Stimulus Package - What Will You Buy?

So you're saying that if everybody spent their money properly as the government intended, it would have NO impact on the economy whatsoever?

I'm saying that putting the money into our hands is just going to make inflation worse than it already is. If people spend this money, it's like the government never even doled out the money in the first place because the tax revenue from purchases is just going to offset the money they gave to everyone (I'm assuming this is funded using our tax dollars, which is probably accurate).

I suppose if you gave 600 bucks to EVERYONE (not just people who made over 3K last year and are 18+ or whatever the stipulations are) there might be an effect seen, but who knows. We're not really going to know if this is going to have an effect for at least a few years

I'm saying that putting the money into our hands is just going to make inflation worse than it already is. If people spend this money, it's like the government never even doled out the money in the first place because the tax revenue from purchases is just going to offset the money they gave to everyone (I'm assuming this is funded using our tax dollars, which is probably accurate).

I suppose if you gave 600 bucks to EVERYONE (not just people who made over 3K last year and are 18+ or whatever the stipulations are) there might be an effect seen, but who knows. We're not really going to know if this is going to have an effect for at least a few years

So in other words it is possible for the plan to have a positive effect on the economy (though it's so unlikely that it's not really even relevant) if people spent money on the right things.

So in other words it is possible for the plan to have a positive effect on the economy (though it's so unlikely that it's not really even relevant) if people spent money on the right things.

In theory, that could work, but Michael Bloomberg put it bluntly:

'This stimulus package is like giving a beer to an alcoholic'

I mean, it's just going to dilute the money supply more if they are just printing the money from scratch. I don't know what they're using to fund this.

Mmkay, well what I said above was the only thing that I was arguing. The plan is going to be a massive failure, of course.

I believe the point is that by seeing increased spending in the economy investors (and most everyone else) will have more confidence in it and, as a result, begin putting more of their own money into it causing a continuous growth.

I believe the point is that by seeing increased spending in the economy investors (and most everyone else) will have more confidence in it and, as a result, begin putting more of their own money into it causing a continuous growth.

What do you mean by 'it', the economy?

In theory, that could work, but Michael Bloomberg put it bluntly:

'This stimulus package is like giving a beer to an alcoholic'

I mean, it's just going to dilute the money supply more if they are just printing the money from scratch. I don't know what they're using to fund this.

Yeah, it's not like we aren't going to have to repay this money later, since either:

A) The national debt will continue to grow, thus making U.S. money lose its value, and sending us into recession

or:

B) The government will eventually raise taxes to compensate for all the shit they spent on that they couldn't afford.

I agree with The Ozzman about the inflation issue. However, since this initiative will proceed as planned, we might as well take full advantage of it, properly, and try to get something good out of it for the economy. You could say the government is forcing our hand here, but we might as well do as they wish since not doing so could just make things worse.

This is seriously the most ingenius idea I've ever heard. Who would have thought that by giving the people money instead of just throwing it away (like the government is doing with Pakistan) that it would help our economy. Brilliant!