The Animation Appreciation Thread

CiG

Aaaaaaaah!
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
sfsf.jpg

Just wanted to put this up while I have the time to do so.

It'd be cool to have an entire thread dedicated to animation of all sorts, like cartoons to CGI to claymation and so on.

Possible topics to get it all going:
  • Upcoming animated films/shows
  • Anime appreciation
  • Animation in video games
  • Discussion about CGI in films/good examples vs. bad examples of it
  • Crossover projects like Son of Zorn

If you guys ever want to watch the anime equivalent of Crystal Logic, check out the early 90s adaptation of Arslan Senki. It's only a 6-episode OVA and the plot is kind of a mess and the animation isn't super fluid or anything but it's gorgeously directed with great scene composition and character designs etc etc. It really feels ancient and mist-shrouded like some old heavy metal album like Crystal Logic or Irae Melanox. I imagine there are some people on this site who would dig it. The newer Arslan Senki anime feels so fucking sterile by comparison I couldn't watch it at all.

First episode on youtube:

I love the aesthetic of cel-animated anime and one of the best examples of that I can think of is Yu Yu Hakusho. The visuals of that series were just completely bonkers. 15:30-19:00 of this video explains pretty well why it's the most badass goddamn thing ever.

I still mourn the death of cel animation. I haven't seen anything digital that even comes near this in sheer badassness with the lone exception of the 2012 adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, which was able to transcend the lifelessness of digital animation with its excellent direction and truly outrageous color composition.

let us begin with the ultimate....

Contemplate+existence+ponder+infinity+ponder+harder+i+ve+seen+deeper+repose+_c32065567ac439198d203c5447e1ece6.jpg

Last edited:
Discussion about CGI in films/good examples vs. bad examples of it
The one example I always go to that's in favor of it when used correctly is Hollow Man. While some of the larger scale effects like the gorilla coming back into form and Kevin Bacon's initial transformation into invisibility do have somewhat of an original PlayStation graphics kind of look to them, by and large the use of digital effects in the film are still to this day incredible. Whenever Bacon's form is outlined through various elements, ala water, smoke or blood, its a pretty marvelous sight.

hollowman5.jpg

That's fucking inspired.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Not sure if the Xavier Renegade Angel choice was ironic just because this thread explicitly seems to focus on animation itself, but that's the only Adult Swim comedy I've ever actually found funny. Only watched like the first 6 or so episodes though, should get back on that.

i was being slightly ironic but i unironically love the show. and as an extension of the content, the hideous animation of X:RA is immune to criticism.

you not a space ghost c2c fan then?

metallica ep:

hulk hogan and slash ep:

Last edited:
I watched Space Ghost Coast to Coast when it was on regular Cartoon Network, but I don't really remember why I watched it.

the best adultswim thing of all might be fishcenter IMO but it's not really animated so not super relevant here. basically it's a call-in talkshow hosted by various adultswim staff revolving around tropical fish swimming around a fish tank in their HQ offices. the fish get points whenever they touch coins superimposed onto the tank, among other things. it's rich in lore and audiovisual insanity, has a burnt out chilled out vibe that's attracted a passionate core fanbase of maybe a few hundred people max (all alone, awake at weird hours, got nothing to live for, etc), waka flocka flame guest starred on there a few months ago for no possible reason i can fathom. it's an existential cesspit and a work of genius, i still can't really believe it exists. you can watch it on the adultswim site every weekday at 4pm ET.

just to stop this post being completely off-topic... here's a thing that's worth mentioning as the voice of wallace recently died:
moment_TWT_dtop.jpg

i like the whole series of films, but that one in particular is a glorious mix of expressive characterisation, creepiness and buster keaton-level set piece construction.

Somewhat off-topic but I just found out that Seiji Yokoyama passed away this year.

YOKOYAMA3__2008_RAGEN_BLUE_RECORDING.jpg

Many of his soundtracks are my favourite anime soundtracks. What a loss, he was still active too in the business.

If you guys ever want to watch the anime equivalent of Crystal Logic, check out the early 90s adaptation of Arslan Senki. It's only a 6-episode OVA and the plot is kind of a mess and the animation isn't super fluid or anything but it's gorgeously directed with great scene composition and character designs etc etc. It really feels ancient and mist-shrouded like some old heavy metal album like Crystal Logic or Irae Melanox. I imagine there are some people on this site who would dig it. The newer Arslan Senki anime feels so fucking sterile by comparison I couldn't watch it at all.

First episode on youtube:

I'm 100% sure I have seen this and looking at my "anime's I've watched" list I have it as started but not finished. But I can't really remember a single thing about it, not even character design or anything. Guess it's time to rewatch it.... when I get the time. : d