The Lotus Eater Ending

So how many endings on the album are being disliked so far already? ... pretty much all of them from what I gather. It's pretty clear that they put some experimental gimmicks on there, something they haven't done before except for the "ending" of BTPISIO. It's something to get used to, but it doesn't ruin the songs at all. They are simply more chaotic that way, without clear cut starts and endings and various disruptions throughout it.
But hey, wasn't experimenting and doing different things exactly what most people were hoping for? Or at least something everyone mentioned when asked about their favourite band Opeth ...

So how many endings on the album are being disliked so far already? ... pretty much all of them from what I gather. It's pretty clear that they put some experimental gimmicks on there, something they haven't done before except for the "ending" of BTPISIO. It's something to get used to, but it doesn't ruin the songs at all. They are simply more chaotic that way, without clear cut starts and endings and various disruptions throughout it.
But hey, wasn't experimenting and doing different things exactly what most people were hoping for? Or at least something everyone mentioned when asked about their favourite band Opeth ...

i didnt really hear about anyone disliking this ending as much as just wondeirng what the hell is being said. and the heir apparent ending is kind of love/hate. alot of people think its amazing, and others thinks its kinda disconnected and doesnt flow...but ive seen more people who like it than hate it.

the porcelain heart ending...is normal...

actually, to be honest, i like the ending to all of them (though i may skip after the talkibng portion of the lotus eater starts, its not that i think its bad or anything....i kinda just want to get to the next song, haha.

that being said, i think opeth delivered on the three things that people asked for most in the 'what do you want to see' kind of topics. More unique use/larger role of Per, a bit more experimentation (which we got both musically and vocally), and blast beats (heh...). hell, mendez is a bit higher in the mix too, which im sure a good bit of people asked for.

but...people will complain...not everyone wants the same thing.

Leeks are like green onions.

No idea what that has to do with this thread.

I actually thought it was Mike doing the Spanish talking. I think it sounds like his voice. On the other hand, Mendez makes a lot more sense :p

I actually thought it was Mike doing the Spanish talking. I think it sounds like his voice. On the other hand, Mendez makes a lot more sense :p

I cannot see Mike talking in Spanish with obvious South-American accent :lol: It has to be Mendez, for sure.

Why not? You can take Spanish in school here, and most teachers opt for the SA variant since it's a bit easier on the tongue (less "exotic" phonemes like the heavy lisps and ll-sounds). I guess the number one reason for it to be Mendez is the fact that there's really no clear Swedish accent, which you find in Mike's English. I still think when he says something "nada", it sounds just like Mike's voice.

But yeah, I'm aware that it's probably Mendez :p

The ending reminds me a lot of a bunch of different endings on various concept album songs, actually.

As soon as I heard it, I thought, "yup, so it's going to be a concept album."

Not sure if I was right, though. Mike seems vague on whether it is or isn't.

without clear cut starts and endings and various disruptions throughout it
= exact first spin impression

How've you guys done this? The only thing I've been able to distinguish is Mike's? laughs, the fakey laugh and the sigh at the end!

I do like the creepy intrumental and the atmosphere created, feels a bit lonely even though it sounds like they're in a room full of conversation.