Suggestions for speaker replacement in a new 2x12 cab

Old Man Doom

Dec 9, 2012
oldmandoom.bandcamp.com
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a 2x12 for my blackstar HT5. I've been using the matching 1x10 cab for a few years, but I feel like it's time for an upgrade. I didn't really find any loaded cabs that I wanted, so I've decided to get an empty cab and choose my speakers.

I found this:http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/empty-guitar-cabinet-2x12/p/Luke-2x12C_BLWH
It looks great and has some good reviews, but most importantly, the price is perfect (since I'm on a pretty restricted budget).

So, I'm looking for speaker suggestions for loading into the seismic. I'm not very well-versed in speakers, but I did find this:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-the-wizard-12-guitar-speaker
I've heard some good things about the wizard, and I mean: "The Wizard". That's a fucking cool name. Any thoughts on this 12"?

I play sludgy doom and prog shit mostly, like Mastodon and Baroness, if that helps at all; also, this is mainly for the studio as I don't really play live.

I'm open to other suggestions, but my budget is pretty restricted, so I'm looking for speakers under $100.

I dig the looks of that cabinet. Cant comment on the Wizard, but my advice if your definitely going this route would be to get on Ebay and check out some Celestions. K100's, V30s, Greenbacks, all proven speakers that go for around $80 used in good condition all the time. I think that it would be worth checking out the Guitar Center used site also, I've picked up both my Marshall mode four cabinets off of there for well under $300 maybe a touch over after shipping. Really anything that not an Orange or a Mesa is severely discounted in the second hand market.

I know some of the cats around here can pull awesome tones from 2x12 cabs but I have never had any luck getting a tone I was wild about from anything smaller than a standard 4x12 cabinet. I dont even necessarily have to crank the volume through the roof either to pull tones I am happy with and hear the difference. Just my $0.02

Thanks for the input, man. I think I've settled on some GWS Retro 30's for the 2x12. Supposedly they are very similar to a celestion v30 but they sound broken-in out of the box and have less of a harsh midrange spike. Those are $69 each brand-new, which seems like a solid price to me, unless someone can dissuade me from checking out the WGS stuff.

I have checked my local guitar center (and one out of town) for some decent cabs. I haven't seen anything worth it, except for a old-ass Bugera 2x12 that was beaten to hell, but still GC wanted $150 for it, so I passed.

As for the 4x12 vs 2x12 issue: I live in an apartment at school and will be moving to a couple different places soon, so I can't lug a 4x12 with me. The 2x12 seems easier to move and compact enough for my living situation.

The seismic is only on sale for a few more days, so if anything I'll probably pick that up and then take some more time demoing speakers and such.