Swano vs Äkerfeldt

Whos work do you prefer? If you can choose.

• Dan Swano

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Mikael Äkerfeldt

Votes: 50 61.0%

• Total voters
Swanö and here's why:

Versatility.

Mikael can write Opeth and that long winding style. What else?

Dan's clean vocals also have a much fuller quality than Mikael's...

Dan's strength is not technicality, but songwriting. And he's written (or co-written) the really long type of song, the 3 minute 'verse chorus verse', the avant-garde, death metal, traditional metal, non-metal, you name it...

All that said, Dan's never done anything near Morningrise, and he's not nearly as consistent in quality song-to-song as Mikael.

Originally posted by Static

Yeah right. The only good Edge of Sanity albums are the Spectral Sorrows, Crimson and Purgatory Afterglow. Infernal was decidedly average, and in terms of Dan having any album as good as any of the Opeth albums I only think Crimson fits the bill. Nightingale is good but a bit too soft and occasionaly self-indulgent. Swano is fully not the better singer. His growl is almost as good but not as spooky or momentous, and his clean voice is nice but no-where near the beauty of Akerfeldts. As a musician he is as talented if not more than Akerfeldt but his songwriting abilities are definately not as good. Of course he has had his moments, and quite a few at that

The exact opposite of what I think. Switch the places of Mikael and Dan in this statement and you have my thoughts exactly.

Edit: Excluding the comparison between Edge Of Sanity and Opeth albums.

you cant put a poll for a singer against another singer in one of their bands forums without knowing the obvious results. put up a thread in the swano forum to tell them to come vote here

Swanö without a doubt, and as for why:

His diversity - songwriting, vocally, playing every instrument...

Because of Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, Moontower, and so on...

The fact that I would never have given Opeth or Katatonia a second chance if it hadn't been for the connections and Dan's recommendations...

And because Swanö's songs have a greater power to reach me and move me.

Originally posted by extensive desolation

and I think that you don't have the slightest idea what good music means.

You are a dumbass if you can't find at least some value in Swano's work. Moontower is one of my favourites and a testament to his brilliance. I would tell the Swano forum about this...but it is completely dead, for some reason theres hardly anyone posting there.

Sure this is all about discussion, but I don't like the "vs." in the thread.
I got so far that someone said that when you listen to stuff from Dan Swanö, you don't know what good music is or something. Or that he is just good in making metal. such a bullshit! Metal was never his main thing.

-- This is so retarded. Why don't we set up a ring and let them fight to the death like real men! --

thank mattcira for this post by the way. I had some good laughs. ;) Still have...

I voted for Akerfeldt because Opeth's albums constitute the best music I've ever heard. They are just on a higher plain for me than anything else.

I love Spectral, Crimson, Purgatory Afterglow (especially "Twilight" :D), and Moontower, and I recognize Swano's contributions to metal. He's one of my favorite musicians, but, for me, no one will ever touch Akerfeldt.

Originally posted by Static

Whys that?

By the sheer amount of work and versatility Swanö has. Clearly that alone doesn't constitue him being so much better but it is the fact that almost every project he has been part of is at least good if not great.

Also counted is the fact that Still Life and Blackwater Park are rather bland not counting a couple of songs.

Originally posted by MacMoney

By the sheer amount of work and versatility Swanö has. Clearly that alone doesn't constitue him being so much better but it is the fact that almost every project he has been part of is at least good if not great.

Also counted is the fact that Still Life and Blackwater Park are rather bland not counting a couple of songs.

THIS IS FAR BEYOND MY LIMITED COMPREHENSION