The World Cup Thread

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
The World Cup is finally here! Who are you rooting for? Who do you expect to win? Will Brazil ride the home crowd momentum to victory or will they choke under the pressure? Can Messi finally earn a major international trophy?

I'm personally rooting for Germany. I initially had them as my favorites, but with Neur, Schweinsteiger, and Lahm all recovering from injuries and Reus out, I'm getting nervous. They still have an insane group of attacking players. Right now my money would be on Argentina, but Spain, Germany and Brazil are all legit front-runners for the title.

While I hate patriotism with a passion, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to the World Cup. Sweden didn't make it, so I've lost all interest in watching it. I guess I'll root for Italy if only because of Pirlo, Veratti, Abate, and Sirigu. Good mix of experience and youth.

I can't stand watching Italy nationally, they dive like crazy. I'd be surprised if Spain didn't win but I usually just watch the games(as many as possible) and hope USA makes it out of the group stage.

I root for the US like most people, but once they're knocked out, I'll probably root for Germany (unless they're somehow eliminated before the US, but that's a pipe dream). If Germany gets knocked out, I'll root for whatever European team(s) is/are still left, as long as they're not Italy or Spain.

For today's game, I'm going to root for Croatia.

Might try and get out to a bar for some of the US and Mexico games. Super fun watching these games with rabid, liquored up fans.

Today's game should be fun. Croatia has some really talented players, so if they can handle the situation, it could be a good match. I could also see Brazil riding the crowd's momentum and hammering them.

Poor Croatia, but that has got to be some of the worst goalkeeping I have ever seen at this level of international play.

Croatia was in pretty good form for a good part, but was had by some bad reffing and horrible goalkeeping. As always, I want to see Brazil fail!

This sport isnt tops for me but my interest has always been casual-steady and has even increased the last few years. Totally love this event though.

Lets go USA of course. But its always been Italy and then Argentina for me.

I can't stand watching Italy nationally, they dive like crazy.
The Canadiens of soccer lol. Italy may have near mastered the art of diving but i kind of take it with a grain of salt...c'mon its soccer after all and your stating the obvious. Its universaly done by all at this level. Look at the Brazil player in the box today, great acting job...it led directly to a goal. I marvel at times at these elite players and think the sport and its players are actually tougher than most fans think, but the diving and drama stuff is just hilarious!

Yeah I thought the goalie was alright tbh. And yeah, that penalty. A match decided by fucking acting. It's a stupid sport though anyway.

So Mexico's playing Cameroon right now and they shot two goals already, both dismissed by the refs. I haven't seen the first one but the commentators said they were both valid.

So yeah.

They gotta have replays for penalties, I don't get why they don't already.

God no...theyd be reviewing things all day long. They just need to ref / call the game differently. Send the message ro players "enuff of playing shit up". I mean what other sport can you get taken off on a stretcher only to return minutes later. Cleaning that shit up would help the pace and quality of the game. If youre meaning replay for any key plays near goal-line (like hockey) or maybe even offsides near / in the box area...then im for it.

Holy shit Spain got thier asses kicked...i like it! They cant fail enuff along with Brazil.

What they need to do is give players retroactive red cards and suspensions for diving. It's the only way to stop it. If you can easily get away with it, why stop doing it?

Missed the early games. I can't beleive the way Spain was hammered.

Drastic, but whatever it takes to rid of it sure.

Also, this Chili v Australia match has been quite good.

God no...theyd be reviewing things all day long. They just need to ref / call the game differently. Send the message ro players "enuff of playing shit up". I mean what other sport can you get taken off on a stretcher only to return minutes later. Cleaning that shit up would help the pace and quality of the game. If youre meaning replay for any key plays near goal-line (like hockey) or maybe even offsides near / in the box area...then im for it.

Holy shit Spain got thier asses kicked...i like it! They cant fail enuff along with Brazil.

Penalties aren't fouls my good man, this isn't the hockey thread! Just anything that is game changing. Definitely fouls inside the box, maybe free kicks outside the box as well, but that's probably years away.

Penalties aren't fouls my good man, this isn't the hockey thread! Just anything that is game changing. Definitely fouls inside the box, maybe free kicks outside the box as well, but that's probably years away.

I know what thread this is my friend and what ive said it makes sense. Dont know where youre at here? My point was with all the antics and players trying to draw fouls in the box as you say...the refs need to nut up here and change how the game is called. The fouls in the box and free kicks is whats in question here and whatever it is that causes or leads to this. Think we're saying the same thing here in different ways?