top 10 releases 2006

Marlies

veteran headbanger \m/
Jan 3, 2002
Regina, SK, Canada
www.wobben.org
1. Into Eternity - The Scattering Of Ashes - (www.myspace.com/officialintoeternity) - perfect and unique mix of death and prog with awesome death, clean and some falsetto vocals :)
2. Benedictum - Uncreation (www.myspace.com/benedictum) - the female Dio, just awesome
3. Communic - Waves of Visual Decay (www.myspace.com/communic) - for all Nevermore fans
4. Textures - Drawing Circles (www.myspace.com/textures) - brutal mix of death, hardcore, prog etc
5. Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse - still very Evergrey to me, so I still love it
6. Doro - Warrior Soul - most Warlock like album since many years
7. Marcel Coenen - The Colour Journey (www.myspace.com/marcelcoenen) - versatile songwriter and awesome guitarist, lots of guests on this album
8. Assailant - Nemesis Within (www.myspace.com/assailantsweden) - w/elements of Evergrey, In Flames, Morgana Lefay etc
9. Jon Oliva's Pain - Maniacal Renderings - for all old Savatage fans!
10. Vanden Plas - Christ O - just a great progmetal album

But.. I did not hear these possible candidates yet:
Wolverine, Zero Hour, Antiquus (just ordered!), Eidolon (got it, but hardly listened yet), Vicious Rumors, Metal Church, Celtic Frost, Slayer, The Orchard (got it, not listened yet).

I also enjoyed: Delirious (http://www.myspace.com/deliriousragerselite), Iron Fire (http://www.myspace.com/officialironfire), Mercenary, Axamenta (http://www.myspace.com/axamenta), Kataklysm.

I´m reading a lot of good things about Benedictum and Vanden Plus, got to try them. Also your Doro comment is interesting, will try that as well.

I didn´t really pay attention in 2006 to new releases due to lack of time. Some that I like though are ...

Paul Stanley ... Live to Win
Sabaton ... Attero Dominatus
Motorhead ... Kiss of Death
John Olivia´s Pain ... Maniacal Renderings
Slayer ... Christ Illusion

The one I was really looking forward to (besides Paul Stanley :worship: ) was Celtic Frost / Monotheist ....big dissappointment.

Well, here's mine to add to the thread :)

1)Vanden Plas - Christ 0 (The best progmetal release of the year and just a perfect record overall. VP reach the elite of progmetal with this).

2)Communic - Waves of Visual Decay (This is just an amazing album as the Norwegian trio breaks out with a record full of emotion and great riffs. These guys are meant for bigger things).

3)Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress (Much more melodic and better arranged than their debut. In a extremely crowded genre they are able to release a record worthy of the Gothenburg sound).

4) Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings (A great progmetal release with a slight touch of AOR melodies that gives it a breath of fresh air.)

5) Angra - Aurora Consurgens (This Brazilian quintet gets a more direct approach and makes this record a joy to listen to. Superb musicianship!)

6) Pyramaze – Legend of the Bone Carver(A great record with enough crunch to avoid the "power metal" cliches. It helps that Lance King comes up with great vocal melodies throughout!)

7)Kayser Hang the World...Frame it on the Wall ( A surprising record that has a bit of everything even though it stays on the thrash side of things. Ex-Spiritual Beggars vocalist gets a new lease on life with this one!)

8) Mercenary - The Hours That Remain (Danish quintet gets busy and delivers a record a bit more polished than 11 Dreams without losing their quality. Great job!)

9) Amon Amarth – With Oden On Our Side (This is their best of their last three records, it's that simple. If you like Viking Metal, these guys are a must).

10) Into Eternity – The Scattering Of Ashes (It was hard to beat Buried into Oblivion but Tim Roth proves that he's the soul of this band and comes up with a record close to that classic. These guys may be Canada's best export at the moment!)

There were other records left out but it was a good year for metal. Let's hope BS makes it an even better 2007 with their new album!:headbang:

Mercenary are Danish ;)

Interesting list! I have a few of them in mine as well, Scar Symmetry I don't like (don't like the genre) but some of the other bands I should check out I believe!

And Into Eternity.. whether old fans or ex members like it or not, Tim truly is the soul of this band and he's the most driven musician I know. Despite troubles to get and keep the right people together (normal troubles for any hardworking touring band I would say), I'm never worried about Into Eternity. I do hope that Stu's gonna be on board forever :worship: I think he was the missing link for that band. They have yet to come to Europe in this line-up but I was able to see a short set when we were in Canada last October. Man, he's an awesome frontman and really as good as on CD :headbang:

1. Solitude Aeturnus - Alone
2. WOLF - The Black Flame
3. Persuader - When Eden Burns
4. KRUX - II
5. Raise Hell - City Of The Damned
6. Hammerfall - Threshold
7. Steel Attack - Diabolic Symphony
8. Eidolon - The Parallel Otherworld
9. Sabaton - Attero Dominatus
10.Vicious Rumors - Warball