Testing samples that I've recorded, opinions?

Kalapuikko

Kuru
Mar 5, 2008
Finland
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3603462/KuruKit first test.mp3

I had a drum session recently, where we of course sampled the kit. I spent yesterday and today slicing them up and testing different processing. Shells are from the drummers kit (kick, snare and 4 toms) and the cymbals are Metal Machine.

Reason I'm posting this is that I've been toying with an idea of making my own drum samples, possibly for sale if they would turn to be good enough. I don't have my own studio, but I thought that if I'd get at least my own money back selling them I could book a day in a commercial studio to make them.

Of course before thinking about that more seriously I'd like to get some feedback about these ones, would you think they could be useful? (And what to improve, if something comes to mind?)

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to listen.

Sounds good (i especially like the kick)
You could totally sell them...one can never have enough samples :rofl:

Sounds good (i especially like the kick)
You could totally sell them...one can never have enough samples :rofl:

Thanks! Kick was mic'd with D112 inside and 414 outside, OH's were SM81 and rooms were T-bone ribbon mics in blumlein as close ambience and 414-pair in blumlein as far ambience. Although theres only a little of OH's and room in that kick sample.

True that about never having enough samples! :) It's also great that we have in this forum so many fucking awesome samples at sale for very reasonable prices, (CJ, RevoltStudios, LSD etc..) it surely broadens the palette from the usual Superior/SSD samples!

Well, might have to let go of the idea of selling samples.. Started to check the legal part of, taxes etc. and it gets so fucking complicated that at least for now I don't see it worth all the hassle. Bummer though, I was starting to have a lot of ideas considering it and booking commercial studio to make samples.

Thanks guys! When I have the time I'll share at least the kick wav's and tci. for Sneap forum.

Can't wait to get mixing this record, the drummer was super consistent so I don't have to replace kick at all. Even the double bass parts come through
nicely, it was quite a pleasure working with him.