the official movie thread

Black Core

Sir MIMA & Leo Godfather
Jan 27, 2006
Gierle (Belgium)
I see alot of movies these days cuz I don't work anymore and school hasn't started yet so I'd be happy talk along about some you saw cuz chances are high I've seen it too :)

Great idea, we needed a movie thread. I think the old site used to have one but don't quote me on that.

At the moment I'm looking forward to seeing the following:

The Golden Age
Atonement
The Other Boleyn Girl
Ratatouille

Now that summer is nearly over and most of the kids are back at school we should getting some decent films in. It's been stupidly busy at work this summer. Hopefully, I should be able to have a bit more of a life and actually watch some films....

Watched ' Knocked Up' a couple of days ago. Damn, that was funny :lol: Anyone else see it? We Brits are so behind when it comes to films!

Uh.

I like.

Ninja turtles?

To borrow a page from Tel.. You?! I refuse to believe it! In the over 3 years i've known you i can't say that i have EVER heard you mention TMNT, nope not once.. *ahem* hehe.

Actually, i can't back that up. I was going to hinge that on the word "heard", but after the teamspeak server chat the other night with you singing the theme song.. :p

Lots of new films , I've been quite busy at work lately.
Recently I've watched

Stardust- better than I expected. Is it shallow of me to admit that it got a lot better when the hero got a makeover and turned from bowl headed geek to a bit of a hottie? It is, isn't it?:oops:

Eastern Promises- I really enjoyed it even though it was violent. I'm watching it again today.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age- I've been waiting for this all year and I was not disappointed at all. Cate Blanchett is excellent and I was gripped all the way through. The Blanchett:worship:notworthy:worship:

I might try and catch 30 Days of Night later on in the week if I can as well.

Had the misfortune to watch ' Beowulf' twice this week. Can I just say: candidate for 'worst film ever'?

I haven't seen it. I'm not one for movies in general, but precisely because the reason i'm sure this sucked: general inaccuracy and being dumbed down for audiences is something that i cannot tolerate (i went to rotten tomatoes as i wrote this post, and sure enough i found a few reviews to back up this sentiment).

This must be especially true to English eyes, where the story of Beowulf is a national epic. Hell, it's practically a mythology most everywhere else too. A fair thing, considering that the story is a blend of fiction and real historic events. I can only imagine all the kiddies who run to see this and walk out afterwards feeling as if they are suddenly history or mythology scholars. I would say that people should be made to read the actual epic before seeing the movie, but it is hardly a stretch to declare that it is beyond most of them.

Not only did they make it stupid, constantly undermining the storyline for cheap sexual innuendo. Beowulf wasn't a hero at all , he was a crook. How in hell we were meant to have any sort of sympathy for a character like that I don't know. Plus the fact that Ray Winstone as Beowulf seemed incapable of finishing a sentence.
(sample: I am . Beowulf and I'm here to kill yer Monster!)
Frankly it made him seem thick as pig shit. now, I've seen him in other things and he can act so I can only surmise it was the godawful screenplay and direction.

Talk about a wasted opportunity!

3D glasses for seeing people ripped to shreads and thrown at you? SURE!

Of course it was fluff, the story itself has always been fluff. The reason we read it (500 times) in classes is because it was the first thing written in the english language--not because it is filled with complexities and deeper meanings. And yes, I had to read the damn thing in Old English ^_~ Se kuning this, se kuning that... >_>

It didn't have to be dumbed down for the movies...it was already dumbed down as a story to keep the masses entertained. If anything, they gave it depth by giving the female characters a personality rather than just Vagina #1 and Vagina #2 as well as adding subplots (cheesy though they were).

I was impressed that they had the monsters talk in Old English. The only problem with that was it got my mind stuck on a video about Old English that I had to watch and one segment of it kept repeating over and over again in my head -_-;;

Really, the one thing that bugged me was only from a purist point of view--the mentions of Christianity. The original story had no references to that religion, I believe because it didn't exist at that point or hadn't spread to that area of the world or something (my historical chronology is atrocious, sorry). I specifically remember reading several versions of Beowulf and it was in one of the later versions that Christianity was mentioned. They did keep some of the individualist quotes though.

It really was what I expected it would be....I mean, the source material isn't rocket science ;p

IS BATMAN OUT YET? I REALLY WANT TO SEE BATMAN!!!

I heard that The Mist was awesome... originally we were going to see that instead of Beowulf but it wasn't playing.

Anyone seen 30 Days of Night? I heard good things about the comic and I keep getting surprised that they really did make it into a movie.

It didn't have to be dumbed down for the movies...it was already dumbed down as a story to keep the masses entertained. If anything, they gave it depth by giving the female characters a personality rather than just Vagina #1 and Vagina #2 as well as adding subplots (cheesy though they were).

There's no denying that it was created as pure entertainment, but there has been enough legitimate proven history, or at least people that existed (and places they were buried) put into the story to keeps scholars interested all these years. It's these fine points that would be completely lost on the movie goer.

Really, the one thing that bugged me was only from a purist point of view--the mentions of Christianity. The original story had no references to that religion, I believe because it didn't exist at that point or hadn't spread to that area of the world or something (my historical chronology is atrocious, sorry). I specifically remember reading several versions of Beowulf and it was in one of the later versions that Christianity was mentioned. They did keep some of the individualist quotes though.

I'll just quote from the Wikipedia entry: "it is now widely believed that Beowulf is the work of a single poet who was a Christian and that his poem reflects well-established Christian tradition." The cited source for this is "Abrams, M.H. & Greenblatt, Stephen (2000), The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Middle Ages (Vol 1), Beowulf., New York: W.W. Norton, pp. 29".

I'll borrow one more quote from the Wikipedia entry: "The events described in the poem take place in the late 5th century and during the 6th century after the Anglo-Saxons had begun their migration and settlement in England, and before it had ended, a time when the Anglo-Saxons were either newly arrived or in close contact with their fellow Germanic kinsmen in Scandinavia and Northern Germany."

Heh, the history and burial spots are lost on readers as well..... as many times as I've read it, we never really went over the potential of any of those spots existing except perhaps as a 'like the King Arthur of this area' throwaway quote.

Interesting that that came from Norton because it was the Norton text that we had -- although I don't know if our version was 2000. Maybe our information was outdated? =o I specifically remember that there was an early version that had no Christian references and a later version where the Christian references were obviously inserted. And the work of a single poet? Also interesting because I remember talking about a long standing oral tradition....part of why there were so many versions of it and if wikipedia starts saying there weren't a lot of versions out there I'm really going to start questioning its authenticity because I READ them @_@ I've never stumbled on wikipedia being unreliable before (much as I think the method of input leaves it wide open for error).

Oh the Wiki entry does talk about the oral tradition. It just believes the story originated from a single person who's name has been lost to time.

*nod* just like playing telephone, as a story gets retold over time (in this case, hundreds of years) it will change, possibly partially to suit the new time period and the individual storyteller.

I'm dying to see I Am Legend. I always daydream about what it would be like if suddenly I was alone in the world... I could drive the wrong way on the highway, I could dance naked in the street, I could sneak into everyone's homes. Well, I could do them *without being arrested* lol.

For further proof about how generally uninterested and out of the loop i am when it comes to movies (and pop culture in general), it was only yesterday that i found out that there was a 4th Die Hard movie called "Live Free or Die Hard" made this year. I always did love the Die Hard movies. I think John McClain is one of the best anti-hero style characters ever created.

As i watched the movie, i commented to myself the myriad of ways in which what was happening was complete bullshit, but it was still a fun movie in the realm of what i would call "hacker fiction" (and at least it attempted to be *slightly* more technical than other such offerings), worthy of the Die Hard legacy. I also got a chuckle out of both Tuvok playing a NSA agent, and Kevin Smith as "Warlock" (especially considering that he was referenced as a "jedi" and was called "their only hope". Hello star wars references. i wouldn't be surprised if Smith had a hand in those particular dialog choices).

Now, now, it's not just women who are treated like vaginas. Did anyone else see Spider-Man 3? Peter Parker, Harry Osborn, Sandman, Eddie Brock, a whole cast of male weeping vaginas!

I also got a chuckle out of both Tuvok playing a NSA agent, and Kevin Smith as "Warlock"
Yeah, and I though Timothy Olyphant played a great villain...cool actor, liked him since Deadwood. Right now I wanna see The Mist...heard very good things about this Stephen King adaptation...and I Am Legend looks interesting, and usually can't go wrong with Will Smith.