Let's leave this sinking ship together
The water of life will fill your lungs
Drink 'till you bleed
When contradictions fail to soothe

Half my life in your name
Fucked up and ready to die

Murder only takes a moment
It'll last you forever... YES! :kickass:

That riff in the latter half of the song is one of my fav's.

Fuck yeah. One of the best riffs ever period. Satyr is one of the best extreme metal guitarist just because that riff alone. Nothing i've heard in BM is that good let alone the entire Nemesis Divina album plus The Shadowthrone.

Haven't read past the first page, but my tuppence:

Enter the Eternal Fire
Lost Wisdom
Broderskapets Ring (the original)
Call of the Wintermoon video sums up most of black metal for me.
Freezing Moon
Behold the Vastness and Sorrow

yeah, more than one, but screw ya all. You can't represent black metal with a single song.

You think Black Metal is utterly hilarious that must mean.

Not quite... I think it sums up that black metal is grim and frostbitten in so many awesome ways, but that you'd have to be an idiot or fucked up to take it too seriously.

But we already established that it's what black metal means for you. Based on this, I think any song from Anthems To the Welkin At Dusk is a fine choice, even if it might not be traditional, pure black metal. As a whole, the album does represent much more than pure black metal; but it still has moments that retain the original essence.

But we already established that it's what black metal means for you. Based on this, I think any song from Anthems To the Welkin At Dusk is a fine choice, even if it might not be traditional, pure black metal. As a whole, the album does represent much more than pure black metal; but it still has moments that retain the original essence.

Absolutely true. However, it is not purely Black Metal, so it cannot accurately embody the original aesthetic. It represents what Black Metal can become, but not what it is.

Think of it as an inverse of Plato's cave. A song like "Funeral Fog" or "Det Som Engang Var" are the being of Black Metal, and a song like "The Loss And Curse of Reverence" is the becoming, only instead of becoming towards Black Metal, it's becoming from it.

Absolutely true. However, it is not purely Black Metal, so it cannot accurately embody the original aesthetic. It represents what Black Metal can become, but not what it is.

Think of it as an inverse of Plato's cave. A song like "Funeral Fog" or "Det Som Engang Var" are the being of Black Metal, and a song like "The Loss And Curse of Reverence" is the becoming, only instead of becoming towards Black Metal, it's becoming from it.

Wow. Well said. I understand what you're saying. I suppose I just enjoy what black metal can become more than traditional black metal. :cool:

putting aside the fact that anthems is a horrible piece of shit (and this really is inarguable), i'm with you on this zephyrus, even if you consider it the best album ever it simply does not embody black metal

same applies to storm of the light's bane