This is for the musicians...

†Russel Allen†®

The King of Terrors
Jul 25, 2002
SP - Brazil
www.symphonyx.com
Which Symphony X's songs you can play?!?!?!?! I mean all of you, bassists, singers, guitarrists, drummers, keyplayers, etc., etc....

Well, I'm a guitarrist, and I play the following songs:
(by album order)

Masquerade
The Damnation Game
Dressed to Kill
The Edge of Forever
Whispers
A Winter's Dream (pt. I & II)
Of Sins and Shadows
Out of the Ashes
The Accolade
Pharaoh
The Eyes of Medusa
The Divine Wings of Tragedy (not entirely, of course)
Candlelight Fantasia (not a few of the accoustic intro thingy)
Smoke and Mirrors
Church of the Machine
In the Dragon's Den
Through the Looking Glass
The Relic
Orion - The Hunter
Lady of the Snow
Prelude
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Fallen
Communion and the Oracle
The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm
Transcendence (segue)
Egypt
Abscence of Light (still workin' on that)

And the rest, I don't play yet, 'cause I'm a little lazy... hehehehehe... others I don't play 'cause it's to hard... of, in the case of "The Witching Hour", I don't have the interest on playin' that one... :p

I can play Sea of Lies, Candlelight Fantasia and most of Church of the Machine. I never really got into learning SX tunes... I can't be bothered tuning down to play along with them. LOL Well... that and the fact I find Romeo hard to keep up with. LOL ;-)

Alden

I play guitar, but I can't play a damn thing Michael Romeo plays. I have been working on the rhythm for Sea of Lies forever (I don't even attempt his leads). I can do a decent air guitar to his stuff, especially after I got the Guitar Chapter video!

i play guitar but obviously i'm not at romeo's level yet so i can't play any syx song on guitar:D but also i play keyboards an i play some solos of pinnela and some keyboard parts i'm still trying to figure out where i can find some dam transcripts oh and i sing also all of syx songs btw

Been playing for a long time here. I learned bit and pieces of some songs but never learned any Symphony X song all the way through. I want to but I tune differently and since I only have one electric at the moment I don't like switching the tunings.

My hope is to have a new guitar by the end of this year that will be my D tuned guitar. BTW I only play ESP

Nice list you compiled for playing but do you have any people you jam with or a band that can play them as well???

Bear

ummm, lets see...

Masquerade 98
Of Sins and Shadows (excluding the 2nd solo :D)
Sea of Lies
parts of the Damnation Game and Dressed to Kill solos
Eyes of Medusa
most of Smoke and Mirrors

Thats about it. I've actually never really beared down and completely mastered any SyX song...just kinda worked on the licks that I liked a lot, hehe.

hmm well , right now i mostly work on the techniques of romeo and other guitar players , once i have them down then i turn on to playin the songs which becomes easier ! for me that is !! :headbang:

if u can play flight of the bumblebee - then your speed pickin is great :D

if u can play perpetual burn - then your sweeps are great :D

if u can play the intro solo to TDWOT - u are on your way :D

if u can play all of those in less than 10 min - call me , i'll sign u up :Smokedev:

Hey Russel i'm a drummer and if i practise i can play almost everything Jason and Tom(Walling) play but i have a hard time with the tripple bassdrumparts in Church and Jasons solo in The death of balance cause i think its an improv part and its his view of the song.Hope to see ya with Starone in 013 tilburg in sept ok.Anxious for the new cd,see ya man,Stanford

Originally posted by NITRO666
Hey Russel i'm a drummer and if i practise i can play almost everything Jason and Tom(Walling) play but i have a hard time with the tripple bassdrumparts in Church and Jasons solo in The death of balance cause i think its an improv part and its his view of the song.Hope to see ya with Starone in 013 tilburg in sept ok.Anxious for the new cd,see ya man,Stanford

That is awesome!!! Now, answer me which drummer you prefer... Jason Rullo or Tom Walling?!?! I guess that both has its features... like, to me, Tom is much more technical and perfeccionist, ya know... like, every single beat must be played in its pretty right damn time... heheheheh... and Rullo, to me, is more "ass-kicker"... hehehehehe... like, a real metal drummer... play things with more feeling than Mr. Walling... :)

well...as a guitarist, i can't play any song start to finish (except transcendence part one)...but ther'es a couple on which i'm damn close!
out of the ashes, and sea of lies...i can play most of the riffs and solos but there's a couple of fills (like the first fill in the main verse, i think its right before the first solo in sea of lies...or this fill in the accolade...they're ridiculous! ;) ) and some of romeo's tapping arpeggios are too fast to figure out

i have a decent idea how to play the accolade, church of the machine solos, some of the divine wings of tragedy and candlelight fantasia

Originally posted by The_Accolade
well...as a guitarist, i can't play any song start to finish (except transcendence part one)...but ther'es a couple on which i'm damn close!
out of the ashes, and sea of lies...i can play most of the riffs and solos but there's a couple of fills (like the first fill in the main verse, i think its right before the first solo in sea of lies...or this fill in the accolade...they're ridiculous! ;) ) and some of romeo's tapping arpeggios are too fast to figure out

i have a decent idea how to play the accolade, church of the machine solos, some of the divine wings of tragedy and candlelight fantasia

Yeah man, the 2nd solo in the accolade is a BITCH, cause you have to go from a sweep at like the 23rd fret straight into one of his min7 tapped arps.

Sea of lies was one song I started to learn and got 1/2 way at it.. However that fast tapping interlude with string skipping was a pain in the ass when in standard tuning, there is no sustain when playing some romeos stuff in standard. So i just stoped at that, I belive that in his tuning much of the guitar work requires less force than when i play it in standard.

Originally posted by Rudess
Well I play keyboards, and I can play every song of Symphony X

If your first name is Jordan and you play for some band called Dream Theater then I would bet that you can!!:lol:

im a keyboards player and i can play
out of the ashes
the accolade
candlelight fantasie
through the looking glass (live version, extended keyboard solo)
fool's paradise
and rediscvory - complete 1 & 2.

including all the orchastration.
now working on v's prelude, gonna be kinda hard to program all the setups he uses there, mucho sounds!

I play clarinet and saxophone...
So a little hard to play a chord or to program the sounds :p
To transpond is also very hard because clarinet is in bes (b for german, b flat for english)
and sax is in es or e flat...so would be playing lot of ##### :loco:
Also the fingers have to move very fast :cry:
I think I'm going to focuss on something different then replay a guitar.....

Greetz