Timo Tolkki's new project "SYMFONIA"

Yea, I'm not too keen on spending a total of $40 (again) on a CD, what with the shipping and tax and all that, but... I may just suck it up and buy it :(

Also, I can't believe it took me this long to realize that more than likely part of Tolkki's inspiration behind the name was Bach's sinfonias. D'oh...

Three full-length songs, via Japanese radio POWER ROCK TODAY, have been posted on YouTube. Proceed at your own peril.

Fields Of Avalon

Forevermore

Santiago

Last edited by a moderator:
I only had time to hear Fields of Avalon through the solos until the final chorus began, but I really like what I hear. The production sounds great, and those are some really speedy (and interesting) solos. I always love hearing Mikko's work... looks like he has no trouble keeping up with Tolkki, either! That was a great synth solo and the Stratovarius-sounding harpsichord/guitar duet after that actually brought a smile to my face.

I'm extremely happy that Tolkki seems to be back in form, finally writing quality power metal that he's so renowned for.

Again, I'm still trying to get used to Andre's incredibly nasally voice, especially in those really high notes, but I think I'll get used to it soon enough. I've seen plenty of live videos of the guy and he does an excellent job - maybe the only vocalist I prefer hearing live than in the studio! :lol:

Most definitely, I just listened to the album and this is exactly what it sounds like.

Michael, have you got your copy yet that you ordered?

Unfortunately, no, but I'm patient. Sad to say with all the samples and songs that have already come out on the website and radio programs, the album's pretty much already been played, so I've technically already heard it - but the album should be coming... in a few weeks... :erk:

Can't wait to see the booklet and liner notes!

I'd say so. Especially if you like Avantasia. Keyboards standout especially duelling against some Timo shred. The album's nothing mind-blowing for me and of course doesn't stand up to the last Strato albums but there's nice variety between the tracks and Andre really delivers on each.

From Tolkki's facebook just a moment ago:

I have nice news for you. We are planning to celebrate the 30 year existence of Stratovarius with the Original Dreamspace line up releasing an album in January 2012.
Classical Variations VOL 1 will be rereleased as remastered version with new album VOL 2 with bonus DVD including interviews. I will play guitar,bass and sing. Drummer will be John Macaluso. Release will be mid September.
Symfonia will be active later this year with gigs around Sonisphere France. Hope you like the news. Happy Easter :) -Timo

Woo!