Stop bitching the New In flames !

Very stupid way of thinking imo. That goes for any band in the world, why should they have to start another new project/band just because they want to progress/change musically?

I mean a Black Metal band could just totally change and write a Pop album, should they have to start from scratch with a new name just because the music doesnt sound the same as the last record and some people will not like the music? That sounds stupid. If anyone writes music they like they shouldn't have to form a new band just because it sounds different lol. I know many musicians do create side-projects though for their other musical visions, but it all depends on what artist it is. Some already have a progressive sound from the start like Devin Townsend and just jumps genre's without a problem whatsoever. I guess it depends on intent also, if it's just some music they want to write and release but don't plan on performing it live or anything, then obviously it should be a side project. That isn't the case with In Flames though. Regardless of how bad or good people think it is, the reality is that this is what In Flames wants to do at the moment. I would also love for them to write a more aggressive album but if they don't want to do it, why should they force it just because?
Maybe because, sometimes, people sit down, loom at themselves and think "are we the same band that we used to be"?

Maybe because they have lost one part of the triumvirate, one part that was really important. Maybe because there are only two members left and they don't seem to know what they really want to do with their music.

I don't know. There are many reasons.

By the way, Steve Harris British Lion is playing live, Bruce Dickinson is about to release a new album that he is going to play live. Chris's Cornell had a solo career apart from Soundgarden, Bjorn Strid has The Night Flight Orchestra... So maybe some people just think that some music does not fit their bands and still they thinknseriously of their alternate projects.

I really think that there are a lot of musicians proving your point wrong. But that's my thought. As I think that calling a thought stupid is not the best way to discuss shit. But that's up to you.

According to your way of thinking Passenger and Dimension Zero should be considered anomalies that should have never existed.

They were side projects because the music did not fit I'm flames or they did not wanted to be on those side projects because they always do the music that they want to do with in flames.

No I certainly didn't say you should never create side projects. I said you shouldn't always HAVE to. There's also a huge difference being that sideprojects almost always has other members that is not in the original band. I mean have you ever heard of a band and all of its members creating another band for a bit different sound than their ''main'' band? I for sure haven't. It's usually one of the songwriters or the vocalist having another project with some other dude(s). I know what you mean with music not fitting a certain sound and I both agree and don't agree at the same time. There's definitely bands that I was ''disappointed'' the direction they took with an album but that's just life, you can't expect people, epsecially musicians to personally conform to your opinion about stuff.

In Flames never really wrote aggressive albums so I wouldn't want that out of them, but it would have been nice to hear another SOAPF before Daniel and Peter left. I don't really consider it In Flames with Niklas, Bryce Paul and Christian Joe in the band. Sorry. I understand why they're using the name, but, nah. Not for me. It might be In Flames in name but it's a hollow shell and we all know it.
What I meant by aggressive is a bit more speed, more screams. Not a copy of Come Clarity, but in a similar vein stylewise.

No I certainly didn't say you should never create side projects. I said you shouldn't always HAVE to. There's also a huge difference being that sideprojects almost always has other members that is not in the original band. I mean have you ever heard of a band and all of its members creating another band for a bit different sound than their ''main'' band? I for sure haven't. It's usually one of the songwriters or the vocalist having another project with some other dude(s).
So the problem is: what should they do when only two members are left and they decide to make a turn in their musical style?

That's the reason to why some people think that they should change their name. Specially when we think that they're less sure about their music than about their name. I still think that people would not care about SC or Battles if they were labelled passenger, or dimension zero or whatever other name they could come with apart from In Flames. And I think that they're aware of this.

There's definitely bands that I was ''disappointed'' the direction they took with an album but that's just life, you can't expect people, epsecially musicians to personally conform to your opinion about stuff.
No, we can't, but we can have an opinion about it.

In Flames never really wrote aggressive albums
Define agressive :rofl:

In terms of death metal. Definitely they didn't. In terms of general music, my aunt once told us (me and my cousin) to stop with the nazi stuff :p. And they have some "agressive" songs in their catalogue.

I've always liked how they kept a balance between melodies and agressiveness. Now, that's gone.

There's a few aggressive songs. Some on Whoracle, some on STYE and Come Clarity.

They were never aggressive in the vein as At The Gates, Carcass or Soilwork though.

So the problem is: what should they do when only two members are left and they decide to make a turn in their musical style?

That's the reason to why some people think that they should change their name. Specially when we think that they're less sure about their music than about their name. I still think that people would not care about SC or Battles if they were labelled passenger, or dimension zero or whatever other name they could come with apart from In Flames. And I think that they're aware of this.

No, we can't, but we can have an opinion about it.
You're acting as if Jesper wasn't in the band after Clayman or what? What do you mean ''two members left''? They ''took a turn musically'' almost 20 years ago while Jesper was still in the band. You're acting as if they held a knife to Jesper's throat and Björn & Anders wrote all music from R2R - ASOP. What should they do? They are both original members when the project In Flames became a band after Subterranean and Björn has been writing stuff all the way since he joined the band (Although Jesper wrote most of TJR and Whoracle). I don't know if you're serious when you're saying that after Jesper left Anders & Björn decided to take a turn musically all of a sudden? It's been an ongoing progression for 2 decades dude. Jesper was still writing the majority of the music though until he left the band. It's not like Jesper left In Flames to start up a melodic death metal band with the style of old In Flames. Cyhra? Melodic Modern Metal? BACK TO THE ROOTS BABY. SC and Battles as a new band? Oh so shouldn't they logically have started a new band after they made Clayman or R2R since STYE was such a shift in sound?

Of course people wouldn't care as much if they released music under a new name. That's obvious and it has nothing to do with the quality of music.

I always love the blaming Anders argument, as if he even can play guitar any good at all. Remember, Fredrik Nordström said In Flames wanted to stop with all the dual guitar harmonies all the way back at Whoracle/Colony but he convinced them otherwise.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but it's incredibly stupid in all ways in my opinion.

Last edited:
There's a few aggressive songs. Some on Whoracle, some on STYE and Come Clarity.

They were never aggressive in the vein as At The Gates, Carcass or Soilwork though.
I've always thought In Flames was at their most aggressive at Come Clarity. Yes, the sound was rawer in the early days but not the speed imo apart from some songs.

At The Gates has a much more thrashier sounding melodeath, and Soilwork I dunno, they just had Dirk Verbeuren for a long time who is a goddamn beast on the drums. Never liked Carcass at all.

When I think of aggression, melodic death metal doesn't usually come to mind. To me that's more on the death/black metal end of the spectrum. I know that people who don't listen to metal would probably consider In Flames brutal, aggressive, etc, but in context they really aren't. There are songs here and there that are on the aggressive side - Dead Eternity, Morphing Into Primal, Vacuum, F(r)iend, Everything's Gone - but when I think of In Flames I think mainly of great melodies, not aggressive music, and imo their best work has always been more on the melodic side as opposed to the br00tal side of the metal spectrum.

Reactions: eochaid
You're acting as if Jesper wasn't in the band after Clayman or what? What do you mean ''two members left''? They ''took a turn musically'' almost 20 years ago while Jesper was still in the band. You're acting as if they held a knife to Jesper's throat and Björn & Anders wrote all music from R2R - ASOP. What should they do? They are both original members when the project In Flames became a band after Subterranean and Björn has been writing stuff all the way since he joined the band (Although Jesper wrote most of TJR and Whoracle). I don't know if you're serious when you're saying that after Jesper left Anders & Björn decided to take a turn musically all of a sudden? It's been an ongoing progression for 2 decades dude. Jesper was still writing the majority of the music though until he left the band. It's not like Jesper left In Flames to start up a melodic death metal band with the style of old In Flames. Cyhra? Melodic Modern Metal? BACK TO THE ROOTS BABY. SC and Battles as a new band? Oh so shouldn't they logically have started a new band after they made Clayman or R2R since STYE was such a shift in sound?

Of course people wouldn't care as much if they released music under a new name. That's obvious and it has nothing to do with the quality of music.

I always love the blaming Anders argument, as if he even can play guitar any good at all. Remember, Fredrik Nordström said In Flames wanted to stop with all the dual guitar harmonies all the way back at Whoracle/Colony but he convinced them otherwise.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but it's incredibly stupid in all ways in my opinion.

They took a turn but they were still a metal band, I would even call them an extreme metal band. BUt now, they're almost an al-rock band. Music has lost its importance just to give Anders the main act.

And you should really stop using words like stupid. They do not make any good to your arguments.

Last edited:

I don't see soilwork as being aggressive.

When I think of aggression, melodic death metal doesn't usually come to mind. To me that's more on the death/black metal end of the spectrum. I know that people who don't listen to metal would probably consider In Flames brutal, aggressive, etc, but in context they really aren't. There are songs here and there that are on the aggressive side - Dead Eternity, Morphing Into Primal, Vacuum, F(r)iend, Everything's Gone - but when I think of In Flames I think mainly of great melodies, not aggressive music, and imo their best work has always been more on the melodic side as opposed to the br00tal side of the metal spectrum.
I agree with you. Was just making a point. Most probably iron maiden fans will find old in flames aggressive, while slayer fans will find it too soft. But the truth is that, even in their more "aggressive" songs they always searched for a melody.

I don't see soilwork as being aggressive.
Older Soilwork and their last 2 albums they definitely have an aggressive sound. I don't think having clean sung choruses negates being aggressive in general. I guess it's all a matter of definitions and opinions. People outisde of metal calls anything aggressive as long as it's screams or growls.

Yeah but that's why the Metal scene is still so good, it hasn't been fucked and probably never will be by media and radio like popular music.

I mean sure Linkin Park in their prime aka first 2 albums was pretty damn big, Transformers helped them to really reach wider though. Even though I still wouldn't call nu metal that popular. It was trendy but not anymore. You should see top50 lists on Spotify of most played and that stuff, then you understand what the majority of people listen to. Doubt you'll even find one song with electric guitars in it. Not even top50 popular songs in Sweden has any Rock/Metal whatsoever in it.

Steelbath Suicide, Chainheart Machine, and Predator's Portrait were very aggressive albums for melodeath.
I don't consider aggressive sounding music needing to be "brutal death metal".

And yes, Come Clarity was definitely aggressive, if not their most aggressive album.

Meanwhile, in Spain, radio usually plays Metallica (not that they're nu metal), though I don't know why. Rammstein is also very popular.

I know that nu metal has passed its expiring date. But I used to see Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn or even Slipknot in music friendly (and with this I mean garbage made for brainless minds) tv shows. I think that was the first approach of the stablishment to devour metal as a movement and to turn it into a commercial success.

As an anecdote, I remember, one time, watching MTV (by chance) and the host was talking about new Limp Biscuit in front of a crowd. The show ended with the guy commanding people to go to the nearest store to buy the album.

The same could be said about Metallica. ANother anecdote. A popular (now dead) radio host in Spain (insufferable and pedantic) once talking about the release of one of metallica's albums (I think that it was reload), when talking about the crtics from long time fans said "Metallica aren't metal anymore, they're universal rock".

I'm glad that time is over. I personally hate nu metal (only can stand Slipknot).

Steelbath Suicide, Chainheart Machine, and Predator's Portrait were very aggressive albums for melodeath.
I don't consider aggressive sounding music needing to be "brutal death metal".
Dunno, I shall re-listen to them. It's been a long time.

And yes, Come Clarity was definitely aggressive, if not their most aggressive album.

Agreed.