The Halo Effect - New Album 2023/2024

I'm sure there are some, but their sound probably wasn't that great to begin with. In terms of THE they've never said they are going to innovate or create something new and unheard of. They've been quite consistent in saying they just want to play what they believe they do best. That's pretty much DOTL, so there shouldn't be any expectation for anything hugely different on the next album.

Reactions: Xpyro125
Yes. It's like, let me compare this to another of Jesper's band. If DZ were to release a new album, would anyone complain about it being 10 songs 3 minutes each of pure melodeath? There's no surprise there but we still enjoy the music and that's what really matters.

Jesper has been saying there's gonna be new DZ really soon for about 15 years now... one day :rofl: and it'll end up being like ASOP Part 2.

I don't think the band is active anymore. How much time has passed since he announced it's continuation? 5 years? More?

Their last shows and album were in 2007, so technically they've been inactive for 17 years now. I know when Cyhra started he was talking about working on new songs, but I think only he and the drummer were interested in recording anything at the time. I doubt we'll ever hear another DZ album, realistically. Jesper would need to be the driving force, and I don't think he has that in him nowadays. He can play a bit-part role in bands like THE/Cyhra, and that's probably as much as he can do.

I'm pretty much okay with that, too. I think even if a new DZ album came out it wouldn't match their original stuff. Sometimes it's just best left alone.

Their last shows and album were in 2007, so technically they've been inactive for 17 years now. I know when Cyhra started he was talking about working on new songs, but I think only he and the drummer were interested in recording anything at the time. I doubt we'll ever hear another DZ album, realistically. Jesper would need to be the driving force, and I don't think he has that in him nowadays. He can play a bit-part role in bands like THE/Cyhra, and that's probably as much as he can do.

I'm pretty much okay with that, too. I think even if a new DZ album came out it wouldn't match their original stuff. Sometimes it's just best left alone.
I get the feeling DZ was to return as a studio-only band with Jesper, the drummer, and Andreas from Amaranthe on vocals, but yeah, the rest is (the lack of) history.

Freedom Call doing it right. New album announced, album artwork released, first single dropped. Album out on May 10th - just under three months, plenty of time for another one or two singles to come out beforehand.

Pretty much exactly how it should be. How difficult is it, really. Nuclear Blast?

Reactions: A88
DT's new single artwork is... very DT.

1709291260863.png

Nice visual though, similar to Moment in style. Remains to be seen if the music follows in the same footsteps. The single drops March 7th.

Reactions: drawntoblack
It was posted on an MDM Facebook group. Oddly nothing that I can see from DT's official FB page, but they've posted a picture saying "March 7" on their Insta, so I assume it's legit.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
Listened to a preview of the new DT song. I have never agreed with the takes that anything they've done post-WATV sounds remotely like Damage Done, Character, Fiction, etc. Zero resemblance aside from Stanne's vocals. It might as well be two completely different bands to me. But what I heard actually has a very Damage Done feel.

Cheers! Thanks for sharing.

Song goes a bit too quickly into verse-chorus-verse after what I thought was an interesting intro, but overall this is a very nice surprise. :thumbsup:

So Mikael has a new band, Cemetery Skyline which seems to have a dark, gothic sort of sound. First single will be out early April. I’m quite looking forward to checking this out.

Jeez, he certainly isn't slowing down. DT, THE and now another new band. His voice must be doing well. I guess that switch to a different style in the early 2000s really did have big benefits for him. Wondering if he'll be growling in this new band or going with cleans? His cleans would definitely work in a gothic-themed project.

Chaoszine has an article on what details have been revealed so far— Which isn’t really much aside from the members and subgenre. The band has a Facebook and Instagram page, but those don’t have much aside from what’s said above, as well as an 11 second YouTube video on their channel.

The members are:

- Mikael Stanne, no surprise there, we all know his works (I forget if Grand Cadaver is also still active or not, but they released an album in August, so I’ll assume they are)
- Santeri Kallio, keyboardist of Amorphis (Still haven’t listened to them)
- Victor Brandt, bassist of Dimmu Borgir (Haven’t listened to them either)
- Markus Vanhala, guitarist of Insomnium (Love them), Omnium Gatherum (I won’t lie, I do not get the love for the band whatsoever), and I Am the Night (Also haven’t listened to them)
- Vesa Ranta, former drummer for Sentenced (Like them, but haven’t been able to get into them), current drummer of The Abbey and Kuumet, neither of which I’ve even heard of

I’m going to just make the assumption that at least someone else here has listened to more of the bands than I have, but yeah, it’s a supergroup. It’ll definitely come down to Vanhala’s guitarwork to see if I enjoy them or not, and I have no idea how that’ll go.

I imagine that Stanne will be using clean vocals on this, but we'll see. As a big fan of Sentenced, Amorphis, Katatonia, Type O Negative and others in that vein, I'm looking forward to this. I think it has the potential to be really good.

Vanhala is a too happy sounding guitarist for a gothic band.

Anyway, glad to see so much stuff happening except, you know, that "early 2024" release of the new THE album. 😁

This could be a decent project musically, I know Stanne is a big fan of Sentenced, DT even covered them at some point.
Vanhala is a good dude and I've been following his stuff for a long time now but for every truly stellar melody he writes there are 20 others that are completely similar to one another and completely mediocre. Best analogy I could make is that in a year or two when AI becomes more proficient at making music, when you enter in the prompt "write me a melodic death metal song", it will shit out something like Omnium Gatherum. All the ingredients are there, it's all the right notes and they do make sense melodically and rhythmically but nothing stays with you once it's gone and you can't see how could a human being make that and be completely satisfied with the outcome.

When he joined Insomnium I really grew to dislike his overplaying with the whammy bar, he uses it way too much and I feel it would benefit him a lot if he quit it altogether. Also out of all the modern bands and guitar players and youtube videos, he is the player who is constantly out of tune, constantly hitting wrong notes, constantly half-assing his effort and taking shortcuts with his playing. Which is hilarious once you consider how simplistic Insomnium music is on the technical proficiency side of things.

Amorphis (Still haven’t listened to them)
Few (more recent music of theirs) recs off the top of my head, also keyboards are a big part of Amorphis's sound: