The Barnes & Nobles 50% Off Haul

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Barnes & Nobles sent it's members a coupon today good for 40% off unlimited quanities of cds in it's retail book stores for this weekend only. You also get an extra 10% off on top of that with your regular membership discount. You aren't going to get the "metal" selection, but my tastes run far and wide. The half price haul:

Drive By Truckers- Southern Rock Opera (2 cd set): Southern rock meets jam band with a bit of folk. Lynard Skynard meets "The Wall."

Ultimate Santana- Greatest Hits package. Always loved his guitar plus I wanted to sing "way oh way oh way" along with Chad Kroeger

Pearl Jam- Lost Dogs (2 cd set)- B-sides & rarities. I am Eddie Vedder's bitch.

Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos: Just never bothered because I stopped with Scenes from a Memory for the most part.

The Best of Miles Davis & John Coltrane (1955-1961): The wife asked for a bit of jazz. I chose the best.

The Essential Willie Nelson (2 cd set)- "Whiskey River take my mind..." 'Nuff said.

Kenny Chesney- Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates- JB will official pass the torch one day. Even though he doesn't write his own stuff, KC is the only one close to run with it.

Travelogue: Blues Traveler classics- "Oh yeah...why you wanna give me the run-around?" Excellent swimming pool/beer drinking music.

Jack Johnson- Sleep Through the Static- James Taylor meets solo Eddie Vedder. It makes for nice background music while I'm working on the computer.

Cash- The Legend (4 cd box set)- 104 tunes from The Voice.

Barnes & Nobles sent it's members a coupon today good for 40% off unlimited quanities of cds in it's retail book stores for this weekend only. You also get an extra 10% off on top of that with your regular membership discount. You aren't going to get the "metal" selection, but my tastes run far and wide....

Did the coupon arrive via e-mail? Or by snail mail?

I'm a B&N Member and I haven't received one yet. If I do, and it's not just a regional promotion, I'll be there. My tastes are similar to yours (the 4-CD Johnny Cash box set is amazing...ditto for Drive-By Truckers...and my wife is a Kenney Chesney fan from way back), so I'd be there in a second to stock up.

Come on coupon! :headbang:

Bill

while a majority of what you nabbed does not appeal to me in the least, there is one thing I wholeheartedly agree with:
The Essential Willie Nelson (2 cd set)- "Whiskey River take my mind..." 'Nuff said.
:worship: Red Headed Stranger is still one of my all time favorite albums of any genre - including my beloved metal.

Glenn, we may have to get together soon for a Willie Nelson listening party! Whooo! :tickled:

My tastes of course are very narrow, metal and classical, (very small scattering of others) but Barnes and Noble is my second home and they have a good classical selection so this is good news!

Ultimate Santana- Greatest Hits package:

Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos: Just never bothered because I stopped with Scenes from a Memory for the most part.

The Best of Miles Davis & John Coltrane (1955-1961):

The Essential Willie Nelson (2 cd set)-

Travelogue: Blues Traveler classics- "Oh yeah...why you wanna give me the run-around?" Excellent swimming pool/beer drinking music.

Jack Johnson- Sleep Through the Static- James Taylor meets solo Eddie Vedder. It makes for nice background music while I'm working on the computer.

Cash- The Legend (4 cd box set)- 104 tunes from The Voice.

Santana, Miles & Coltrane, Willie Nelson, Cash: Some nice classics there!

Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos: IMO, this and Octavarium are easily the best material they've done since SFAM, spend some time with this and you'll be glad you did, more musical then 6 Degrees and Train of Thought overall. They're masters and in top form and the new stuff shows it.

Blues Traveler, Jack Johnson: both really good kick back pool music, hey Jack lives in Hawaii, can't get more kick back vibe than that...

Pearl Jam- Lost Dogs (2 cd set)- B-sides & rarities. I am Eddie Vedder's bitch.

Excellent choice. Huge PJ fan here, for $10, those CDs are really worth it.
Hopefully I can continue my amazing streak of amazing finds at Barnes and Noble with some rare finds, but I don't think I'll ever see anything as rare as a Timo Kotipelto album there.

I freaked when I walked in there, loading up everything I ever even thought of listening to...

Then I wised up and only bought stuff I know I'll dig:

Grateful Dead - Three From the Vault

Grateful Dead - Live At the Cow Palace: New Year's Eve 1976

Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera (their latest, Brighter Than Creation's Dark totally blew me away so I had to pick up another of their classics)

Love is the Song We Sing -- an extremely fine 4-CD box set chronicling the 1960s San Francisco music scene.

I toyed with buying the Uncle Tupelo catalog, more Dead, and a few obscure Celtic Harp/Celtic music CDs. But those would have been of interest. The Dead's live stuff flips all my switches. I dig jam bands.

I saved something like $70 on this haul. Can't beat half-price CDs!

Bill

I was told my the person in the Music section of my local B&N that they didn't go to everyone. I got one, and so did my wife.

I got a bunch yesterday morning:

Kansas - Leftoverture
Kansas - Point of Know Return
Aerosmith - Greatest
Janis Joplin - Greatest
Godsmack - Godsmack
Eric Johnson - Bloom
Rush - Test For Echo
Rush - Roll The Bones
Rush - Counterparts
Rush - Presto

Not bad for $75... Going to the other local B&N tonight with the second coupon...

Sarah Brightman - "Symphony"
Led Zeppelin - "Mothership"

We actually don't have a music department at the local B&N, so the selection was limited. Nonetheless, I am happy with what I bought - I just wish I had more choices.

We actually don't have a music department at the local B&N, so the selection was limited. Nonetheless, I am happy with what I bought - I just wish I had more choices.

Could have been a good excuse for an Atl. roadtrip! :heh:

BTW, it's your fault that I couldn't take part in this 50%-off haulage....all those years of you, a former B&N employee, railing against your own employer's pay-for-it discount program, so I never joined!

:lol: j/k