SYMPHONY X: NEW SONG AVAILABLE FOR STREAMING

As for the "it's a metal band" argument, seriously? How are songs like Inferno or Wicked or albums like V any less "metal" simply because they have clean vocals?

Kind of an aside but I don't really get this bit -older heavy songs like Inferno still did have harsh vocals, and newer heavy songs still have the clean vocals. It's not like he suddenly went from all clean singing to all harsh. I agree that having clean vocals doesn't make something less "metal" and I greatly prefer having more clean vocals, I just don't get the examples.

Anyway Paradise Lost is possibly my favourite Symphony X album - I don't dislike it at any rate. So me saying The End Of Innocence sounds like more of the same isn't me being overly critical. Personally I'm happy with more of the same quality, since I think their heavy metal songs, their softer songs and their epics are of roughly the same caliber from DWOT onwards (in fact the heavy metal songs probably get better as they go on). The only problem I might have is that I think they will have too few epics and softer songs and too many heavy metal ones.

tl;dr - Clean-vocal-Symphony X and harsh-vocal-Symphony X are both as good now as they always were, I just would prefer more focus clean-vocal-Symphony X.

I just love that there are more keyboard parts in this song than on Paradise Lost as a whole [/over-exaggeration]. I really like the weird clicking synth-thing going on during the bridge and following interlude.

This. I was listening to the bridge the other day, which is by far my favorite part of the song, and was wondering the same thing. Its a strange effect/sound going on with the keys but it really goes well with the track. Love it!

p.s. - I don't know what you call what he does with his voice during the bridge, but the way he sort of drags and draws the lyrics out sounds fantastic.

I agree with the prior observations that this song could have been released on earlier discs. Nothing really new here. As usual, great individual performances including Russell Allen but very familiar in the composition. I hope there will be more to consider when the rest of the material is finally out. I really love this band but don't want to hear them doing the status quo.

Constant crying and bitching about the band doesn't make you a fan. It makes you a troll.

My only real gripe about "End of Innocence" is that the bass guitar doesn't really do anything unique in the song. I guess I'm just a troll and not a fan.

;)

This. I was listening to the bridge the other day, which is by far my favorite part of the song, and was wondering the same thing. Its a strange effect/sound going on with the keys but it really goes well with the track. Love it!

You can hear it the best in the interlude after the "feel my pain" part. I've never heard Pinnella use a patch like that, but I like it! Also, gotta love the dissonant chords in the background during this part; not sure if it's the keys or the guitar, though.

pretty different guitar solo.

Like I've written before I like this song. some parts are pretty reminiscent to V-stuff and that automatically makes it a winner.

Constant crying and bitching about the band doesn't make you a fan. It makes you a troll.

I really still can't see what made you and "sweepkid" so butthurt. :err: What constant crying and bitching? I like the song. I saved it. I can't wait to get the whole album. I consider Russel to be the best metal vocalist alive. I just happen to prefer his older style. The only word I can think of to describe that style is "cleaner". I even implied that a part of this song does have that.

Fighting over music is pretty retarded, the internet is already full of that. Let people speak freely and passionately, it's not up to you to decide who's a fan and who's not.

I realize there are people here (especially newcomers) who still feel like Symphony X are the gods of the universe and who may not take anything other than praise to the band well. I will try to be more subtle in my critical remarks if that helps.

I've never heard Pinnella use a patch like that, but I like it!

I kinda noticed that and like it as well. :)

I'm sensing there will be some cool stuff by Pinnella on this record!

Lets put it this way. Everyone has right to tell their opinion about the band or about the new songs. But just seems many of u almost think the band as some product, trying to find every single flaw about the production, playing, singing or whatever. Thats not real fan if u ask me :)

They're probably treating it like Set the World...'s spiritual successor (no surprise since it's a second track as well). Reminds me a lot of Set the World... and Revelation.

From the album, ICONOCLAST. Out on June 17th (Europe) and June 21, 2011 (North America). Available at Amazon (support the band!!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to this 3 or 4 times now. Like PL, not something I'd listen to again. Think I'll hold off on this release until I hear the rest of it. Don't want to waste money on yet another album I'm never going to listen to. Sigh .. I had hoped that they'd return to their melodic, symphonic, past and ditch the direction they took with PL.

I'm 100% convinced now that trying to debate with people who revere the PL album as SX's best work or this song as indicative of the band in their ultimate element is like rubbing my head against a cheese grater. So you all can HAVE this one.

I'm 100% convinced now that trying to debate with people who revere the PL album as SX's best work or this song as indicative of the band in their ultimate element is like rubbing my head against a cheese grater. So you all can HAVE this one.

And I'm convinced anyone who thinks PL is their best work probably has been rubbing their head against a cheese grater!

Listened to this 3 or 4 times now. Like PL, not something I'd listen to again. Think I'll hold off on this release until I hear the rest of it. Don't want to waste money on yet another album I'm never going to listen to. Sigh .. I had hoped that they'd return to their melodic, symphonic, past and ditch the direction they took with PL.

Thanks for being honest, 100% agreed.

Agreed.

12141.jpg

However, I will still buy the album to support the band. They have been my favourites for 10 years and I'm not about to abandon them just because it is not, for me, the ultimate release.

agree with this.

everything sounds pretty rehashed.

obviously, if you like the SX style, they will probably never release anything "shitty," but, as a SX fan of over a decade, this sounds like they are going through the motions.

Hopefully the rest of the album will be more interesting.