Traditional Metal

that was funny, go back 15 years and it's just dodens posting them in any thread :lol: even @Einherjar86 got tired of it when he listened to metal and contributed here :lol:

82067186.jpg

Reactions: CiG
i’d probably hate them in a lot of contexts but they fit the mood of the album perfectly imo.

several albums i mentioned (not colony) have objectively awesome vocalists though, i was surprised by how many there were! tower in particular stand out in that respect for me.

The Starscape vocals fucking own and I don't know why so many people struggle with them. Most soulful, distinctive performance of the year and the album would be worse with any other vocalist.

The Fortress guy might be my favorite "conventional" vocalist in that list and I'm surprised the album didn't make the list. The filler speed metal songs are a bit hackneyed ("Devil's Wheel" can fuck right off) but the moodier cuts are sooooo good.

Last edited:
i do get it ‘cause it’s a forced and kinda nasal tone and he doesn’t exactly always hit the notes, but yeah there’s an air of fragility and desperation to them that really works for such a doomed sci-fi quest. gives the album more personality and emotion than a conventional singer would for sure. re: my top 10 it’s actually the galaxy vocalist i had the most trouble with.

Actually just noticed the Fortress album *is* in your top 10, I was sure it was in the HMs for some reason. Oh well can't read.

haha yeah it’s there and i also highlighted the vocals, they’re great. agree ‘devil’s wheel’ is the weak point along with ‘red light runner’. i noticed you listening to the playlists, any other reactions/thoughts/feelings/musings/pontifications?

I didn't get around to checking out everything yet. I was very impressed by the songwriting on Galaxy but the vocals were an immediate letdown. Conventional vocals with poor tonal control is so much more annoying to me than whatever the fuck the Starscape guy is doing.

Discovered this band recently, pretty neat. They have some real anthem level tracks here.

OIP.g7Fzws9Rwse9rRJQDPpJcQHaHa

It’s not doom so there’s no point to post it there.

depressing as fuck. Listened to it twice since I bought the digibook but it’s pretty dismal. Think I’d rather listen to sad old country when I’m down than that.

Reactions: rms and CiG