The woods of Ypres Blvd

WrathChld

Rehab is for quitters.
Mar 10, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.markcoatsworth.com
So, last weekend, I spontaneously decided to take a train to Detroit for a few days of urban exploration and busting into abandoned industrial buildings. It was a random but very well needed trip. On the way home, I found myself waiting for a train in Windsor, Ontario, with hours to kill and absolutely nothing to do...

... so I pulled up a map and decided to track down the woods on Ypres Blvd. where Dave and co. did the first Woods photo shoot many years ago and (I think?) partially inspired the name of the band.

So yeah, this is really nerdy, but I hope you all enjoy....

windsor_01.jpg

windsor_02.jpg

windsor_03.jpg

windsor_04.jpg

windsor_05.jpg

windsor_06.jpg

Always wanted to know why they choose Woods Of Ypres.
Been meaning to do some research about the bands name and try to understand their music better.

Special thanks =]

Great photos by the way, nothing nerdy about them. Haha

Yes indeed. The Battles of Ypres (also known as Paschendale -- should ring a bell for any Maiden fans) were a massive WWI slaughterfield in which unfathomable numbers of soldiers, many Canadians and Australians, died for a strategic advance of maybe several kilometers in an insignificant territory of Belgium.

Ypres was one of the major battles which filled the graveyards of Flanders Fields and hence inspired the poem; hence Canadian Remembrance Day (Remembrance Day, not Veterans' Day, because we all got killed).

Also worth noting that all Ypres Blvd. street signs in Windsor were adorned with a poppy. I'm kicking myself for not getting a photo of this.

Yes indeed. The Battles of Ypres (also known as Paschendale -- should ring a bell for any Maiden fans) were a massive WWI slaughterfield in which unfathomable numbers of soldiers, many Canadians and Australians, died for a strategic advance of maybe several kilometers in an insignificant territory of Belgium.

Ypres was one of the major battles which filled the graveyards of Flanders Fields and hence inspired the poem; hence Canadian Remembrance Day (Remembrance Day, not Veterans' Day, because we all got killed).

Also worth noting that all Ypres Blvd. street signs in Windsor were adorned with a poppy. I'm kicking myself for not getting a photo of this.

Yup, october - november 1914.

Actually, the allied forces, flanked by a hastily made "battlegroup" of French sailors, barely held their quickly dug threnches against the advancing Germans. This was pretty much the best, and last, place to stop the Germans.
The Channel was on the left, with the aforementioned French sailors holding the extreme left flank along with a few surviving Belgian units.
The French regular army held the right flank.
After a fierce battle, the allies pretty much held the lines, but with an extreme number of casualties, the allies losing around 80,000 (dead and wounded) and the Germans 41,000 dead!!!

Feel free to correct me, this is what I remember + a couple of look-ups in the John Keegan book: The First World War.

BTW. Great pics!!!