Tiamat - Prey

insidethefall

somewhere nowhere
Jan 26, 2003
pittsburgh, pa
Visit site
Once again, Tiamat releases a great cd that will be overlooked, sadly. Prey is nothing different from that last two, but a somewhat darker release than Judas Christ (That means no "angel holograms") but a few songs that are a bit poppish, but overall a very satisfying listen with some great female vocals in a couple of the songs.

They still remain one of my favorites

Don Corleone said:
their last two releases werent THAT good. they had some excellent tracks but i wouldnt call them "great albums." nothing like wildhoney or a deeper kind of slumber which are just magnificent.
I agree that Wildhoney and especially "A deeper..." were amazing, I feel that with their change of direction, people kinda swept em under the rug when in fact they were still creating good songs, only in a different way. It's much different than a band who changes and is just crap. I think edlund is a genious, his appraoch is rather simple (sometimes maybe 3 chords per song) but the lyrical appraoch and the impact of the songs are quite unique, especially for a "gothic rock/metal" band.

To whoever asked about the vocals, they aren't growled they are sung (or more like spoken) very thick accent, the music ranges from slow moody songs to more poppy tracks...very addicting

Don Corleone said:
their last two releases werent THAT good. they had some excellent tracks but i wouldnt call them "great albums." nothing like wildhoney or a deeper kind of slumber which are just magnificent.

OOHH Atlantis a Lover!!! my favorite Tiamat song :cool:

Well Skeletron wasn't very good for me, I haven't listened Judas Ch., only that love song :ill: which is better? :erk:

I have heard Prey, and I am totally unimpressed. I will still buy it, since I am a completist, but I won't listen to it nearly as much as A Deeper Kind Of Slumber and the stuff before that. The songwriting this time around is just not up to snuff, and I find the riff patterns are just uninteresting. Not to mention the drumming is totally uninventive. Christ, Edlund even goes so far as to plagiarize Tom Petty on Clovenhoof. I do realize that their glory days are over, as I think that Edlund has simply gotten too lost in his image to remember what he was originally about. As he even says himself, he doesn't quite know to wear a crucifix upright or upside down. Methinks it is time for him to retire.

Reactions: Erik
ah.. I wanted a thread about it but didnt dare to make cos i thought ppl dont like it.. haha. Its a bit rock and party music as last ones but I think it has much from their classics like Deeper kind of.. Great album!!!!!

i remember this gig some years ago with anathema. tiamat was headliner but after anathema did their thing, lots of ppl were leaving the venue. hahaha

oh fuck tiamat. im listening to a new machine head track and theyre deffo back. :hotjump: ill run to the cd shop today! cheers arnaud!!!! :yell:

okay serious now. i have the feeling tiamat is an everything or nothing band. sometimes they do good stuff, another time bad stuff. imo.

I think Skeleton Skeletron has been quite undervalued, it contains some great songs and the overall atmosphere it creates is extremely interesting...
Judas Christ hadn't impressed me at all, and the same goes for Prey... an album which has nothing to say, IMO :(

aye. ss is terribly undervalued indeed. easily the best tiamat for me. then it's clouds. wildhoney may be considered a classic but apart from 3-4 songs i really don't dig the album.

when they played the summer breeze one year ago, the guitar guy was dressed like ace frehley.

Mariner said:
oh fuck tiamat. im listening to a new machine head track and theyre deffo back. :hotjump: ill run to the cd shop today! cheers arnaud!!!! :yell:

Yep, the new MH is the album they should have recorded after The More Things Change, and I've listened to the new Tiamat this afternoon, boring...

well tiamat has been boring ever since wildhoney. and the black-metal-episodes before weren't too bright either. i just don't get what should be brilliant about this band. it's just comatose. and good for a laugh sometimes.

And what I love about the new album is that IT HAS FUCKING BLOODY GREAT KICKASS GUITAR SOLOS and riffs and rocks and that.. GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interesting that on amazon it has the same release day as Natural Disaster, and the Prey limited digi cd page says "Kunden, die diese CD gekauft haben, haben auch diese Musiktitel gekauft: A Natural Disaster/Lim.Digi ~ Anathema " and even more: they sell them together, Prey and Natural D. for Eur 32.98!!!!!!!!!! I wanna buy!!!!!
I love it!
B0000D95X4.03.THUMBZZZ.jpg
+
B0000DIXRU.03.THUMBZZZ.jpg
= AAAAAAAAh