm sure I have it somewhere.»

Please mike find this tape!!!!

Ordered it online the other day.. don't have a 5.1 system though :(
Gonna look into getting one soon.
In the mean time I could just rip the DVD audio and mix it down to 2 channels I'd assume?

Ordered it online the other day.. don't have a 5.1 system though :(
Gonna look into getting one soon.
In the mean time I could just rip the DVD audio and mix it down to 2 channels I'd assume?

There is a Dolby 2 channel downmix included on the dvd. Interestingly, the dropouts near the end of The Moor, at 6:56 and 7:22, are present on all 3 dvd mixes (an ode to the original release?). They fixed both spots on the remastered CD, however.

If you have a subwoofer, be prepared to adjust the gain. There is no low frequency channel encoded on any of the dvd mixes.

I remember reading the downmix didn't really have anything different than the normal remaster though?

yeah only the 5.1 mix is the "new" remix, the 2 channel is just the remastered version like on the CD (which to my ears doesn't sound all that different). very disapointing to say the least because if you want to hear the "new" remix with headphones you have to put up with 6 channels being downmixed by your equipment into stereo, which isn't always the best.

There is a Dolby 2 channel downmix included on the dvd. Interestingly, the dropouts near the end of The Moor, at 6:56 and 7:22, are present on all 3 dvd mixes (an ode to the original release?). They fixed both spots on the remastered CD, however.

If you have a subwoofer, be prepared to adjust the gain. There is no low frequency channel encoded on any of the dvd mixes.
The LFE channel is pretty much useless in most setups anyway, pretty much all systems will automatically route the low frequencies to the sub, hence when you listen to a CD which is only 2.0, it has bass, a 5.0 is no different unless you specifically have your crossover setup for it.