The "Mike's Growls" thread?

I agree, Mike def has the greatest growl imo. King Richard is right about the tecnique, if you do it right it doesnt really kill your throat at all, this is what I work at when I growl, and striving for the tecnique definately makes it sound good. Mikael obviously does it right lol. For tips on growling, I suggest reading the How to Properly Growl thread in the Bloodbath forums. Theres a video of me growling, as well as other peoples growls in there somewhere if you decide to check it out.

Thanks. I've already watched the Melissa Cross vids on youtube, thanks Shemsu'Hor but they didn't help that much. It's great how they can keep it going. Couldn't find anything on how to prolong it but heard that you can't let your throat dry up and stuff..so lotsa saliva. Will check out that thread on the Bloodbath forums.

There are some great growlers out there, like Peter Tägtgren and Johan Hegg, but none come close to Mike's unique growl. What I love most about his growling is that it's not just there to "make it death metal", which is a vibe that, for some reason, I get often when I listen to death metal.
He uses the death growl when it's good, when the song should be heavy and the grunting would fit in. It's always complimented by great guitar work and never seems like an afterthought but like an integral part of the music.
His range is also, well, downright spectacular. I like how he often goes from the deep growl to the high-toned one, always keeping variety and avoiding repetition and tedium. He can switch between his clean vocals and death growls in a split second and, when I saw them, he didn't lose his voice once.

He's a master of the art, really.

I tried to register at the official Nile forum but something got fucked up and I never got the confirmation e-mail. I was gonna send an e-mail to the webmaster but I completely forgot about it. I'll do it now.. Wow, I'm interesting.

Anyway:
Can someone please link me that growling-thread from the Bloodbath-forum? :)

Mike is the best vocalist in metal period.................Most death metal singers get tired towards the end of a show, and thier voice begins to sound strained and is not as good as it is on the recording. Mike is so consistent and during Opeth's live performances his vocals sound just as good, if not better than on thier recordings Imo.

As far as clean vocals go, Mike is untouchable in death metal. The growls are awesome, but there are some bands that have a really good growler too like Shape of Despair, Draconian, Amon Amarth, Ahab. Usually turns out they don't have good clean vocals at all so Opeth ftw.

As far as clean vocals go, Mike is untouchable in death metal. The growls are awesome, but there are some bands that have a really good growler too like Shape of Despair, Draconian, Amon Amarth, Ahab. Usually turns out they don't have good clean vocals at all so Opeth ftw.

There are other growlers out there that have both good growls and good clean vocals. They are rare though. Examples I can think of right now are Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity) and Christian Älvestam (Scar Symmetry).

There are other growlers out there that have both good growls and good clean vocals. They are rare though. Examples I can think of right now are Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity) and Christian Älvestam (Scar Symmetry).

Anders of In Flames pulls out both quite fine and moreover he can manipulate his voice on a wide range.

you're a fucking badass

or just an introverted tard who wears his ovaries on his sleeves when waging war on internet forums. enjoy looking like a dipshit.

God i find it really interesting how a post like: ''Mike is the 2nd best growler imo'' make rejects like you feel. Please, make some sense first, then start the flaming because otherwise it'll be hard to understand what the hell you are bitchin' about, you over-defensive cretin kid. get raped by your dad.

I really like Mikael's growl, but David Vincent ftw...IMO <--- I feel like I have to emphasize this now.