Sunn 0)))

I don't often believe in lashing out here, given that I'm a mod and shit...I'll do it now and then as many people will be quick to point out but whatever, Falco's allowed to be a weirdo.

Well me neither; however many people on here do that shit so that's why I was surprised to see it :lol:

I would say it's pretty common across the board. Speed it up and tune it up, and most of this stuff would sound more like Mudhoney or Soundgarden than Black Sabbath, despite the "doom" tag.

Although I'm not sure if you have any particular bands in mind here, that seems a bit far-fetched. That said, both the dirgey Seattle grunge style and the sludge sound that permeates so many SL bands definitely owe a debt to bands like the Melvins who were rooted in hardcore punk, alternative and other non-metal scenes. And there's possibly something to be said for the fact that all these guys (including Sunn0)))'s O'Malley and Anderson) were from the Pacific Northwest. But for the most part, those influences seem too latent and subtle to question their credentials as doom. It's slow, distorted, brooding, often hypnotic music. Sounds pretty doom to me.

I'd wager that Swans is one of their favorite bands, and they probably did like early Sonic Youth as well. However, that really isn't "alternative" rock.

It's more like "art" rock really, that whole New York liberal music scene.

I'm listening to Grimmrobe Demos atm, I forgot how great it is.

You must be thinking of the second era stuff like Daydream Nation, which definitely isn't what Sunn O))) was most likely inspired by. The early harrowing noise/no wave material is not alternative rock, no matter whether you try to argue with me that it is.

Now you're actually just wrong since the beauty of the term "no wave" is that it originated to differentiate specific bands like Sonic Youth, Swans and others from the scene in New York in the early 1980's from the uprising wave of "alternative" bands.

Sonic Youth later moved into territory that embraced the sounds of the so-called alternative rock bands, but their early material is far removed from it and more closely related to the material of Glenn Branca, who was clearly their primary influence early on.

The term "alternative rock" originated in the 1970's as part of radio formats, kind of like "progressive rock" referring to a specific radio format. In the late 70's, it was applied to bands that played post-punk and other unusual styles of rock music that helped lay a groundwork for the "alternative" bands of the 1980's, which were also referred to under this genre heading. "No wave" was specifically a rebellion to certain styles of music that began to rise in the early 1980's, including new wave and the alternative movement.

You really aren't right, and I'd suggest you actually do some reading.

I'd love to continue arguing with you about this, but I've already said everything that I really need to say, and there's no point in continuing since we'll never agree about it, but I still have one question for you. Why did you talk about Wikipedia in your post?

The only thing I've ever really used Wikipedia for is articles on historical events and science subjects, and occasionally to look up albums because they usually have a lot of information and external links on the pages that sites like discogs.com don't offer. I've never really bothered with their articles regarding genres of music, since the few I looked at were really stupid and contained a lot of information that I didn't think was necessary.

Sunn O))) sound like your fridge when it gets angry :lol:

No really, you just have to stick with it and patterns and rhythms will appear in the music. Through headphones or good speakers they are crushing.

Their most straight up album is probably Flight of The Behemoths...

I've never seen the problem with Sunn. Maybe it's because I'm a big drone/ambient guy alone, but I think a lot of their earlier works are amazing. (Grimmrobe, White1, White2)