The Official Hurricane Ophelia Tracker Thread

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
After last years fiasco with Hurricane Ivan I thought I'd start a thread not to piss off and worry everyone but to educate everyone day to day. I really don't think it's going to be an issue at all this year. Especially given the information below. I will update the info every day so we all know what's going on. This info will be for those obviously flying in the most but I will also include those driving as well.

****Hurricane Ophelia Tracking Info as of 09/08/05 11:20 PM CST********

From The website of The National Weather Service
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high around 87.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low near 65.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.

I will update information as the days progress. As of today Thursday in the AM is given and nothing later.

**************Hurricane Ophelia***************

According to The National Weather service using NASA satellites as of 09/09/05 EST it has tracked it heading off the coast of Cuba heading just West of The Bahamas. It doesn't look too bad for us but let's pray for those less fortunate than us.

Not likely to be a problem for Atlanta at all. It's for those having to get past Ophelia to get to Atlanta. The current, very uncertain computer models have it drifting to the northeast from about now until the 13th(Tuesday). But then it may or may not double back and smack the US anywhere from Central Florida to Charleston. They have no idea when it will do that.

From http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

OK, now the "where will Ophelia go?" game. We are still at least four days from a possible landfall, and steering currents are weak, so the track forecast is highly uncertain. Data from the NOAA jet's high-altitude mission last night were used to help initialize the computer models today, and they are much more tightly clustered. This gives credence to the idea of a landfall in Georgia or South Carolina sometime in the Tuesday - Thursday timeframe. The NHC did not buy this initially, prefering to see another run of the models before committing to this idea. Now, however, they have come on-board and are also forecasting a landfall in South Carolina four days from now. Certainly, residents of Florida and North Carolina cannot breathe easy yet, until the models portray a more consistent picture of Ophelia's future track.

Looks like a miss, but rain is a still a possibility.

FROM CNN -- Ophelia reaches hurricane status 70 miles east-northeast of Cape
Canaveral, Florida, says the National Hurricane Center.

jhallum said:
From http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

OK, now the "where will Ophelia go?" game. We are still at least four days from a possible landfall, and steering currents are weak, so the track forecast is highly uncertain. Data from the NOAA jet's high-altitude mission last night were used to help initialize the computer models today, and they are much more tightly clustered. This gives credence to the idea of a landfall in Georgia or South Carolina sometime in the Tuesday - Thursday timeframe. The NHC did not buy this initially, prefering to see another run of the models before committing to this idea. Now, however, they have come on-board and are also forecasting a landfall in South Carolina four days from now. Certainly, residents of Florida and North Carolina cannot breathe easy yet, until the models portray a more consistent picture of Ophelia's future track.

Looks like a miss, but rain is a still a possibility.

South Carolina was my guess Wednesday and I'll stay with that. But I don't think it's going to be much of a storm. As far as hurricane's go that is. Let's hope not anyway.....:erk:

jhallum said:
On Thursday, no less. Ain't we just the lucky ones?
Never mind

The new NHC forecast has it going AWAY from Atlanta, not toward it. Should tell you how mercurial the forecasts are this far away from the event.

I'm not worried.

Actually, it's not that far from the event, which is why this is so frustrating. This bitch could come ashore at any time and they have little idea where. Forecasts yesterday had it still out to see as late as Wednesday, now they've got it coming ashore late Monday or early Tuesday.

It's supposed to do that until tomorrow, when it comes back west again.

Although now it finally looks like the models are in agreement. Carolinas. Before they were all over the place, from South Florida, to the Carolinas, to Bermuda.

And now they're totally lost again, as they have it going anywhere from South Carolina to CApe Hatteras back out to sea.

At least the chances of a Georgia hit are now slim.