The what's going on in Thrash thread

Yeah I'm sure my parents are going stir crazy. They are usually either driving somewhere or flying somewhere. This is probably the longest they've been in one place since the 60's.

I can agree, we haven't gone that far in the last 5 years or so, but I do miss hitting the road. We've been discussing it and we really need to do it in the next year or two before either of the kids get into their last years of high school. But with Western Australia having no idea what they are doing with covid and us not wanting to drive across the country in summer when the kids do get 6 weeks off it's a bit up in the air.

No I already said I wont admit to being old. :p
I'll have to admit to cold blooded murder soon if the delivery guy doesn't turn up. Three fucking days my solar panel has been "out for delivery". For two days they've ignored my questions relating to delivery, and now I'm getting pissed off.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Fuck me it got even better. After waiting at home for three days I get a message at 3:30pm Friday arvo that the company attempted delivery and failed at 1:38pm. Of course I check the video footage, because I know I was home at that time, and there isn't even a van in the street let alone someone attempting delivery. At 6pm I get an email from ebay telling me the courier attempted delivery, couldn't and I need to contact them to go and get it. Pissed off I was! But not much I could do at 6pm on a Friday.

6:30pm there is a knock at the door it's someone with a parcel for me. My wife assumes it's the deliver man, but no, it's a guy who lives on the other side of town in a street that starts with the same letter as mine but shares almost no other letters with mine. Thankful for the honesty of a stranger we joke about how bad the service was he's off on his way thankful he doesn't have to explain to the missus that he really did order a huge solar panel. I get the thing inside and it's pretty obvious why they fuckers never delivered it, the glass covering the panel, about 4 foot x 3 foot, is shattered. Someone has dropped the fucker on it's corner and shattered the entire glass, lucky it's tempered glass and it held together and didn't end up everywhere. So they have dropped it, lied that they tried to deliver it, delivered it to another address, said it couldn't be delivered and was returned to the depot, and told me I have to make arrangements to come and get it. Such a trust worthy company.

I've got to find out what the seller wants to do first since technically they paid the courier. We have problems in this country with delivery drivers not delivering and the receiver has to pick up the parcel themselves. But I haven't before had one where their own lies have come unravelled so bloody easy. I'm sure I'll get the panel replaced, the company that sells them must have had broken panels arrive before, and I'll be happy to provide them with whatever they need to piss on the courier company.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
David Vincent from Morbid Angel, and now I Am Morbid because of silly band fighting, was 57 yesterday. He's too big and too much of a looming character on stage for me to call him an old bastard!

This doesn't actually belong anywhere on metal forums but I gotta say talking to Americans on a forum is way better than talking to Aussies. The big difference between Aussies and American's on forums is that Aussie's are nearly all fucking elitist prats. You Americans talk to just about anyone, on most Aussie forums the forum regs (high post counters) form clicky little groups and only talk to themselves.

I joined two bike forums a while ago, one Aussie, one US, because I was having a few issues with my bike. The Yanks not only answer questions from newbies they chit chat with all sorts topics and they convert metric to imperial to save me doing it, (which is fair since I have to do it for you lazy lot! :p ). They may not always be correct with their answers but they are happy to help none the less.

The fucking Aussies have their own little groups, they ignore as many questions as they can and they never respond when new users try to join the chit chat. But the really funny one is when someone does eventually answer a newbie question, every response that follows from the elite fuckwits, quote the long time user not the newbie who asked the question. Newbies also can't be right, or shed a new light on topics because they are always wrong.

It's not just the bike forum either, the two Aussie nerd forums (computers, networking, enterprise servers type stuff) I've been a part of for nearly 20 years do the same. The Aussie music forum I'm no longer a part of did the same. The 4wd forum I'm banned from :( is the same. We are just a bunch of entitled fucking wankers when we form groups on line!

This doesn't actually belong anywhere on metal forums but I gotta say talking to Americans on a forum is way better than talking to Aussies. The big difference between Aussies and American's on forums is that Aussie's are nearly all fucking elitist prats. You Americans talk to just about anyone, on most Aussie forums the forum regs (high post counters) form clicky little groups and only talk to themselves.

I joined two bike forums a while ago, one Aussie, one US, because I was having a few issues with my bike. The Yanks not only answer questions from newbies they chit chat with all sorts topics and they convert metric to imperial to save me doing it, (which is fair since I have to do it for you lazy lot! :p ). They may not always be correct with their answers but they are happy to help none the less.

The fucking Aussies have their own little groups, they ignore as many questions as they can and they never respond when new users try to join the chit chat. But the really funny one is when someone does eventually answer a newbie question, every response that follows from the elite fuckwits, quote the long time user not the newbie who asked the question. Newbies also can't be right, or shed a new light on topics because they are always wrong.

It's not just the bike forum either, the two Aussie nerd forums (computers, networking, enterprise servers type stuff) I've been a part of for nearly 20 years do the same. The Aussie music forum I'm no longer a part of did the same. The 4wd forum I'm banned from :( is the same. We are just a bunch of entitled fucking wankers when we form groups on line!
That's pretty funny. I always wondered why the few Aussies on the Anthrax forum pretty much ignored me skipped right over any post and talked to each other lol. By the way. I do appreciate your conversions. Because yes. I am a lazy bastard. :tickled:.
What's also funny is how other countries like yours and England and a few others call us all Yanks. Here it's something southerners call people from the Northeast like Neptune and I. I'm not actually sure what the mid west goes by though.
But I hear it a lot on British stuff referring to anyone in the US as a Yank.
Maybe our resident teacher knows? :)

Actually that Anthrax forum is a prime example, it's appears to be mostly Aussies and they really hate intruders.
Just don't ask me to convert something like AU dollars per litre of fuel to US dollars per gallon of gas, that's two separate calculations and too much pressure :p

Yeah Yanks is a bit of a lazy term for us. We probably all know the NY Yankies and Yankee doodle dandy, and we've probably heard it used in other contexts but not really known where it came from. The poms apparently stole it from the Dutch name Janke and aimed it as a put down at the Dutch settlers, it later got aimed at New Englanders. But we didn't get that memo :) These days many are probably afraid to use it in case it has some historical context that hurts someone's feelings. On the upside, if we use rhyming slang Yank becomes Septic Tank :)

It could be worse you could be named after a dog. It's news to me, but apparently Aussie comes from the term Australian Sheep dog and apparently we used it defensively at each other. I always thought we used it in a friendly manner. I know when I grew up there was iffy terms for many countries, Poms, Yanks and Aussies were the tame ones. Some of the names that got used were very defensive, but I don't really think too much offence was meant by Pom, Yank or Aussie.

Now you've got me edumakatin myself!

Yankee Doodle is an interesting one. I don't think we ever knew it as anything more than a 4 line poem but apparently it has 15 versus and a chorus, that puts today's songs to shame :)

In it's current form it was written in the mid 1700's long before it became a nursery rhyme and long long before it became a US state anthem. However some of the words and tune apparently date back to Dutch farmers in the 1400's, which confirms the 'yankee' connection to the Dutch language. The term doodle wasn't used in English until the mid 1600's, it was to play piece of music badly, kind of like it can be today. Dandies were men who placed importance on their looks and macaroni was a wig like fashion accessory.
Kind of makes one wonder what sort of state would want a song about a bad musician with a fancy wig as their state song.

But then the Brits got hold of it, because they know all about being upper class toffs, and they appropriated it as an unsophisticated person trying to be part of the upper class by only changing his hat. Something most Brits of the time wouldn's have accepted. Some experts claim this was the British saying the colonist American men were all womanly. Big call from a bunch of toffs which their nose in the air!!

The song was then used in the French - Indian War (1754) by British Officers to mock the American "Yankies" because they were dishevelled and disorganised. The Brits had the opinion of most American soldiers were Yankee simpletons who thought they could dress above their status. At the same time the American troops started to sing it as a song of defiance and they added words that mocked the British and hailed Washington as the Commander of the Continental Army and by 1781 they'd turned the song into a song of national American pride with 15 versus.

See I'm so uneducated, I always thought the song was about some American cartoon character that road a pony to town, found a feather and for some reason thought it was a piece of pasta. I had no idea it was about insults and pride.

It has been a while since I studied early American History in depth but all of what Slammed wrote sounds very familiar.

About a decade ago I read a book about the British Empire written by a British Historian. It was interesting to read a different perspective on the French-Indian War, and the American Revolution. If I recall correctly he attributed the American victory to American forces turning the conflict into a bush war.

Working on getting licensed to teach in Massachusetts and I have to take a bunch of tests. One of them is for History and I did pretty good on the practice test. It is rough though because I haven't taught American History in a decade and I have taught very basic World Geography and History for the last decade. There are some in depth questions about Colonial America, American Government, Economic Theory, and surprisingly quite a few about Renaissance Europe. Luckily, I took a class on the Renaissance a couple of years ago otherwise I would be stumped.

I think being exposed to ignorance and illiteracy on daily basis for 15 + years has caused my brain to atrophy. I feel like I have lost a lot of knowledge, haha.

Here it's something southerners call people from the Northeast like Neptune and I. I'm not actually sure what the mid west goes by though.

I think it is a general term for all Northerners. I had family from Alabama that I visited in the 1990s who acted and talked like it was still the 1890s and they referred to us as Yankees. I think they still haven't gotten over the Civil War down there, haha.

Actually that Anthrax forum is a prime example, it's appears to be mostly Aussies and they really hate intruders.
Just don't ask me to convert something like AU dollars per litre of fuel to US dollars per gallon of gas, that's two separate calculations and too much pressure :p

Yeah Yanks is a bit of a lazy term for us. We probably all know the NY Yankies and Yankee doodle dandy, and we've probably heard it used in other contexts but not really known where it came from. The poms apparently stole it from the Dutch name Janke and aimed it as a put down at the Dutch settlers, it later got aimed at New Englanders. But we didn't get that memo :) These days many are probably afraid to use it in case it has some historical context that hurts someone's feelings. On the upside, if we use rhyming slang Yank becomes Septic Tank :)

It could be worse you could be named after a dog. It's news to me, but apparently Aussie comes from the term Australian Sheep dog and apparently we used it defensively at each other. I always thought we used it in a friendly manner. I know when I grew up there was iffy terms for many countries, Poms, Yanks and Aussies were the tame ones. Some of the names that got used were very defensive, but I don't really think too much offence was meant by Pom, Yank or Aussie.

Now you've got me edumakatin myself!

Yankee Doodle is an interesting one. I don't think we ever knew it as anything more than a 4 line poem but apparently it has 15 versus and a chorus, that puts today's songs to shame :)

In it's current form it was written in the mid 1700's long before it became a nursery rhyme and long long before it became a US state anthem. However some of the words and tune apparently date back to Dutch farmers in the 1400's, which confirms the 'yankee' connection to the Dutch language. The term doodle wasn't used in English until the mid 1600's, it was to play piece of music badly, kind of like it can be today. Dandies were men who placed importance on their looks and macaroni was a wig like fashion accessory.
Kind of makes one wonder what sort of state would want a song about a bad musician with a fancy wig as their state song.

But then the Brits got hold of it, because they know all about being upper class toffs, and they appropriated it as an unsophisticated person trying to be part of the upper class by only changing his hat. Something most Brits of the time wouldn's have accepted. Some experts claim this was the British saying the colonist American men were all womanly. Big call from a bunch of toffs which their nose in the air!!

The song was then used in the French - Indian War (1754) by British Officers to mock the American "Yankies" because they were dishevelled and disorganised. The Brits had the opinion of most American soldiers were Yankee simpletons who thought they could dress above their status. At the same time the American troops started to sing it as a song of defiance and they added words that mocked the British and hailed Washington as the Commander of the Continental Army and by 1781 they'd turned the song into a song of national American pride with 15 versus.

See I'm so uneducated, I always thought the song was about some American cartoon character that road a pony to town, found a feather and for some reason thought it was a piece of pasta. I had no idea it was about insults and pride.

Wow, I had only a slight idea about most of that! I knew it was supposed to be derogatory, but not much clue why. And absolutely zero about the whole Dutch connection. I get the British using it as a put down, they used to love class put downs. In my lifetime I've never taken it as a slag. Especially by anyone from the south.Nor do I know anyone who has ever taken offense to it. I mean. Even when some people from the south say it like venom it means nothing. I mean. We won (in both cases). Say whatever you want lol.
I had no idea about the term Aussie either! I always just thought it was a cool nickname! Which by this point I think it basically is right?

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
It has been a while since I studied early American History in depth but all of what Slammed wrote sounds very familiar.

About a decade ago I read a book about the British Empire written by a British Historian. It was interesting to read a different perspective on the French-Indian War, and the American Revolution. If I recall correctly he attributed the American victory to American forces turning the conflict into a bush war.

Working on getting licensed to teach in Massachusetts and I have to take a bunch of tests. One of them is for History and I did pretty good on the practice test. It is rough though because I haven't taught American History in a decade and I have taught very basic World Geography and History for the last decade. There are some in depth questions about Colonial America, American Government, Economic Theory, and surprisingly quite a few about Renaissance Europe. Luckily, I took a class on the Renaissance a couple of years ago otherwise I would be stumped.

I think being exposed to ignorance and illiteracy on daily basis for 15 + years has caused my brain to atrophy. I feel like I have lost a lot of knowledge, haha.
Haha yeah. I have a lot of southern friends on the playstation and my brother in law is from Atlanta. But they are all really nice and cool. But there is for sure still parts of the south that is still fighting the civil war in their heads. I've been through there plenty of times. It's really like a different planet. Kind of shocking when you encounter it in real life, and sometimes a little scary. Everyone knew growing up that if you're going to be driving through certain parts of the south you don't want to have Connecticut plates on your car!
I think tv has actually helped change that a little in the previous few deaceds. They get more used to seeing and hearing people that are different and not the enemy. Even long hairs! But in the last decade it may have helped actually erode this with the rise of Fox news just drilling hate into everyone.

Hey good luck with all your tests! Teaching is such a tough and sometimes thankless job and you all deserve so much respect for doing it!
It's funny how your brain can slowly drain out isn't it? Hang around with the wrong crowd for a while and your knowledge can take a beating.